Abbot against the world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
    Also I believe there are about 27 who have voted in favor of a convention for a balanced budget amendment; 34 are needed to get a convention going. My understanding that is if 34 vote on that alone, then that is all they can work on. What the Professor has proposed should start that over as 34 would need to vote in favor of that proposal so they could tackle more than just the single issue voted on recently. I am no expert on this but that is the way I understand it.
    I suppose if you got all 34 states to vote on a convention with a specific agenda, then they would be limited. However, the trick is to get all 34 to agree to that agenda. IMO that is virtually impossible and also the reason we have never had a 2nd constitutional convention. The only way you get 34 states to agree to a convention is to have an open agenda. IMO that is too dangerous.

I'm opposed to some of what Abbot is proposing here but I agree with most of it and the rest can be fixed in this hypothetical convention.

All that said, I think it's a non-starter. We aren't getting 34 states to agree to a convention with this common agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
      I suppose if you got all 34 states to vote on a convention with a specific agenda, then they would be limited. However, the trick is to get all 34 to agree to that agenda. IMO that is virtually impossible and also the reason we have never had a 2nd constitutional convention. The only way you get 34 states to agree to a convention is to have an open agenda. IMO that is too dangerous.

I'm opposed to some of what Abbot is proposing here but I agree with most of it and the rest can be fixed in this hypothetical convention.

All that said, I think it's a non-starter. We aren't getting 34 states to agree to a convention with this common agenda.
      You never addressed the whole "I support the judicial system making laws" part of your prior statement.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

It's hard for me to support a Governor that believes in Santa Claus(God). Sorry. Just me.
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
          It's hard for me to support a Governor that believes in Santa Claus(God). Sorry. Just me.
          So you dont support any governor of any state, or any senator or congressman, or almost anyone holding any public office? There are few athiests in public office, especially state level snd above to federal. I cant name any at all, actually. Even ones who aren't christian believe God.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

So you dont support any governor of any state, or any senator or congressman, or almost anyone holding any public office? There are few athiests in public office, especially state level snd above to federal. I cant name any at all, actually. Even ones who aren't christian believe God.
            I think I'll use my pops as an example. He says he believes in God, just to avoid a backlash from my stepmom...who in all honesty probably doesn't believe either, but just says that she does because that's how she was raised and she's stubborn.

I think that it's the same situation. He just used it to get him in office and will continue doing so to keep him in office.

Comment

I think I'll use my pops as an example. He says he believes in God, just to avoid a backlash from my stepmom...who in all honesty probably doesn't believe either, but just says that she does because that's how she was raised and she's stubborn.

I think that it's the same situation. He just used it to get him in office and will continue doing so to keep him in office.
              So you think most people are athiests lying about believing in God?

Comment

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Want to be in gov, better believe in god, or at least lie about it!
                  Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    Article V meeting of the states to force an amendment. A little known clause the federal government (and left) doesn't want you to know.
                    Some of those would probably have a good effect, but at this point, are changes to the constitution even going to help? If you could snap your fingers and any amendment you wanted would appear, they'd just wipe their ass with that too. Same ass they're doing with all of the older ones. I'm convinced the main thing that we need to do, is dissolve these bureaucratic institutions that he mentions, completely. No more IRS. No more ATF. No more insert BS agency here. All gone. Then start perma-banning social programs like welfare and wic and all that nonsense. Just really gut the whole thing. Leave them with nothing.

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post

WH

Comment

So you think most people are athiests lying about believing in God?
                      Yeah. Pretty much across the board.

Comment

Yeah. Pretty much across the board.
                        That's pretty delusional to think 80 or 90% of the US population is lying their entire life.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          Some of those would probably have a good effect, but at this point, are changes to the constitution even going to help? If you could snap your fingers and any amendment you wanted would appear, they'd just wipe their ass with that too. Same ass they're doing with all of the older ones. I'm convinced the main thing that we need to do, is dissolve these bureaucratic institutions that he mentions, completely. No more IRS. No more ATF. No more insert BS agency here. All gone. Then start perma-banning social programs like welfare and wic and all that nonsense. Just really gut the whole thing. Leave them with nothing.

Can't say I disagree with you. I like most of he proposed but if it did pass they would ignore it, too.

Comment

what ever happened to the separation of church and state?

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                              what ever happened to the separation of church and state?
                              Are you referring to the chart with what each person's religious beliefs are?
                              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

yes

Comment

Working...
                                X