The youtube purge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    You cant just take your kid out of the videos?
    I can but I was just using that as an example as it would show more influence. The same still applies if I shoot one or catch a fish and it influences some kid that sees it. Us normal people would say hey that's a good thing but we aren't all normal and unfortunately the people in a lot of forms of power aren't normal either. So I decided just to be done with it all. There ain't no way I could afford any fines. I also don't know how they would enforce it since I have no payment info linked to my account or address. I'm sure they could find a way though.

Comment

Man, it sure sounds like a whole lot of grand speculation.. The only thing I could find that they changed was minor wording around being commercially viable and those decisions being at the sole discretion of youtube. It's a private business and they can do whatever they like. No different than this site, in fact.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have made some shitty decisions in the past, but just don't see this as being their downfall.

And lol @ the FCC stuff, as if that has anything to do with youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
        Not much into politics the landscape of America is changing and it’s really sad. Censoring things that might offend someone is like outlawing free speech. Most Americans don’t care too busy etc likely just gonna get worse
        Youtube can censor whomever they want, as it's their service. And broadcast TV and radio have always been censored. These are not lawmakers or government entities, so they can censor or limit free speech as much as they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
          Man, it sure sounds like a whole lot of grand speculation.. The only thing I could find that they changed was minor wording around being commercially viable and those decisions being at the sole discretion of youtube. It's a private business and they can do whatever they like. No different than this site, in fact.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have made some shitty decisions in the past, but just don't see this as being their downfall.

I received an email from YouTube talking about the fines and a bunch of other big YouTubers have quit because of it. I'll see if I can dig up the email.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
            I received an email from YouTube talking about the fines and a bunch of other big YouTubers have quit because of it. I'll see if I can dig up the email.
            Maybe there's more I'm missing. Youtube does not control the FCC. If the FCC chooses to levy fines, that is on them. Just because youtube sent an email telling people about it, doesn't mean it's on them. And 'big youtubers quitting' doesn't mean much, as many are dipshit lemmings anyways, and are just following the pack.

Edit:

Are you talking about this email:

Hi Craig In Texas,

Important changes that may impact your monetization and content discoverability are coming.
            Starting today, all creators are required to tell us if their content is made for kids in order to comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and/or other applicable laws. To help you comply, we are introducing a new audience setting in YouTube Studio.

Depending on the amount of made for kids content on your channel, you can set your audience at either the channel level or the video level. For those who are setting at the channel level, it is just one click.
            Potential Audience Settings

These changes are required as part of a settlement with the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and NY Attorney General, and will help you comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and/or other applicable laws.

We know that these changes won’t be easy for some creators, and that this required change is going to take some time getting used to. But these are important steps to take to ensure compliance with the law.
            Please read more below to understand your legal obligations and the impact these choices may have on your channel.

What is changing?

Starting today, all creators are required to mark their content as made for kids or not made for kids in YouTube Studio.
            Starting in January: we will limit the data we collect on made for kids content to comply with the law. This means we will disable personalized ads on this content (which affects revenue for creators making content for kids), as well as certain features like comments, notifications and others. Note: You may see some small changes as we experiment and refine our systems over the next few months.

For a list of affected features, go here.

Why is this happening?
            These changes are required as part of a settlement with the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and NY Attorney General, and will help you comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and/or other applicable laws.

Regardless of your location, we are required to ask you to set your videos as made for kids if they fall into that category, please make these settings as soon as possible.

We’ll also use machine learning systems to help us find content that is clearly made for kids. But do not rely on our systems to set content for you -- like all automated systems, ours are not perfect.
            If you don’t set your content or if we detect error or abuse, we may set your audience for you. If you fail to set your content accurately you may face compliance issues with the FTC or other authorities, and we may take action on your YouTube account.

What is “made for kids” content?

We cannot provide specific legal advice, but according to the FTC’s guidance on COPPA, a video is child directed (which we call “made for kids”) if:
            • It is directed to children as the primary audience (e.g. videos for preschoolers).
            • It is directed to children but children are a secondary audience (e.g. cartoon video that primarily targets teenagers but is also intended for younger kids).

