Car Insurance...who doesn't suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saleen781 View Post
    if you call your ins co and tell them it is a divorce situation they will take her off your policy and automatically set her up on her own. you will need to give them information on where she is so they can contact her to set up her policy, but she will be covered in the meantime. at least that's what Geico does a a courtesy.
    LMMFAO!! UM.... NO. They can NOT remove a spouse without the spouse's knowledge and written consent. At least that's what the law says. The best they can offer it to remove the person calling since , afterall he's the one calling to request the change, and then they also remove his vehicle and provide him the same program/policy as they once had combined....but there's a catch. You lose the rate for being married, (for most companies that's applicable unless the policy is more than 5 years old) you lose the multi-car discount, unless you have more than one car to move. You keep your discounts and longivety you've built with the company. You just get a new policy number.

THEN the insurance company is required to contact the spouse left on the original policy to be sure they have a good address for the spouse, and re-rate the original policy to change marital status to single/separated as well.

That way, if you move your stuff, you take over responsibility on your own vehicles. If she doesn't pay the bill on what's left for her and her vehicles...the original policy at that.... then whatever happens to that policy is all on HER.

The best time to do this change is at renewal, or on a payment due date. That way you don't lose any money you've paid into the original policy because you're switching on the date that you were paid up through.

(example : You pay 6 months in full, then split off 3 months later.....the 3 month return in premium goes to the policy holder... in this case, her. You pay monthly on the 15th each month....and you change over on the 1st.... that 15day return premium will be credited to her account.... so always be sure you switch to a policy on your own no earlier than the date you're currently paid up through on the combined policy.)

THAT's how it's done properly.
    Originally posted by Vertnut
    I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      Hmm. When the ex and I got a divorce, all I did was call and tell them to remove her from the policy and it was done. It was originally opened in my name, and I've been a customer for ten years, so not sure if that makes a difference or not.
      They weren't supposed to do that. They can remove you at your request, or they contacted her and received her written permission to do that. If they didn't, then they broke an insurance law and that happens quite often in the industry with people who have a license and never fucking keep up with laws, and that's what agents get for being uneducated on what they're NOT supposed to do. I'm willing to bet it was support staff and not the agent themself that did this for you if it was done by your one phone call request.

Just because a customer starts off single, then gets married, doesn't make texas any LESS of a community property state, including but not limited to insurance policies.

I assure you the same rules apply to State Farm as every other company in Texas. There are underwriting differences between companies, but customer protection / documentation is the same across the board.

Say Jodi had an at fault wreck two days after you called and removed her/her car(s), and found out she and her car(s) had been dropped with her knowledge/consent. A) The insurance company would be up a GIGANTIC shit creek for doing that if they can't provide HER written authorization for that policy change B) They'd certainly have to pay that claim providing they didn't get her written consent.

Comment

i heard this chick finishes the deals, if you know what i mean
        pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
          i heard this chick finishes the deals, if you know what i mean
          I've been out of work about 80% of the time since 8/29/11. I do what I can, but I'm not the be all/end all of insurance....I just try my hardest to satisfy the customer base that has me out numbered 1,100 to 1. That's just my personal customer base. There's another 5k+ clients that I have to tend to as well when I'm at the office.

I know I know... *GASP* Kim is acually not God and can't do 150 things at one time. Hard to believe, I know. But I'm only human and can only do what is asked of me as soon as I'm able to, and have several alternate avenues ANY customer can take to expedite something if waiting for me isn't in the cards.

Or.... you can be like the handful I've had that expect me to do everything including wipe their ass.

Either way, you're right. I try my hardest to finish the deal. Just not happy endings

Comment

Paying for insurance, sucks. There is no way around that one. It is mandatory by law and, if you are leasing that new car, then the lender of the money demands specific coverages for that car. After all, they want to protect their investment.
            Cheap Health Insurance

Comment

Originally posted by johnjessi View Post
              Paying for insurance, sucks. There is no way around that one. It is mandatory by law and, if you are leasing that new car, then the lender of the money demands specific coverages for that car. After all, they want to protect their investment.
              Cheap Health Insurance
              Go fuck yourself.

Comment

State Farm is badass. I was given 6k for a 200k mile 98 when it was involved in a hit and run. On top of that, I told them I had just put new heads and tranny in, so they threw me another 2k. No questions or proof of receipts.

30$/mo isn't bad for a 21 y/o driver and full coverage. Then again, that's because I'm under my dad.
                Full time ninja editor.

Comment

We use state farm for the cars and farmers for the house.

Comment

For me, no one can come close to GEICO's rates, not even in the same ballpark. And I've shopped EVERYONE. They are more expensive on motorcycles though, I get the best moto rates from State Farm or Progressive.

Comment

Working...
                    X