CA raises legal age to buy tobacco..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s1lv3r View Post
    True, true. You posted again faster than I did, but I was being sarcastic about the whole "bad decision" thing being related to the age.

The statistics with regards to drunk driving prove this statement wrong. In the mid 1970s 60% of all traffic fatalities were alcohol related. Over 2/3 (75%) of accidents involving drivers age 16-20 were alcohol related.

In 1984 Ronand Reagan signed into law the MDAA. Drunk driving accidents dropped by 50% with the greatest drop being the 16-20 age group (down to 37% in 2013 as opposed to the prior 75% of accidents being alcohol related).

As is said I am not playing devils advocate for one side or the other as there are points that can be made either way. But to deny the causation with regards to the drinking age, bad decisions and drunken driving accidents (which was the impetus behind the MDAA) can not be supported by fact.

Comment

Originally posted by broke again View Post
      The statistics with regards to drunk driving prove this statement wrong. In the mid 1970s 60% of all traffic fatalities were alcohol related. Over 2/3 (75%) of accidents involving drivers age 16-20 were alcohol related.

In 1984 Ronand Reagan signed into law the MDAA. Drunk driving accidents dropped by 50% with the greatest drop being the 16-20 age group (down to 37% in 2013 as opposed to the prior 75% of accidents being alcohol related).

As is said I am not playing devils advocate for one side or the other as there are points that can be made either way. But to deny the causation with regards to the drinking age, bad decisions and drunken driving accidents (which was the impetus behind the MDAA) can not be supported by fact.
      why dont we raise it up to 30?
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by broke again View Post

From the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution:
        "...Nor shall any person... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law..."

From the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution:
        "...Nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law..."
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

you should be able to smoke yourself to death if you want!

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'm still immature, I think you're not an adult until 40 or maybe 50, have a house payment, at least 1 car payment, at least 1 child, 1K or more in credit card debt and can prove that you consistently mow your lawn once a week on average (To include weeding and edging!).

Land of the free!
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

When it comes to alcohol, I'm good with 21 being the legal age. The age of 18 has always been an arbitrary figure set by the age a person completes their primary schooling. That is also the reason a person was required to register for Selective Service and be eligible for the draft if it is initiated. That ability to be drafted is why we have the right to vote at 18. However it's been known for a long time that the brain is still in development for several years after that. The age of 21 is much closer to the end of that development. BTW, the military likes having 17-18 year olds eligible for military service because of that same lack of brain development. Younger soldiers have a higher sense of invincibility for this same reason. They are also more susceptible to suggestion from superiors and peers. Everyone here can attest to the challenges of peer pressure when we were kids.

Folks talk about personal responsibility and making your own decisions. I'm in that camp as well but the adolescent brain is still somewhat limited in those abilities, sometimes even beyond 21. I'm still OK with this kind of regulation because it is based more on science.

However, with all that said, I'll throw a bone to my more libertarian brethren. When you let the government provide for your health care, you also GIVE them the RIGHT to dictate your health decisions. We're going to see more of this stuff as we get closer and closer to a truly socialized medicine scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt beavis View Post
                when it comes to alcohol, i'm good with 21 being the legal age. The age of 18 has always been an arbitrary figure set by the age a person completes their primary schooling. That is also the reason a person was required to register for selective service and be eligible for the draft if it is initiated. That ability to be drafted is why we have the right to vote at 18. However it's been known for a long time that the brain is still in development for several years after that. The age of 21 is much closer to the end of that development. Btw, the military likes having 17-18 year olds eligible for military service because of that same lack of brain development. Younger soldiers have a higher sense of invincibility for this same reason. They are also more susceptible to suggestion from superiors and peers. Everyone here can attest to the challenges of peer pressure when we were kids.

Folks talk about personal responsibility and making your own decisions. I'm in that camp as well but the adolescent brain is still somewhat limited in those abilities, sometimes even beyond 21. I'm still ok with this kind of regulation because it is based more on science.

However, with all that said, i'll throw a bone to my more libertarian brethren. When you let the government provide for your health care, you also give them the right to dictate your health decisions. We're going to see more of this stuff as we get closer and closer to a truly socialized medicine scenario.
                100%

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  I'm still immature, I think you're not an adult until 40 or maybe 50, have a house payment, at least 1 car payment, at least 1 child, 1K or more in credit card debt and can prove that you consistently mow your lawn once a week on average (To include weeding and edging!).

Land of the free!
                  CA. Should ban human reproduction! That way we'll have less trash in the world.
                  sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
                    Says the cow fucker...

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post

Comment

Working...
                      X