Learn more about the factors that determine if your content is considered as made for kids here.
            We know this won’t be easy for some creators, and that this required change is going to take some getting used to. While we cannot provide legal advice, we are committed to helping you through this transition.
            You can learn more about your own obligations under The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the tools we are building to support you here.
            The YouTube Team
            Last edited by Chili; 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

My apologies it's the FTC and here is the email

YouTube
              Hi Krazy Fins,
              Important changes that may impact your monetization and content discoverability are coming.
              Starting today, all creators are required to tell us if their content is made for kids in order to comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and/or other applicable laws. To help you comply, we are introducing a new audience setting in YouTube Studio.
              Depending on the amount of made for kids content on your channel, you can set your audience at either the channel level or the video level. For those who are setting at the channel level, it is just one click.
              We know that these changes won’t be easy for some creators, and that this required change is going to take some time getting used to. But these are important steps to take to ensure compliance with the law.
              Please read more below to understand your legal obligations and the impact these choices may have on your channel.
              What is changing?
              Starting today, all creators are required to mark their content as made for kids or not made for kids in YouTube Studio.
              Starting in January: we will limit the data we collect on made for kids content to comply with the law. This means we will disable personalized ads on this content (which affects revenue for creators making content for kids), as well as certain features like comments, notifications and others. Note: You may see some small changes as we experiment and refine our systems over the next few months.
              Why is this happening?
              Regardless of your location, we are required to ask you to set your videos as made for kids if they fall into that category, please make these settings as soon as possible.
              We’ll also use machine learning systems to help us find content that is clearly made for kids. But do not rely on our systems to set content for you -- like all automated systems, ours are not perfect.
              If you don’t set your content or if we detect error or abuse, we may set your audience for you. If you fail to set your content accurately you may face compliance issues with the FTC or other authorities, and we may take action on your YouTube account.
              We cannot provide specific legal advice, but according to the FTC’s guidance on COPPA, a video is child directed (which we call “made for kids”) if:
              • It is directed to children as the primary audience (e.g. videos for preschoolers).
              • It is directed to children but children are a secondary audience (e.g. cartoon video that primarily targets teenagers but is also intended for younger kids).
              Learn more about the factors that determine if your content is considered as made for kids here.
              We know this won’t be easy for some creators, and that this required change is going to take some getting used to. While we cannot provide legal advice, we are committed to helping you through this transition.
              You can learn more about your own obligations under The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the tools we are building to support you here.
              The YouTube Team
              YouTube Twitter
              © 2019 YouTube, 901 Cherry Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066
              You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you on actions related to your YouTube account.

Comment

My apologies it's the FTC and here is the email

YouTube
                Hi Krazy Fins,
                What is changing?
                Why is this happening?
                The YouTube Team
                YouTube Twitter
                © 2019 YouTube, 901 Cherry Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066
                You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you on actions related to your YouTube account.

Yeah, that has nothing to do with youtube, they're just trying to comply with Coppa.

This is the problem, a shitload of misinformation gets spread, and people don't understand what they are 'skim-reading' and assume the worst.

Comment

Yeah, that has nothing to do with youtube, they're just trying to comply with Coppa.

This is the problem, a shitload of misinformation gets spread, and people don't understand what they are 'skim-reading' and assume the worst.
                  It was enough to scare me off then after watching a few videos of people that had a ton more experience with the YouTube platform than me talk about it and explain it. I wasn't wanting to make a mistake and get slapped with a fine.

Comment

It was enough to scare me off then after watching a few videos of people that had a ton more experience with the YouTube platform than me I wasn't wanting to make a mistake and get slapped with a fine.
                    Just mark your videos 'Not for Kids'.. Doesn't seem too difficult, and not sure where the 'fines' are discussed? Again, just because someone is 'big on youtube' does not make them smart, or truthful, or worthy of your trust. Take some time to look into stuff for yourself, or you're just as bad as any blind follower. Especially when you're spreading misunderstood / incorrect information.
                    Last edited by Chili; 12-16-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

More info:

YouTube’s new kids’ content system has creators scrambling
                      The government could sue them for thousands of dollars

By Makena Kelly and Julia Alexander Nov 13, 2019, 3:06pm EST

On Tuesday afternoon, YouTube formally announced its plan to have creators label any videos of theirs that may appeal to children. Starting in January 2020, if creators mark a video as directed at kids, data collection will be blocked for all viewers, resulting in lower ad revenue, and those videos will lose some of the platform’s most popular features, including comments and end screens. It’s a major change in how YouTube works, and has left some creators clueless as to whether they’re subject to the new rules.

