Cops upset about being treated like citizens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kingjason View Post
    Yeah they do their own thing sometimes. If we did not turn in our citations or impounds at the end of shift we could receive days off with out pay.
    INteresting. What if you cite someone and just decide not to show up for court? Any penalty for that?
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      INteresting. What if you cite someone and just decide not to show up for court? Any penalty for that?
      You here a lot of people say yeahhhhh fight it the cop wont show up. I have yet to see this anywhere. When we have court we have to be there or can get days off. Don't get me wrong there are lots of reasons we may miss. Sometimes the court administrator would screw up and send the list out the day of trials or you would have vacation scheduled. It is funny to see how many people work a deal with the prosecutor when they see all of us in court.

I had a guy claiming his brother was using his ID and getting tickets one time. Apparently he had gotten tickets dismissed all over the place. I have a really good memory and his citations where about two years old. I went and ran his DL and noticed he had an offender hit. Then I looked at the time and date and it was a odd location and around 0300 hours. When I approached him and reminded him of our little chat that night about his offender status he turned pale. He then looked at his lawyer and said oh yeah I remember these now. People do some crazy shit to get out of citations sometimes.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

• Thank you for the information Jason. As always, it's a pleasure to pick your brain
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

You here a lot of people say yeahhhhh fight it the cop wont show up. I have yet to see this anywhere. When we have court we have to be there or can get days off. Don't get me wrong there are lots of reasons we may miss. Sometimes the court administrator would screw up and send the list out the day of trials or you would have vacation scheduled. It is funny to see how many people work a deal with the prosecutor when they see all of us in court.
          I have only been lucky to have a cop not show up once..it was for a crossing double white line ticket in plano.. i got to court early and was 2nd on the docket, the judge went through everyone else then called me last.. they said the cop didn't show and they were going to have to dismiss the case. I thanked the judge and was on my way.. glad I didn't have to pay that $397 + court costs.

aside from that i know you guys are getting paid to show up, and iirc a lot of departments you don't have the choice - it's mandatory.

Comment

• Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
            I have only been lucky to have a cop not show up once..it was for a crossing double white line ticket in plano.. i got to court early and was 2nd on the docket, the judge went through everyone else then called me last.. they said the cop didn't show and they were going to have to dismiss the case. I thanked the judge and was on my way.. glad I didn't have to pay that $397 + court costs.

aside from that i know you guys are getting paid to show up, and iirc a lot of departments you don't have the choice - it's mandatory.
            My old judge went down the list, and if you were not there, dismissed them on the spot first thing, he wasn't waiting on you. Same would go if the people fighting the ticket were late also. Court started at 1p and if you showed up after 1:15 you were out.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

• DPD almost never shows up. My attorney says if you pay a ticket in Dallas, you're an idiot. Lol.

But he said more and more cities are fining the officers that don't show. Allen PD, for instance, they get docked a day's pay if they no show court dates. I don't know how accurate that is, just relaying what he told me.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                DPD almost never shows up. My attorney says if you pay a ticket in Dallas, you're an idiot. Lol.

But he said more and more cities are fining the officers that don't show. Allen PD, for instance, they get docked a day's pay if they no show court dates. I don't know how accurate that is, just relaying what he told me.
                Can you imagine trying to keep up with however many of thousands of officers DPD has. It would be a nightmare. However in a city of say 50 officers word gets back fast.

I don't think they could just hit them with a payroll deduction but a day off with out pay would be the same thing. Depending on what you make that's a chunk of change out of your check. County court would be even worse if you missed. I saw a routing error in a juvenile case one time almost got three of our guys drug into court in hand cuffs. Judges don't fuck around.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Can you imagine trying to keep up with however many of thousands of officers DPD has. It would be a nightmare. However in a city of say 50 officers word gets back fast.
                  I can't imagine. Even 50 is difficult enough I'm sure. We have 10 sales reps at my company, and coordinating anything is like herding fucking cats. Granted, we're all young, wild, party crowders that are nothing like police officers. But we are similar in that we're hard to pin down, because if its not making us money, we don't care and don't make an effort.

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  Judges don't fuck around.

Someone has to. Your superiors certainly can't keep you accountable...

Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• I've also had a ticket dismissed because the officer didn't show up. It was pretty far back though, most of the time I'd just do deferred and move on, but think I'd already used that option up for the year by the time I had to deal with this. lol I used to get a shitload of traffic tickets.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                      I've also had a ticket dismissed because the officer didn't show up. It was pretty far back though, most of the time I'd just do deferred and move on, but think I'd already used that option up for the year by the time I had to deal with this. lol I used to get a shitload of traffic tickets.
                      You know what's funny, and my PSA for the day? Unless something has changed you could defer in 9 different cities and none of the others would be the wiser. People actually think courts communicate with each other across city lines. LOL Why would the court care anyways they got theirs.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        I can't imagine. Even 50 is difficult enough I'm sure. We have 10 sales reps at my company, and coordinating anything is like herding fucking cats. Granted, we're all young, wild, party crowders that are nothing like police officers. But we are similar in that we're hard to pin down, because if its not making us money, we don't care and don't make an effort.
                        You have no idea how incorrect that statement is.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

You know what's funny, and my PSA for the day? Unless something has changed you could defer in 9 different cities and none of the others would be the wiser. People actually think courts communicate with each other across city lines. LOL Why would the court care anyways they got theirs.

Oh, I found all kinds of kinks in the system back in the day!

Comment

Working...
                          X