A short lesson about evil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A short lesson about evil...

Since the time of Epicurus in ancient Greece, human philosophers have tried to fathom how evil and the all-powerful, all-good God can coexist. In the video above, an atheist teacher tries to persuade his class that God cannot possibly be exist if evil exists, since God created everything. The silent class’ attention is drawn to a young boy who stands up for his faith. His respectful and thorough dismissal of the “problem of evil” leaves his classmates stunned, and the professor silent. Wait ’til you see just who this young boy is!
    ./ ____ _ _\.
    (]]]_ o _[[[)
    \o_FORD_o/
    |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

God created Evil - God is Evil!

Comment

Isaiah 45:7 (King James Version)

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these*things.

Comment

There is no such thing as evil.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
          There is no such thing as evil.
          I wish I could agree with you, but I've stared it in the eyes. It could also be considered psychopathic/crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
            I wish I could agree with you, but I've stared it in the eyes. It could also be considered psychopathic/crazy.

It's just a bad mix of chemicals and probably some bad parenting thrown in for good measure. Trust me on this, I got an A discounting evil in a junior college philosophy class paper with a Prof that got his Masters from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and has participated in debates on the side that evil does exist. I know my shit, pal! (Still haven't made any Who's Who lists though. )

Comment

Einstein dude? Really?
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

IIRC Einstein was pretty religious. I don't think he believed in Free Will either. Believed that our lives were pre-destined or something like that.
                2004 Suzuki DL650
                1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Evil is in the eyes of the beholder. We're shaped to believe in what is good and what is evil from the day we are born. I'm under the belief that cutting somebody up and eating them is evil as shit, but there were and maybe are small civilizations that call that dinner. I mean, if I hacked a cow to death with a machete in front of a bunch of people, they would say that I'm evil and cruel, but if I had a bunch of people over for burgers, I'm a fucking awesome neighbor.
                  "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                    Evil is in the eyes of the beholder. We're shaped to believe in what is good and what is evil from the day we are born. I'm under the belief that cutting somebody up and eating them is evil as shit, but there were and maybe are small civilizations that call that dinner. I mean, if I hacked a cow to death with a machete in front of a bunch of people, they would say that I'm evil and cruel, but if I had a bunch of people over for burgers, I'm a fucking awesome neighbor.

Unless those people were Hindu. You evil prick.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                      You've met my ol lady?

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                        IIRC Einstein was pretty religious. I don't think he believed in Free Will either. Believed that our lives were pre-destined or something like that.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                          You've met my ol lady?
                          Don't think this went unnoticed. Nicely done.
                          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

In the Paleo-Hebrew, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is actually translated the Tree of the Knowledge of Function and Dysfunction. See how "evil" has this shameful connotation to it, but dysfunction doesn't? The Hebrews weren't shaming people by calling them evil. They were saying that the way they do things wasn't functional for life and love and progress. There's no shame in that.

God didn't create dysfunction (evil). Free will started it. But it is my opinion that dysfunction is a very good thing that teaches us wonderful, firsthand lessons. The point is that I could not empathize with someone with an addiction if I hadn't experienced an addiction firsthand myself. Empathy is a very powerful thing.

Comment

Here's s quick brainteaser for consideration:

In the Mosaic Law, if a person digs a hole and doesn't cover it up, and someone's ox falls in, the person who didn't control their ox doesn't pay for it. The person who didn't cover up their hole pays for the ox. Keep in mind, the Law is designed to point to God's nature and point out dysfunction (but not all of the law is for strictly the purpose of pointing to God's nature).

Now, in the beginning, God put the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the garden and didn't block it from Adam and Eve (didn't cover His hole He dug). And God didn't block Satan from tempting Adam and Eve either. Thus, God wanted Adam and Eve to eat the fruit. Otherwise, He would've prevented it. Why? So they could learn from experience (in my opinion). Without Satan tempting them, Adam and Eve never would've eaten that fruit. So, who's fault is it? God's for not covering up the hole? According to His Law, He's responsible. And according to His Law, He must fix this issue. And what does He do? He comes, in the form of His son, and dies for our trespasses. Isn't that interesting that there is no shame on us? God's taken full responsibility for what He's done in order to love and care for us. And He appears to have done so in order for us to learn lessons from firsthand experiences with dysfunction (aka "evil"). Which would mean God doesn't find "evil" horrible like we do. He finds it to be a great teacher. Notice that Jesus didn't condemn the sinners. Instead, He ate with them and had fun with them. In that culture, if you ate with someone, it meant you accepted them for who they were. That's why the "sinners," who were non-religious, loved Him so much. The Pharisees were condemning them and shunning them hatefully. Jesus was basically saying to them, "You're cool with Me. I'm the One taking care of dysfunction, so it's all good. You just keep doing your thing."

That's a bit different than what most denominations teach, eh?

- Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X