No announcement yet.

Kawasaki Z1, KZ's..... old CHiPs bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki Z1, KZ's..... old CHiPs bike.

Anyone into old UJM's?
    I previously owned a 76 KZ900 that I regretted selling. So, when I ran across a rough old California highway patrol bike, I picked it up to have a little fun with.

I plan to eliminate all the police equipment and lighten it up, and just make it a fun beater.
    I'll share a few posts and pictures working on it. If anyone has any opinions or advice, I'm open to em.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-27-2018, 03:58 AM.

It's a 1993 KZ1000P12 Police.
    Kawasaki basically built these on the 1982 KZ1000CSR, almost unchanged through 2005.
    This one's been painted black, everywhere, and generally lived a rough existence.
    The radio package was replaced with a two up seat and it's got a big fat boy seat up front.
    The fairing was also hacked for a radio.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-27-2018, 03:57 AM.

Comment

So this thing wouldn't stay running without adding fuel and the brakes didnt work. After bleeding and adjusting the brakes I pulled the carbs.
      It's got Mikuni BS34 CV carbs;
      The pilots were clogged and bowls were grimy. I went a head and rebuilt them and reamed out some 127.5 main jets. I also picked up some new rubber intake/mounts.

Last edited by Jimbo; 01-04-2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I began attempting to strip all the black paint off and made it look worse, but at least I feel better about it.
        The removal of the non masked off spray bomb paint will be a continuing process.

Last edited by Jimbo; 01-04-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I wanted to remove the floorboards and replace them with standard foot controls which meant hacksawing the frame and removing the heel toe linkage and fat power brake pedal and linkage.

Last edited by Jimbo; 01-04-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

When 3440 pixels horizontally still isn't enough, and I have to scroll over to see the rest of an image . . .
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
              When 3440 pixels horizontally still isn't enough, and I have to scroll over to see the rest of an image . . .
              Yeah, yeah. I'm still not sure how to use imgur.

Comment

magnus is a faggot, disregard.

overall plans? putting the fairings back on? a cheap turbo build could be cool

i'd need to do something cool with that bike to make it worth a shit to ride, no offense!

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                  You're just jealous you're too ugly for this man pussy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post

overall plans? putting the fairings back on? a cheap turbo build could be cool

i'd need to do something cool with that bike to make it worth a shit to ride, no offense!
                    I've had UJM's previously, I prefer them, and I'm a KZ fan. I dig the style and ride . While not todays version of fast, with a 4into1 pipe and bigger jets, it's a fun 100hp, 500lb bike.

I'm going to convert this to a standard Z1 style bike.
                    I chopped off the floorboards, converted to CSR foot controls.

Then I chopped the police radio mount and added a Z1 seat. I ditched the handlebars and fairing. I lowered it with Sportster shocks and slid the forks an inch in the tree.
                    It's real ratty, but It's a cathartic beater.

Last edited by Jimbo; 12-31-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

It starting to look cool. Maybe take some lacquer thinner to the painted parts, it strips nice and dries fast without fucking up stuff, re-paint flat black. Also put some new rubber on it before you lose control and flip it over 52 times...
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                        It starting to look cool. Maybe take some lacquer thinner to the painted parts, it strips nice and dries fast without fucking up stuff, re-paint flat black. Also put some new rubber on it before you lose control and flip it over 52 times...
                        I was using liquid paint stripper and it still had a tough time. It's several hardened layers. It's just going to take repeated effort and elbow grease.

I've got two new Dunlop 404's. The rear that is on it is relatively new, so it will stay a while.

Comment

That looks fucking awesome now.
                          sigpic

Comment

I dig it, but I like the single original seat over the bench seat or what ever it is.

Comment

It's an improvement, but nothing short of stripping the frame is going to clean this mess up properly.
                              I just don't have time or space for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X