Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a compensator always be clocked to vent side-to-side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should a compensator always be clocked to vent side-to-side?

Curious, as when i went to the range this last saturday the RO didnt like how I had my Midwest Industries M-30 compensator clocked. I had it canted up to favor venting at a 1 o clock and 7 o clock position based on what I was reading from Jerry Miculek on how he sets up his comps.

Opinions? Suggestions? Should it always be clocked at 3 and 9?

I have a new locking nut coming to me as I am not a big fan of the crush washer it came with.
    Last edited by 32vfromhell; 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM. Reason: Actual clock was at 1 and 7, not 3 and 9 which would be horizontal.

guessing that venting at 3&9 you are pushing sound and etc. to the folks on either side of you
    also giving me greater appreciation for the range I go to

edit, yes don't blow stuff straight down to blow back up into your line of sight
    Last edited by ryuu; 08-07-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Edited, as I wasnt thinking when i posted, but as you can see from the pictures that its more of a 1:30/7:30 clocking.

I see most but not all muzzle devices at 3/9 o clock for their vent angles, and yes i know well enough to not have it vent downward to blow up into you.

Comment

What exactly was his complaint? Was it causing blast wave directed anyone? If so, Snowflakes should go choke themselves.

I have 6 or 7 brake style ARs. The larger blast ports are at 3/9. My Lantac Dragon also have a smaller group of ports on the top to keep muzzle flip/rise to a minimum. Works all the way down to my 10.5" barrel guns.

Now, the blast that comes from them is pretty intense to anyone around you, but not really felt by the shooter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I was working on getting my rifle sighted in and getting my POA and POI in alignment at 200 yards and considering the rifle and optic were "allegedly" boresighted at 100 yards, and he came over and made a comment saying it's effecting Point-of-Impact severely.

The range i was at has 6x6 logs stacked separating the lanes, so no issue there. Well, unless you were shooting a 50 BMG like we were a few lanes over, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
            Curious, as when i went to the range this last saturday the RO didnt like how I had my Midwest Industries M-30 compensator clocked. I had it canted up to favor venting at a 1 o clock and 7 o clock position based on what I was reading from Jerry Miculek on how he sets up his comps.
            From what I remember, Jerry set up his comp this way for run-and-gun style competition. He felt that this got him him back on target slightly faster. Not sure this will help you when trying to shoot longer range from the bench.

There are lots of good shooters on this forum. To help you troubleshoot, can you post up some more info? What type of barrel are you using? Twist rate? what type of ammo? bullet weight? muzzle velocity? What exactly is happening? Has this rifle been sighted in for shorter distances and you are now try to sight in for 200 yds? What optic are you using?

Comment

I was working on getting my rifle sighted in and getting my POA and POI in alignment at 200 yards and considering the rifle and optic were "allegedly" boresighted at 100 yards, and he came over and made a comment saying it's effecting Point-of-Impact severely.
              It doesn't matter if it is effecting the point of impact just as long as it does so the same every time. There is also not way to tell unless you remove it to see how the zero has changed. He should have minded his own business. The bullet is also mostly past the brake before the gas has a chance to act on it so it may not change much if you are using flat bottom bullets.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Well, unless you were shooting a 50 BMG like we were a few lanes over, lol.
                Liking your range better now

Comment

Why 1/7 as opposed to 3/9? What are the supposed advantages?

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                    From what I remember, Jerry set up his comp this way for run-and-gun style competition. He felt that this got him him back on target slightly faster. Not sure this will help you when trying to shoot longer range from the bench.

There are lots of good shooters on this forum. To help you troubleshoot, can you post up some more info? What type of barrel are you using? Twist rate? what type of ammo? bullet weight? muzzle velocity? What exactly is happening? Has this rifle been sighted in for shorter distances and you are now try to sight in for 200 yds? What optic are you using?
                    Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    Why 1/7 as opposed to 3/9? What are the supposed advantages?

Pretty much above covers it. Jerry felt that it helps to put a cant in it because the pull of your body will also impact the recoil operation, and a cant in it that favors left/right handed shooters helped him snap back to target. I figured the man knows what he was talking about, so I installed the same.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post

Stainless barrel, 1:10 twist, was firing Winchester 147 grain FMJ white box ammo. Optics is a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16 power mounted on a one-piece vortex cantilever mount.

This was the first time out shooting, got boresighted in and then supposedly sighted in at 100 yards when as part of Cabelas free service I took advantage of while i went up there to shop ammo (and pick up a hell of a deal on a ruger 10/22) .

It was around 35 clicks off, shooting into the dirt, so it was frustrating as hell to see how wildly far off it was and I am just not seeing the consistancy yet that i should. I have shot 100 yards before plenty (just not with this rifle) and this is the first one so far that i have really struggled to put bullet to paper. I am extremely new to long distance precision shooting, so its a bit of a learning curve as i reach further and further out. Windage was dead on , but elevation is off.

I had a few pointers on making sure my rifle was dead level with the ground and some trigger control advice, but I was thinking those things i would be having experience with as i reach into 400+ yard shooting, not settling in at a nice easy 200 yards.

Comment

Fed the white box ammo just fine, and could hit steel at 200 yards with 3/4 rounds of Hornady Black ammo, but I had some ejection issues with the ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by ryuu View Post
                          Liking your range better now
                          The Model 99 in question :

Comment

And my shooting position for the day (lefty shooter) :

Comment

But if the cuts are symmetrical (i.e. equal gas output on both sides of the brake) then the net force in that plane should be zero. The only plane with an unequal force should be straight along the barrel axis.

X lbs of force one way and -X lbs of force the other way equals zero no matter which way it's rotated

Comment

Working...
                              X