Reached by The Verge, Google confirmed that this new system was the result of a landmark $170 million settlement YouTube reached with the Federal Trade Commission in September for allegedly violating children’s privacy. It’s the largest fine ever collected under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which forbids collecting data from children under the age of 13 without explicit consent from their parents. In this case, the ruling means YouTube can’t employ its powerful ad-targeting system on anyone who might be under the age of 13 — a dire problem for a platform with so many young users.

“IT’S HARD TO KNOW IF WE’RE IN VIOLATION OR NOT”
                      The new system is already sending creators reeling over what exactly is considered kids’ content and what could happen if they unintentionally mislabel videos. Some of YouTube’s most popular categories falls into a gray area for the policy, including gaming videos, family vlogging, and toy reviews.

“Creators are being held directly responsible by the FTC,“ Dan Eardley, who reviews collectible toys on his channel Pixel Dan, told The Verge on Wednesday. “So if the FTC decides that [we] are indeed targeting children, we’ll be fined. That is frightening.”

“It’s especially scary because the verbiage of ‘kid directed’ vs ‘kid attractive’ isn’t very clear,” he continued. “It’s hard to know if we’re in violation or not.”

Children’s advocacy groups like Common Sense feel that the rules don’t go far enough, and that placing most of the burden on creators rather than YouTube itself won’t do enough to protect kids online. However, the rules are “entirely consistent with what YouTube is required to do under this settlement order,” Ariel Johnson, Common Sense’s senior counsel of policy and privacy told The Verge. “I felt that the settlement order fell short for kids and families and all the protections that they need.”

In theory, YouTube has always been subject to COPPA, but those restrictions have taken on new urgency in the wake of the recent settlement with the FTC. Under the terms of the settlement, YouTube is required to “develop, implement, and maintain a system for Channel Owners to designate whether their Content on the YouTube Service is directed to Children.” Under the system that YouTube rolled out on Tuesday, creators who strictly make children’s content can also have their entire channel designated as directed at children. Once a video is labeled as kids’ content, all personalized ads will be shut off, replaced with “contextualized” advertising based on the video itself.

“WE’RE UNABLE TO CONFIRM WHETHER OR NOT YOUR CONTENT IS MADE FOR KIDS. THAT DECISION IS UP TO YOU”
                      Within YouTube, it’s clear that child-directed videos will have fewer advantages on the platform. The most obvious is the removal of targeted ads, but a number of other YouTube features are also impossible without personalized data. In particular, child-directed videos will no longer include a comments section, click-through info cards, end screens, notification functions, and the community tab, all powerful tools for driving viewers back to a channel.

The consequences for not labeling a video as “child-directed” could be even more severe. In its September order, the FTC made it clear that it could sue individual channel owners who abuse this new labeling system. Crucially, those lawsuits will fall entirely on channel owners, rather than on YouTube itself. Under the settlement, YouTube’s responsibility is simply to maintain the system and provide ongoing data updates.

In a video explaining the changes to creators, YouTube explicitly declined to tell channel owners when to label a video. “Ultimately, we can’t provide legal advice,” it said. “We’re unable to confirm whether or not your content is Made for Kids. That decision is up to you taking into consideration these factors.” YouTube goes on to ask creators to consult with a lawyer if they need help determining whether their content appeals to younger audiences.

If the FTC does take action against channel owners, it’s likely to be both selective and heavy-handed. The FTC is a small agency and doesn’t employ nearly enough staffers to tackle every COPPA failure that gets uploaded to YouTube. (Chairman Joe Simons has repeatedly called for more money to address the staff shortage.) With so much content uploaded to YouTube every day, the FTC is likely to focus on high-profile cases against popular channels. Under COPPA, the FTC is entitled to seek $42,000 for each mislabeled video, which means monetary damages could quickly grow to a staggering scale.

