Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a compensator always be clocked to vent side-to-side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a jam nut on it, and the brake clocked in at 3 and 9. Will maybe head to the range either this weekend or next and start back at 100 yards and make sure everything is consistent and dialed in.

Comment

Swap out that cheap 147 ammo for better consistency.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
        Actually, i am talking about the side-to-side level, not the muzzle angle. Yes, muzzle angle should ideally always be pointed at the berm or below.
        Since you got your scope mounted at Cabelas, I would not guarantee that your scope is level. How I verify is to sight in on a post that is @ 100 yds away. Your vertical crosshair should match perfectly. (Take a level and make sure the post is straight before you try this.)

An optional method you can do at home:
        1. Level your rifle on a table with the butt facing a white wall about 10 ft. or more away.
        2. Shine a very bright flashlight thru the scope on the muzzle end. (backwards)
        3. The crosshairs should project on the wall and you can see if they are level.

Once you get your scope set up, you may want to get a bubble level that attaches to your scope.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
          Since you got your scope mounted at Cabelas, I would not guarantee that your scope is level. How I verify is to sight in on a post that is @ 100 yds away. Your vertical crosshair should match perfectly. (Take a level and make sure the post is straight before you try this.)

An optional method you can do at home:
          1. Level your rifle on a table with the butt facing a white wall about 10 ft. or more away.
          2. Shine a very bright flashlight thru the scope on the muzzle end. (backwards)
          3. The crosshairs should project on the wall and you can see if they are level.

Once you get your scope set up, you may want to get a bubble level that attaches to your scope.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/78...saAnbEEALw_wcB
          Installed the scope to mount myself, used a bubble level on the scope turret and a bubble level on the upper receiver to make sure scope and gun were both level. Now it may have been re-adjusted at cabelas.

Comment

Got a jam nut on it, and the brake clocked in at 3 and 9. Will maybe head to the range either this weekend or next and start back at 100 yards and make sure everything is consistent and dialed in.
            If you decide to go next weekend, let me know and I may go back out there. I'm going to make a quick trip to the range in Sanger tomorrow to see if I can dial that adj gas block in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              If you decide to go next weekend, let me know and I may go back out there. I'm going to make a quick trip to the range in Sanger tomorrow to see if I can dial that adj gas block in.
              I'll probably be out there next saturday, sure.

Comment

Went out today, shot 5-round groups at 2MOA. Still not entirely happy with how its shooting, but its getting there little by little. Couldnt get it dialed in as much as I wanted as I was letting a few others shoot it.

Day ended abruptly as a steel cased 162 grain round failed to eject. The ejector ripped the back half of the casing off and left in the cylindrical casing in the chamber. Fun fun fun.

Comment

Went out today, shot 5-round groups at 2MOA. Still not entirely happy with how its shooting, but its getting there little by little. Couldnt get it dialed in as much as I wanted as I was letting a few others shoot it.

Day ended abruptly as a steel cased 162 grain round failed to eject. The ejector ripped the back half of the casing off and left in the cylindrical casing in the chamber. Fun fun fun.
                  Steel cases? No wonder you're shooting 2MOA, put some real ammo in there!
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Oh, the 2MOA was with a white box of Winchester 147 grain.

I just fed it the steel case ammo just to see what it likes.

Turns out so far :

Runs the Winchester 147 grain like a champ.
                    Hates ejecting the Hornady Black polymer tip ammo. Seems to be promising when it comes to accuracy though.
                    100 degree heat + steel case cheap 165 grain shit leads to sad days.

Got a casing extractor coming my way to fix the problem. Thanks Amazon prime!

Comment

Oh, the 2MOA was with a white box of Winchester 147 grain.

I just fed it the steel case ammo just to see what it likes.

Turns out so far :

Runs the Winchester 147 grain like a champ.
                      Hates ejecting the Hornady Black polymer tip ammo. Seems to be promising when it comes to accuracy though.
                      100 degree heat + steel case cheap 165 grain shit leads to sad days.

Got a casing extractor coming my way to fix the problem. Thanks Amazon prime!
                      I would really suggest trying some quality match ammo before going any further. I would recommend black hills. Ammo plays the biggest part in accuracy.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Try federal gmm or prime ammo.
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Time to pony up and get some training! heh.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                            Time to pony up and get some training! heh.
                            Went ahead and went VIP btw.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              I would really suggest trying some quality match ammo before going any further. I would recommend black hills. Ammo plays the biggest part in accuracy.
                              Speaking of which. When is CJs next match ammo reloading how to day? I've been loading my own, but I think your superior experience could be learned from.

Comment

Working...
                              X