Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New law for Texas Motorcyclists now in effect

Pulled this from KXII New's website.

A new Texas law took effect yesterday that could change the way motorcyclists carry their passengers.

It's been over 4 years since Malorie Bullock lost her life in a motorcycle accident, and ever since then her parents have been pushing for stricter motorcycle regulations.

On Thursday the last section of the bill they pushed for took effect.

"When you have a passenger you need to be more careful," Texas Rep. Larry Phillips, who introduced this legislation, said. "You need to, you have to take that into consideration when your driving your motorcycle."

The first half of this bill went into effect in September 2013. It requires motorcycle training courses to contain information about how to drive a motorcycle while carrying a passenger.

As of Jan. 1, motorcyclists carrying a passenger are required to have foot rests and hand holds installed on their motorcycle.

It is a Class B Misdemeanor if your caught not following the new law, which means you can be fined up to $2,000 or spend up 180 days in jail.

The new law comes from House Bill 3838 also known as Malorie's Law, named after Malorie Bullock...who was 19 years old when she died from injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident.

In April 2010, Bullock was riding on the back of her boyfriend's motorcycle when it crashed into a ditch and hit a road sign.

"Malorie's parents were instrumental, and her family, friends, and supporters were instrumental in us passing this legislation," Phillips said.

Malorie's parents were contacted regarding the legislation, and they declined comment.
    Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

the passenger holds on to the rider, what more do you want.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
      the passenger holds on to the rider, what more do you want.
      Foot pegs are just common sense. Hand holds, however......where the fuck would they go? I've seen older bikes with the little hand rail deals on the rear end, on either side of the seat. But that doesn't seem stable for the person holding on to them.

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
        Foot pegs are just common sense. Hand holds, however......where the fuck would they go? I've seen older bikes with the little hand rail deals on the rear end, on either side of the seat. But that doesn't seem stable for the person holding on to them.
        yep the handles under your but give you no stabilization and besides once your offroad and in a ditch handles aren't going to do shit for you.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
          yep the handles under your but give you no stabilization and besides once your offroad and in a ditch handles aren't going to do shit for you.
          Exactly.

Comment

doesnt affect me.

Comment

How does her crash relate to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                How does her crash relate to this?
                Pissed of family that can't accept what happened and thinking they are doing good.

So in other words nothing.

Comment

Kind of interesting read:

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Hmm, do handles on the top of saddlebags count as passenger holds?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      That's from 2011. Apparently it actually passed and became law, as of the 1st. The article I grabbed is from the local news, and is recent.

EDIT: Still a good read though.

Comment

Here's the original article from April of 2010. RIP to her, but how are hand holds going to help the bolded part?

CAMPBELL, TX - A 19-year-old college student from Sherman was killed in a motorcycle accident last night in Hunt County.

Texas DPS Troopers say Malorie Bullock was a passenger on 19-year-old Tanner Burnett's motorcycle around 10:30 last night when he hit a curve going too fast on Highway 24 just north of Interstate 30 in Campbell, Texas, a few miles south of where both attended college at Texas A&M University at Commerce.

Troopers say the motorcycle went into the center bar ditch and hit a road sign. Malorie Bullock was pronounced dead at the scene. Burnett was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas in serious condition with broken bones.

Bullock, a 2008 graduate of Tom Bean High School, is the daughter of Melissa and Rick Bullock, who is a Sherman firefighter.

Chief Jeff Jones says the Sherman Fire Department has set up a fund to help the family with funeral costs at the Cicost Credit Union in Sherman.

Troopers say both riders were wearing helmets when the accident occurred.

Funeral services are scheduled for 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Sherman Bible Church at 2515 West Lamberth in Sherman.

Tom Bean ISD will have an early release on Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. to allow Malorie’s teachers and students to attend her funeral, according to Tom Bean High School principal Roger Ellis.

Comment

I always hook my belt into ntx vstars belt loops when I ride bitch
                          2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                            I always hook my belt into ntx vstars belt loops when I ride bitch
                            It's worked out so far.

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
                              It is a Class B Misdemeanor if your caught not following the new law, which means you can be fined up to $2,000 or spend up 180 days in jail.
                              *You're*.... lol

Edit: I know you didn't write the article.

Comment

Working...
                              X