In its video yesterday, YouTube also pledged to use machine learning and flagging algorithms to locate child-directed videos that may have been mislabeled. Creators won’t be able to appeal those decisions, though a YouTube spokesperson said the company will be listening to feedback. If the algorithms aren’t effective, YouTube could stop using them entirely and face no threat from the FTC for doing so, leaving creators solely accountable and open to potentially life-altering fines from the government.

“It would certainly be more helpful for protecting children and being something that the FTC could enforce and something that families could rely upon as trustworthy if YouTube was taking a bigger role and helping to identify content” and was more transparent about the consequences and rules with creators, Johnson said.

Correction, November 13th at 8:13 pm ET: Creators won’t actually be able to appeal YouTube’s decisions about whether their videos are directed at kids, under the new policy. Added that the new system will begin rolling out in 2020.

Comment

Just mark your videos 'Not for Kids'.. Doesn't seem too difficult, and not sure where the 'fines' are discussed? Again, just because someone is 'big on youtube' does not make them smart, or truthful, or worthy of your trust. Take some time to look into stuff for yourself, or you're just as bad as any blind follower. Especially when you're spreading misunderstood / incorrect information.
                        Just labeling everything as not for kids can get you in more trouble. It appears you could take your own advice and read more on it.

Comment

I decided to quit when they came out with the FCC fines of up to $42k. If your video isn't child appropriate or influences a child you could be fined up to $42k. So if I make a video of my kid catching a fish or shooting a deer/pig it could be viewed as innappropriate for children to view and it could influence kids to get out of the house and get in the outdoors. Depending on who makes the ruling it could be some liberal panty waist snowflake that says we are hurting that fish or it's wrong to hunt or fish.
                          Man I'd put it all on bitchute. There's some people with 100k subscibers there. It's slowly becoming the old youtube. Where you could just put anything you wanted there and it was unlikely anything would come of it. You probably wouldn't have much trouble reaching your same subscriber count. Might take you a year, but still. Then there's LBRY (library) that's actually decentralized. That shit ain't going nowhere lol.

Man, it sure sounds like a whole lot of grand speculation..
                          This is what youtube/google has come out and said. They're telling us that they're doing it.

Youtube can censor whomever they want, as it's their service. ... These are not lawmakers or government entities, so they can censor or limit free speech as much as they want.
                          They took an awful lot of government money in the beginning. Now if they want to pay all that back with interest, I might have to agree with you. Until that day comes, as far as I'm concerned they're government funded. Even if that was only in the beginning. Still took government money, that's our money.
                          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            Just labeling everything as not for kids can get you in more trouble. It appears you could take your own advice and read more on it.
                            I did, but also made the assumption that you're not making content for kids. But regardless, you do realize this is not youtube, right? In theory, any hosting service you use could have the same issue.

But again, why would you hold that against youtube? The government came down on them, and they are trying to comply with the law.
                            Last edited by Chili; 12-16-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                              They took an awful lot of government money in the beginning. Now if they want to pay all that back with interest, I might have to agree with you. Until that day comes, as far as I'm concerned they're government funded. Even if that was only in the beginning. Still took government money, that's our money.
                              This is news to me.. Not saying it didn't occur, but have never heard that they did.The only thing I could find was references to some content providers (like PBS) that post videos and receive government funding, is that what you're referring to? If not, can you elaborate?
                              Last edited by Chili; 12-16-2019, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I did, but also made the assumption that you're not making content for kids. But regardless, you do realize this is not youtube, right? In theory, any hosting service you use could have the same issue.
                                This thread is specifically about YouTube content and their implementation of these regulations as well ad their constant censorship. I am fully aware of where this has come from.

You suggested marking everything as not for kids. That's the absolute wrong way to do this. Even if your intended audience is adult, if it seems like it's for kids then you can get fined.

Krazy Fins has a fishing channel that commonly features his daughter. He intends for his channel to target adults, but if its perceived as "for kids" and he marks it as "for adults"...he can get a fine for that. His intent doesnt matter...someone else's perception does. This is why hes determined its not a good risk/reward.

Hence why I said remove the kids from the video.

Comment

Working...
                                X