Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with a 2005 Navigator with a bad engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
    This!

Also, if immigration gets put in check
    That wont change the market much, It will just change the amount of end of life cars that get exported to Mexico and Africa. And more will probably go to salvage which may drop the salvage costs

The only thing that will keep prices up on new cars is costs for employee benefits and then they will have to start finding ways to cut those...unions are fucked at that point because installing door trim for $40/hr plus benefits is going to become a $15/hr job or else.
    No material costs will always keep the car prices up. You can thank China's long term vision and the US's lack of vision for that.

But you are right unionized labor costs are way to expensive. I think we will see a a confrontation between the auto mfrs and unions in the next decade. Especially as AIs start optimizing more and more of the manufacturing

Comment

lots of tid bits from the above article

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
        http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...nt-the-problem

lots of tid bits from the above article

They have too many new cars on the lots due to the absolutely insane pricing. My dad was looking at getting a new truck. He was looking for a crew cab silverado V8 with leather, and the absolute cheapest ones that I could find were still around $45k. I saw a loaded 1/2 ton silverado for fucking 70 grand. Needless to say, for those prices my dad was content with his 03 F250.

They are dropping ow due to overstocks, but I can't see people paying Corvette/Hellcat pricing for a damned 1/2 ton truck.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          They have too many new cars on the lots due to the absolutely insane pricing. My dad was looking at getting a new truck. He was looking for a crew cab silverado V8 with leather, and the absolute cheapest ones that I could find were still around $45k. I saw a loaded 1/2 ton silverado for fucking 70 grand. Needless to say, for those prices my dad was content with his 03 F250.

They are dropping now due to overstocks, but I can't see people paying Corvette/Hellcat pricing for a damned 1/2 ton truck.

Yeah I don't get that pricing. My dad bought a new f150 in '93 for 22k. He thought he slightly overpaid. I was just a kid when things were priced like this but, I don't know how trucks went from 22k to 60k. I can't believe they can actually sell any.

Also, didn't read the whole thread but, did the guy who bought the navi, fix anything yet? Or just gonna buy a new engine?
          WH

Comment

Tough to compare trucks 25 years ago to what they are now. Now they're more like rolling living rooms with tons of comfort and convenience and up to this point, people have been buying them at those crazy prices so it's hard to blame car companies for building them that way.

Dad traded the Nav in for a Buick.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              car2go is retiring it's smart fleet. Buddy of mine in Atlanta is picking up 10k mile clean ones for 5-6k every week at the auction.
              Zipcar is available here in San Diego but Car2go closed shop last November, which dumped 255 cars onto the market. Zipcar looks pretty cool though because they have everything from Camrys to box vans.

Uber and Lyft are also different here. They don't allow you to use trucks of any type and your vehicle has to go through regular inspections at one of their stations before you can work. The drivers I had in New Orleans were mostly 4 door full sized trucks or Nissan Versas.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                Tough to compare trucks 25 years ago to what they are now. Now they're more like rolling living rooms with tons of comfort and convenience and up to this point, people have been buying them at those crazy prices so it's hard to blame car companies for building them that way.

Dad traded the Nav in for a Buick.
                Yes and no. I have an 00 Corvette right now. Back in the day, it was one of the most technologically advanced cars out there. Active handling, HUD, traction control, adjustable suspension, tire pressure monitors, memory seats, etc. It had an MSRP of $39000, a tick over $40k with the options.

The 2017 Corvette is also very advanced and has an MSRP of $62000, loaded is $80k. Even adjusting for inflation, there is a $7k increase in base price, and a $24k increase for loaded.

Thats a massive difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  car2go is retiring it's smart fleet. Buddy of mine in Atlanta is picking up 10k mile clean ones for 5-6k every week at the auction.

Comment

Yep, Steven Lang is who I was talking about.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'll just keep on fixing my old cars/trucks. Parts are cheaper and less things to break.

Simple is good for me.....plus around DFW vehicles are going to get bumped, nicked, dented anyway.

No more car payments for a depreciating asset.
                      Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

New car sales are flat. I figure in the next year or so the car market is going to turn into a buyers market.

Comment

Working...
                        X