Saudi Arabia Says 717 Pilgrims Dead in Hajj Stampede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi Arabia Says 717 Pilgrims Dead in Hajj Stampede

A horrific stampede killed at least 717 pilgrims and injured hundreds more Thursday on the outskirts of the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, the deadliest tragedy to strike the annual hajj pilgrimage in more than two decades. At least 863 pilgrims were injured in the crush, said the Saudi civil defense directorate, which provided the death toll. The tragedy struck as Muslims around the world marked the start of the Eid al-Adha holiday. It was the second major disaster during this year’s hajj season, raising questions about the adequacy of measures put in place by Saudi authorities to ensure the safety of the roughly 2 million Muslims taking part in the pilgrimage. A crane collapse in Mecca nearly two weeks earlier left 111 people dead.

Saudi Arabia's civil defense directorate says 717 people were killed in a crush of Muslim pilgrims near the holy city of Mecca.
    Fury Over Drug Price Spikes Rising, but Increases Aren't New

Thursday's disaster was the deadliest such incident on the annual hajj pilgrimage in more than two decades, and comes nearly two weeks after a crane collapsed in Mecca, killing 100 people.

Thursday's crush happened in Mina, a large valley about five kilometers (three miles) from the holy city of Mecca that has been the site of hajj stampedes in years past.

Mina is where pilgrims carry out a symbolic stoning of the devil by throwing pebbles against three stone columns. It also houses more than 160,000 tents where pilgrims spend the night during the pilgrimage.

The stampede occurred in a morning surge of pilgrims at the intersection of streets 204 and 223 as the faithful were making their way toward a large structure overlooking the columns, according to the Saudi civil defense directorate.

The multi-story structure, known as Jamarat Bridge, is designed to ease the pressure of the crowds and prevent pilgrims from being trampled.

The civil defense directorate, which provided the death toll, said at least 719 other pilgrims were injured in the stampede.

Ambulance sirens blared as rescue crews rushed the injured to nearby hospitals.

More than 220 rescue vehicles and some 4,000 members of the emergency services were deployed soon after the stampede to try to ease the congestion and provide alternative exit routes, according to the directorate.
    Amateur video shared on social media showed a horrific scene, with scores of bodies — the men dressed in the simple terry cloth garments worn during hajj — lying amid crushed wheelchairs and water bottles along a sunbaked street.

Survivors assessed the scene from the top of roadside stalls near white tents as rescue workers in orange and yellow vests combed the area.
    Photos released by the directorate on its official Twitter account showed rescue workers helping the wounded onto stretchers and loading them onto ambulances near some of the tents.

Some 2 million people are taking part in this year's hajj pilgrimage, which is an obligation of every able-bodied Muslim. The pilgrimage began in earnest Tuesday.

Saudi authorities take extensive precautions to ensure the security of the hajj and the safety of pilgrims.

There are about 100,000 security forces deployed this year to oversee crowd management and ensure pilgrims' safety during the five-day pilgrimage.
    At Mina specifically, authorities have put measures in place over the years to try to alleviate the pressure posed by masses of pilgrims converging on the site of the stoning ritual.

Officials use surveillance cameras and other equipment to limit the number of people converging on the site, and the Jamarat Bridge has multiple exits to facilitate the flow of people.

The death toll from Thursday's stampede far exceeded that of a similar incident in 2006, near the site of the latest incident, when more than 360 pilgrims were killed in a stampede. Another stampede at Mina in 2004 left 244 pilgrims dead and hundreds injured.

The deadliest hajj-related tragedy happened in 1990, when at least 1,426 pilgrims perished in a stampede in an overcrowded pedestrian tunnel leading to holy sites in Mecca.

Thursday's stampede happened less than two weeks after a giant construction crane came crashing down on the Grand Mosque in Mecca, the focal point of the hajj. That accident, on Sept. 11, killed at least 111 people and injured more than 390.

Authorities blamed the crane collapse on high winds during an unusually powerful storm, and faulted the construction giant Saudi Binladin Group, which oversees construction at the mosque, for not following operating procedures.

Published 5 hours ago
    Copyright Associated Press

sigpic

Comment

From what is out there, this appears to be a frequent event for a stampede of death. Maybe instead of having it across 5 days, they can do it in just 1 and run the number up a little.
      sigpic

Comment

People getting trampled there isn't too uncommon. Take a look at a sky shot of the place when they are circling the stone; it is actually impressive that it doesn't haplen more often.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

...A good start?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            ...A good start?
            Drop in the bucket.

Comment

There's another article out there that says the record trampling for this was back in 1990(?) and it was near 1500 people.

You think they'd learn...
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                There's another article out there that says the record trampling for this was back in 1990(?) and it was near 1500 people.

You think they'd learn...
                Are you kidding me? They can't learn how to do a jumping jack.

Comment

Never gets old

Comment

Most of these people haven't learned anything since about 1291
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

LOL
                      Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      Never gets old

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Just 717? We need less refugees! Trample each other more!
                          First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

STAMPEDE!! I wanna be there somewhere up high, and yell it. Like they're a bunch of cattle.

Still though, I can't help but feel like a cruel, evil bastard for liking this. Then again, it seems I'm far from the only one. But in regards to wiping them from the face of the earth: The more you guys point out how stupid these people are, the more I question if they'd even notice. The ones still alive... would they give even half a shit? I have my doubts.
                            WH

Comment

Working...
                            X