Heat pump for house....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat pump for house....

So getting remodel and the added sqft is more than my unit can handle. 3 different A/C companies are quoting me for new heat pump systems

Before I jump on it, anyone ever change to heat pump from standard A/C unit?

Would you do it again?

Or any advice would help?

I have 3 ton unit
    2000 sqft when remodel is done.
    Living room has 10ft ceiling, rest is standard 8ft ceilings

Getting recommendations on going to 3.5 and up to 4 ton units and either 14/16 seer.

Thanks

Depending on heat load 3t isnt bad. Just needs to be well insulated and good windows and a tight house. I have a 5t 2 stage heat pump at 3k sqft. It never leaves stage 1 which is 66% of capacity. What kind of heat do you currently have?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
      Depending on heat load 3t isnt bad. Just needs to be well insulated and good windows and a tight house. I have a 5t 2 stage heat pump at 3k sqft. It never leaves stage 1 which is 66% of capacity. What kind of heat do you currently have?

Standard furnace with A/C unit. My house isn't great on keeping heat in either. Built in 1980 and most/if not all windows will need replacing. That's another big ass hurdle. Little on what I read is that heat pump is way cheaper in winter.

Bill in winter is pretty high

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
        Standard furnace with A/C unit. My house isn't great on keeping heat in either. Built in 1980 and most/if not all windows will need replacing. That's another big ass hurdle. Little on what I read is that heat pump is way cheaper in winter.

Just keep the heat off, like a man!

Comment

Here this guy will give you the best deal. Tell him Billy the house flipper sent ya

Adam
          Grove AC

Comment

Standard furnace as in gas or all electric and has heat strips?

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Standard furnace as in gas or all electric and has heat strips?

My bad

All electric with heat strips. 60amp

Comment

An efficient HP will save you money. Add some extra insulation in the attic too. Just know a HP doesnt put out HOT heat. Mine blows around 98* I think.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

An efficient HP will save you money. Add some extra insulation in the attic too. Just know a HP doesnt put out HOT heat. Mine blows around 98* I think.

I just took the infrared to vents and currently mine I am getting between 105-111.

From looks of it, will take longer to heat up to temp, but use less electricity to get there???

Will make sure they put enough insulation up there.

Comment

It runs more but uses less energy. When it is really hot or really cold I do not use a setback when we are gone.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

It runs more but uses less energy. When it is really hot or really cold I do not use a setback when we are gone.

This. My rental has a heat pump. It is typically very efficient, but you have to leave the stat alone. My current house has gas heat (which I love), and the NEST rolls back when we're gone. It heats up fast. The heat pump cannot do that. It will use more power though in the extreme cold. If we get snow/ice and the high is say 30, those heat strips will be running all the time with heat pump. Then again, that's what you have now, so it won't be that much different.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                        This. My rental has a heat pump. It is typically very efficient, but you have to leave the stat alone. My current house has gas heat (which I love), and the NEST rolls back when we're gone. It heats up fast. The heat pump cannot do that. It will use more power though in the extreme cold. If we get snow/ice and the high is say 30, those heat strips will be running all the time with heat pump. Then again, that's what you have now, so it won't be that much different.

Yea, from sounds of it, I guess pick a temp and just leave it till it starts getting warmer outside.

New windows for sure and better/more insulation in attic should help as well. Was going to do that anyways, but now whole new unit, just drains me. Will take me years to make that up.

Comment

Yea, from sounds of it, I guess pick a temp and just leave it till it starts getting warmer outside.

New windows for sure and better/more insulation in attic should help as well. Was going to do that anyways, but now whole new unit, just drains me. Will take me years to make that up.
                          How old is the current 3t? Some fresh duct work and added insulation you might be ok.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Speaking of this, I just bought a new house and the heat sucks.. I’m wondering if one of the heating element strips may not be working. It runs regular air for several minutes before shutting off.. I’ll check the temp..

Edit:
                            It’s 70 at the thermostat and 100.1 at a vent close by

Should it be more than a 30 degree rise?
                            Last edited by Stephen; 01-24-2019, 09:52 PM.
                            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                              Speaking of this, I just bought a new house and the heat sucks.. I’m wondering if one of the heating element strips may not be working. It runs regular air for several minutes before shutting off.. I’ll check the temp..

Edit:
                              It’s 70 at the thermostat and 100.1 at a vent close by

Should it be more than a 30 degree rise?
                              Depends. Heat pump or electric strips? Could have a bad strip set or not enough to begin with.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                              X