Cosigned on student loan - am i screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosigned on student loan - am i screwed

I made the biggest mistake of my life and cosigned on a student loan for a childhood friend many years ago.

I've been making the $386 monthly payments for more years than I care to admit. I've easily dumped $10k on this loan because this MF'er won't pay his debt and I can't afford to have my credit screwed beyond repair.

I know, I signed on the dotted line. It was the dumbest thing I've ever done. My question is: do I have any LEGAL recourse whatsoever? Can I take him to court?

He lives in a nice house. He and his wife both have shiny new cars. His two boys have nice dirt bikes. He has a four wheeler and a cruiser. He's absolutely fucking me and he and his wife both know it. They don't give a shit (his wife recently told his twin brother "fuck him, my family comes first"). I want to burn him down financially if there's any possible way I can do it.

At this point, I don't even care about getting any of my money back. I just want out of the loan. Or I want to confiscate his property, sell it and pay the payments with it. Or put a lien on everything he owns. Something.

The only tiny defense he has is that he's tried to refinance it without me on the loan but his credit isn't good enough (I was in the room when he tried). I even tried refinancing it at a different lender to get better rates and they wouldn't approve the loan if he was on it. And of course none of his or her family are willing to cosign in my stead.

Any ideas?

Lawyer up maybe?
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Have you tried hitting him? (j/k)

Comment

Looks like you're going to have to bang his wife.
        Originally posted by Marisa
        we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
          Originally posted by red89notch View Post
          This! Then take him to civil court and get a judgement that likely won’t do shit
          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
            I made the biggest mistake of my life and cosigned on a student loan for a childhood friend many years ago.

Any ideas?
            If you go to court, you will very likely get a judgememt in your favor. But I bet he’d never pay it too. So your choice is pay or default. If it’s a govt backed loan it’ll never go away either. If its private it might but the phone calls and harrassment will be forever. I signed for my ex and it ended up part of our divorce decree.

Comment

How does he acquire all of those nice things with shitty credit?

I see Karma in his future.

Comment

Shiny new cars? And your paying their bills? I’m sure you’ll figure something out

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Post pictures of the wife.

Comment

What EvilJ said....

and Small claims court..
                      Originally posted by Da Prez
                      Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                      Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        I was going to be disappointed if this wasn't one of the first replies.

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
                        And this.

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        This! Then take him to civil court and get a judgement that likely won’t do shit

My thoughts as well.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                        If you go to court, you will very likely get a judgememt in your favor. But I bet he’d never pay it too. So your choice is pay or default. If it’s a govt backed loan it’ll never go away either. If its private it might but the phone calls and harrassment will be forever. I signed for my ex and it ended up part of our divorce decree.
                        It is private which makes it worse. None of the government programs for student loans apply to private loans.

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                        How does he acquire all of those nice things with shitty credit?

I see Karma in his future.
                        They bought the new house while their credit was up. It helps a lot when someone else is paying the one bill you repeatedly ignore. Works wonders for your credit score.

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                        Post pictures of the wife.
                        I see her maybe once every 3-4 years.

Comment

Paint thinner and a brief messege on a car might get it across

Comment

At least if you get a judgement against him you will have legal right to begin filing liens against him.

Comment

Sorry for the quick response earlier. Fuck him. Not sure what it would cost you out of pocket to get anything done legally but I would just on principle alone. That's fucked up.

Comment

Working...
                              X