CA raises legal age to buy tobacco..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA raises legal age to buy tobacco..

Not a big surprise based on where we are talking about, but still ridiculous. Legislation for us to be 'healthy' is a huge over-step, IMO, and should not happen. Pretty soon they will make it law that everyone become gluten free and vegan.

[DIGEST: Huffington Post, CNN]California has passed legislation raising the legal age for purchasing tobacco products from 18 to 21. The legislation is part of a larger series of anti-smoking measures banning the sale of tobacco products to anyone under age. In addition, electronic cigarettes will f...

CALIFORNIA TAKES ON SMOKING WITH TOUGH NEW STATE LAW

California has passed legislation raising the legal age for purchasing tobacco products from 18 to 21. The legislation is part of a larger series of anti-smoking measures banning the sale of tobacco products to anyone under age. In addition, electronic cigarettes will face regulations not unlike those imposed on traditional cigarettes and will be prohibited wherever traditional smoking is banned. Companies that violate the law will face a $5,000 fine.

Governor Jerry Brown signed the legislation into law on Wednesday. As part of the initiative, California will also allow extra funding for anti-smoking programs. California is only the second state to raise their smoking age; Hawaii raised their smoking age on January 1.

The new legislation follows a statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics issued in October which encouraged states to raise the legal smoking age and impose stricter regulations on e-cigarettes. According to a study from the Institute of Medicine, raising the legal smoking age to 21 nationwide would result in roughly a quarter million fewer premature deaths and 50,000 fewer deaths from lung cancer for those born between 2000 and 2019.

Senator Ed Hernandez authored the bill. “[These laws] will save countless lives, reduce astronomical costs to the health care system, and cost very little because it uses existing enforcement mechanisms,” he said. “Today was an enormous victory for not only this generation, but also for many generations to come who will not suffer the deadly impacts of tobacco.”

The American Heart Association expressed support for the new law, as did the American Cancer Society’s Cancer Network, the American Lung Association. Steven Larson, president of the California Medical Association, also weighed in. “It is long past due for California to update our approach to tobacco,” he said. “There has been an alarming rise in the use of e-cigarettes by teens, putting them at risk for lifelong addiction.”

Critics were quick to blast the new law. The Smoke-Free Alternatives Trade Association condemned the stipulation on electronic cigarettes in particular. The legislation, the organization claims, is “counterproductive to public health” because some vapor products do not, in fact, contain any tobacco at all.

“California took a step backwards today by reclassifying vapor products as tobacco,” it said. “Our industry, which was built by former smokers that morphed into small- and mid-sized businesses, has always supported sensible legislation, such as prohibitions on selling to minors, reasonable licensing requirements and child-resistant packaging.”

Only certain citizens are exempt from the new law. The initial bill made it illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to purchase tobacco products. A stipulation was later added exempting active duty military personnel 18 and over. Critics of the initial legislation argued the law should allow 18-year olds to purchase tobacco products if they can be drafted or volunteer to fight or die for their country.

I agree, it's a huge overstep. I feel the same way about seat belt laws.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      I agree, it's a huge overstep. I feel the same way about seat belt laws.
      What's your view on the drinking age being 21? In this case seat belt laws do not enter into the argument. After 21 the individual is allowed to make the choice to smoke or not. That choice is not afforded with regards to seat belts.
      Not being Devils advocate but just wondering where everyone thinks the cutoff for this type of legislation. When does it go too far and what is the rational for the argument that it is overreaching.

Comment

Originally posted by broke again View Post
        What's your view on the drinking age being 21? In this case seat belt laws do not enter into the argument. After 21 the individual is allowed to make the choice to smoke or not. That choice is not afforded with regards to seat belts.
        Not being Devils advocate but just wondering where everyone thinks the cutoff for this type of legislation. When does it go too far and what is the rational for the argument that it is overreaching.
        Im a big fan of personal responsibility replacing the push of the government regulating morality. Im not a fan of the rules changing to fit whatever ideal they are pandering to today. If I'm required to register for the draft at 18, that seems like a pretty solid age to be considered an adult.

When I was in high school, it was easier to buy weed than a pack of smokes. Last time I checked, cocaine, heroine, meth, etc were all illegal but that isnt stopping it from being around and used. I was smoking and drinking long before it was legal for me to do it, I just didnt get caught. Well, I did get "caught" with cigs in my truck in the school parking lot, and had to go to court for the judge to dismiss it. Waste of time.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

What's your view on the drinking age being 21?
          I don't think it's bullshit - it IS bullshit.

In this country, we recognize 18yr olds as being adults and therefore responsible for their actions. Of course most of them are dumb as shit, but that doesn't matter. We allow them to vote and we allow them to serve in the military. So they should also be able to smoke and drink and drive like a maniac without a seat belt, and suffer the consequences of their bad decisions.
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Don't forget that all 50 states have a 21-yr minimum drinking age because the federal government held highway funds hostage. In that way the federal government manipulated the law in every state without actually enacting law themselves. That is also bullshit. Circumventing the Constitution is yet another reason Americans are pissed off about their government.

Comment

Im a big fan of personal responsibility replacing the push of the government regulating morality.
              Preach!

Although this seems like a fleeting concept nowadays, especially in a failed state like California.

Comment

Seat Belts

I find it funny that the state can force you to wear a seat belt in a car, but will not allow an old person to have a seat belt in a wheel chair. The state says the old person has a right to fall. We are totally screwed up and getting a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  I don't think it's bullshit - it IS bullshit.

In this country, we recognize 18yr olds as being adults and therefore responsible for their actions. Of course most of them are dumb as shit, but that doesn't matter. We allow them to vote and we allow them to serve in the military. So they should also be able to smoke and drink and drive like a maniac without a seat belt, and suffer the consequences of their bad decisions.

Sure, as long as I don't have to suffer the consequences from THEIR bad decisions..

Comment

Sure, as long as I don't have to suffer the consequences from THEIR bad decisions..
                    and how would that be?

Comment

So having these laws in place is magically protecting you by keeping these people from making bad decisions?

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        So having these laws in place is magically protecting you by keeping these people from making bad decisions?
                        Also, what bad decisions are they going to make that will affect you that there isnt a law against already?

Comment

and how would that be?
                          Probably the same bad decisions a 21+ year old would make. Get drunk, drive and take someone else out in the process? Maybe light up a cigarette, throw it out the window and start a forest fire?

Comment

Originally posted by s1lv3r View Post
                            Probably the same bad decisions a 21+ year old would make. Get drunk, drive and take someone else out in the process? Maybe light up a cigarette, throw it out the window and start a forest fire?
                            Drinking and driving is against the law, no matter what age you are. Littering is too.

Comment

Drinking and driving is against the law, no matter what age you are. Littering is too.
                              True, true. You posted again faster than I did, but I was being sarcastic about the whole "bad decision" thing being related to the age.

Comment

Working...
                              X