Went for a ride on Saturday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went for a ride on Saturday....

Saturday I loaded up and headed to the TaliMena drive, 53 miles of somewhat twisty mountains that cross the Oklahoma/Arkansas border. I wanted to test out the luggage for my Indy trip.

Stopped in Atoka for breakfast and fuel, and saw a group of bikes. Caught up to them and rode to Talihina with them. CMA guys, Christian Motorcycle Association. Nice guys, good riders.

We had lunch in Talihina, then rode across the mountains, and stopped to watch some street luging on the mountain. Crazy shit, they almost hit 80 miles an hour.

After we made it to Arkansas, I split off and came back across the mountains. About 17 miles in, I came around a corner and ALMOST HIT A BLACK BEAR! Had to skid the bike a bit.

Apparently yogi doesn't like Kawasakis. He growled, I froze. He turned, and I started backing the bike up. After I backed up enough, we just stared at each other. Eventually he/she wandered off the road. Couldn't go far because we're on a mountain.

The bear got about 15ish feet off the road and I hauled ass! Pretty wild! And frightening.

After that I stopped and smoked a cigar on the mountain, then headed home. Saw a deer on highway 43. Took about 4 hours to get home.

I need to start wearing a camera. I see too much interesting stuff.

I was on the zx10r for the better part of 13 hours Saturday.
    Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Sounds like an interesting ride. What luggage did you decide to go with and what year ZX-10 did you pick up? If you posted I must have missed it. I switched with a buddy of mine and rode his 05 ZX-10 for an afternoon and that was a fun bike.

Comment

There's a ton of deer on 43. My in-laws own some cabins up there at the intersection of 2 and 43 at Sardis Lake.

Comment

I've done Talimena 3 times...first time we rode from Hot Springs on a hot June day (that sucked balls), second time we stayed in Talihena and rode to Mena during late March...kinda cool in the morning with fog..the third in a car a long time ago. It was fun as hell on a bike. Lots of wildlife up there...snakes, bears, deer...saw all of them. I would love to go back.

Comment

Luggage on a 10r? Blasphemy! Get any good pics?

Comment

Originally posted by O.C. View Post
            Sounds like an interesting ride. What luggage did you decide to go with and what year ZX-10 did you pick up? If you posted I must have missed it. I switched with a buddy of mine and rode his 05 ZX-10 for an afternoon and that was a fun bike.
            cortech saddlebags and cortech gigantic tank bag on a 2014 zx10r!

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
              There's a ton of deer on 43. My in-laws own some cabins up there at the intersection of 2 and 43 at Sardis Lake.
              I saw one deer on 43 on the way back, big ass doe.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                I've done Talimena 3 times...first time we rode from Hot Springs on a hot June day (that sucked balls), second time we stayed in Talihena and rode to Mena during late March...kinda cool in the morning with fog..the third in a car a long time ago. It was fun as hell on a bike. Lots of wildlife up there...snakes, bears, deer...saw all of them. I would love to go back.
                I've been up there on my old V-Star, the Harley (StreetBob), the gsxr750, and now the zx10r. I think, total, I've been 7 times now. Love it up there.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                  Luggage on a 10r? Blasphemy! Get any good pics?
                  Not really, I got a couple from the vistas, but nothing really to write home about. This was more of a road test and endurance test for my ride to Indiana than anything.

Comment

13 hours?? you could have made it to my place and been an hour into a cigar in that time..

just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                      13 hours?? you could have made it to my place and been an hour into a cigar in that time..

just sayin.
                      Yeah, Matt. You pussy.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post

just sayin.
                        Not quite, good sir. That's about 18 hours, give or take some.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          Yeah, Matt. You pussy.
                          Let's ride! I'm going to Indiana in August.

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
                            cortech saddlebags and cortech gigantic tank bag on a 2014 zx10r!

Those are nice I had the same on my Hayabusa. Have you looked into a throttle meister for the trip?

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
                              Not quite, good sir. That's about 18 hours, give or take some.
                              Not on a 10r

Comment

Working...
                              X