No announcement yet.

If anyone in ur family has asthma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter, when she was 2-3, had a number of real bad asthma attacks. I remember taking her to the hospital in the middle of the night once a week it seemed for many weeks and only after getting a shot of Adrenaline did it help. On one occasion, after the second trip to the ER, she had to have multiple shots that night and after the last one (no more could be given) she finally stopped the attack for that night. It was real sad seeing her in that bed with a tent covering her so she could breath the oxygen rich air....(it looked like a fog inside the tent). I know what you are going thru.

Kids are strong and he will pull thru!

As she got older (pre-teen), we took her to an allergists to start allergy shots and that seemed to help quell the attacks. She is in her 40's now and her only child had no signs of asthma, so maybe she will be fortunate.

Hang in there!
    Mustangs previously owned:
    1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
    1992 LX AOD
    1993 LX Drag Car
    1995 GTS
    1997 Cobra
    2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
    Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
    2016 Honda Accord Touring
    2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
      Get a Chihuahua. I have no clue as to how it works, but they do. My wife has asthma and we were spending hundreds of dollars monthly and sometimes weekly. The Dr. told her to get a Chihuahua, so we did. I have heard this before but always thought it was a wise tale. We have had our Chihuahua for 3 years and my wife has had 2 attacks since, and they were not bad.
      The term is "old wives' tale".

As for the Chihuahua, I had some nasty asthma when I was younger and got a chihuahua. It didn't seem to help. His name was Henry and he ended up getting hit by a car and losing an eye in the process. For many years he just had one eye.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by broncojohnny View Post

as for the chihuahua, i had some nasty asthma when i was younger and got a chihuahua. It didn't seem to help. His name was henry and he ended up getting hit by a car and losing an eye in the process. For many years he just had one eye.
        lmao

Comment

Update: the doctors took him off the ventilator this morning he can fully breath on his own and is awake and talking. I appreciate everyone's prayers and support thank yall so much it has meant a lot to me and my family.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonw_2005 View Post
            If any in ur family has asthma hold them close tonight. Earlier today for the 3rd time in his life my little brother had to be care flighted to a hospital due to a severe asthma attack he is in ICU at Harris a machine is breathing for him but the outlook is positive. Any prayers would be appreciated. Y'all have a good night.
            My 10 year old is a severe asthmatic. I have to keep on me at all times, his albuterol nebulizer, his advair, his xopenex, his nasonex, and singulair. That way no matter where we are, I am armed to the eyeballs with preventative meds that kick off his asthma. I was called out Thursday and Friday for his asthma acting up at school. Ended up at Cook's for the better part of Friday night while they had hooked up to oxygen and inside a sterile breathing chamber so nothing could set off his allergies, which in turn sets off his asthma.

I never smoked when I was pregnant, but he was born with asthma since day one and misdiagnosed by the same cunt pediatrician until he was 9 1/2 years old. If finally over stepped her and took him straight to cooks ER where he was admitted for his O2 being in the high 70's. From there, once stabilized, the ER gave me a referral to the pediatric pulmonoligist he now sees every 6 months. After speaking to the respiratory pulmonologist, I found out that smokers carry the tiny particles that set off asthma in their clothes, hair, everywhere. I quit smoking less than one month of his diagnosis after I found a letter from him asking me to please stop smoking. He wasn't asking me for his sake. He learned at school that smokers typically live shorter lives and it scared him that I could die from it.

I made his promise a reality the very same day and I haven't regretted it for a second.

Prayers for your little brother. I'll keep an eye out for feed back on his progress, so don't forget to let us know when he's released!!!
            Originally posted by Vertnut
            I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

When I was a kid I had to look out for dusty houses, pollen in the air and cats. If I went over to someone's house and they had any of those things I would have an allergic reaction and it would trigger an asthma attack shortly after.

Also, a good cardio exercise routine helps combat it. Building up the heart and lungs really helps. You just have to watch out for exercise induced asthma when you first start an exercise routine. As time goes by, the exercise induced attacks will usually go away.
              Last edited by Broncojohnny; 10-24-2011, 04:52 PM.
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                The term is "old wives' tale".

As for the Chihuahua, I had some nasty asthma when I was younger and got a chihuahua. It didn't seem to help. His name was Henry and he ended up getting hit by a car and losing an eye in the process. For many years he just had one eye.
                Actually, she never told anything!
                Photobucket

Comment

When I was a kid I had to look out for dusty houses, pollen in the air and cats. If I went over to someone's house and they had any of those things I would have an allergic reaction and it would trigger an asthma attack shortly after.

Also, a good cardio exercise routine helps combat it. Building up the heart and lungs really helps. You just have to watch out for exercise induced asthma when you first start an exercise routine. As time goes by, the exercise induced attacks will usually go away.

X2. I had Asthma although not a bad case. I supposedly outgrew it? My Dr. never put me on an inhaler. I just remember the horrible days of gettin sick. Felt like someone was sitting on your chest while trying to breath. God I hated that feeling. But as said here the last thing you wanna do is cut out the cardio like my parents did with me. I would always breathe through my mouth and until recently learned to breathe only through my nose when running. I tell you what running makes me feel like a million bucks now. I breathe better and ultimately sleep better.

and oh yeah keep him away from any smokers.
                  2012 5.0 M6
                  sigpic

Comment

Same here to the "T" Al lol

I competed on the swim team as it was not on some sort of grassy field and due to the cardio and the effect the pool had on on my breathing issues. I was pretty good at it and didn't suffer all that much. I kept an inhaler in my equipment bag and would have to use it after pretty much all my races. I would almost blackout from being out of breath competing and would had to learn how to calm my breathing and use my inhaler effectively.

I am alot better today and only have occasional flare ups either caused by real dusty areas, most dogs and cats, and some allergens I haven't outgrown.

Back to the OP....glad to hear your lil bro is doing better and hope for a speedy recovery for him.

Comment

This thread made me finally go to the dr today. I already had a Ventolin inhaler and Albulterol for my nebulizer but she also game meSymbicort, Cetirizine, and Methyiprednisolone

maybe this will get me back to occasional use of the inhaler and nebulizer instead of 3-4 times a day.

Glad to her he is doing better.
                      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Any prayers would be appreciated.
                        Done.

Comment

If any in ur family has asthma hold them close tonight. Earlier today for the 3rd time in his life my little brother had to be care flighted to a hospital due to a severe asthma attack he is in ICU at Harris a machine is breathing for him but the outlook is positive. Any prayers would be appreciated. Y'all have a good night.
                          I do. cant beathe at all myself right now. When i was a kid the hospital trips were normal. damn near died once.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteboy View Post
                            ...damn near died once.
                            Damn...missed opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                            X