1/12th Scale 1969 Camaro Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/12th Scale 1969 Camaro Build

Since a couple of people have mentioned my models from Canada, I guess it’s time to bring this over here. I’ve been working on this project off and on for 5 years. I’ve run into various problems over the years that have delayed it. A lack of materials and lack of machining capabilities, among other things. The Final straw that packed it up for good was the wheels. I was never able to find anyone to help me machine some wheels for this thing. Finally I’ve found some daylight. Brooks has offered to help, and I think I might have found someone to machine the centers for me. I would like to have done it all by myself, but some things are better left to people who know what they are doing. I’ll start this from the beginning and take you though the build.

This is where I started, just a 69 Camaro Shell from the Revell/monogram kit

A few body mods, opening up the “vents” in the rear fenders, and flush mount marker lights

Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

More body mods came along the way, shaved drip rails, narrowed bumpers, etc. Then came paint, it started with Sunset Orange Metallic

Comment

I took it to a Model Car Show in Irving, and someone pointed out the “tiger stripes” in the paint. They occurred because I was spraying a metallic paint with a standard air brush. So, I decided to start over, I ended up with solid black and gun metal hockey sticks. I’ve been thinking about changing again and going with Cyber Gray Metallic…Time will tell

Comment

The drive train started with the stock engine and the beginnings of a scratch built t-56

Comment

Next, I decided that the stock engine just wouldn’t do, so I started out on making a scratch built LSx. This is the first go round on the block and the head

Comment

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/black2002ls/pro%20touring%20camaro%2012/DSCF1914.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]

Comment

Comment

I guess a build like this isn’t complete without a little boost huh? This is the scratch build turbo.

Comment

Of course, if you boost it, you better be able to stop it!
                  Start of the rotors out of plastic

Rotor and Hat

Rotors Painted aluminum

Then a change of heart. Carbon rotors

Comment

All that power, better make sure it can get to the ground and handle properly. I cut up the kit rear end and reinforced it. All of the added weight of the resin pieces called for something stronger than a hollow plastic rear end. It done with brass tube. Attached to that are scratch built plastic 4 link and coil over mounts.

Painted black and added some machined bolt heads

How about a functioning 4 link suspension?

Comment

If the rear suspension is going to function, the front might as well work too!
                      Scratch built rack and pinion (not functioning)

Front subframe

A-Arms

Comment

Of Course, with a custom built drive train, you’ve got to have wheels right? I started making some 5 spoke wheels, much like what were on Bob Johnson’s high dollar ‘Cuda.

Comment

Another change of heart led to a new wheel center. These ended up too small, but as of right now, they are the wheels I’m attempting to get replicated

Comment

Amazing work man, that thing is gonna be killer when you finally get it done.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

is it gonne drive itself to the cruise......good lord thats a lot of time your gonna have invested in that thing

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X