Getting back into overseas contracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into overseas contracting

Not sure how to start but I am kind of excited and can't hold it in. For those that know me, you know that I had been working overseas since 2006. I took a 9 month break in 2012 but went back with my previous employer until I came home last August under unfavorable terms.

Since February this year, I have been in contact with my former director. Well, persistence has paid off. We have been talking about bringing me back. I wanted to go back to Afghanistan but was willing to go wherever he had a place for me. He has been discussing a plan to move me into the Security Manager position for the country of South Sudan. There is already a guy there who I know real well but he was going to move to Somalia on a new contract, still under the same director.

We talked on Wednesday about me filling in in Sudan next month while that guy went on leave but nothing more than 30 days of work. A tough gamble to quit my current job with no bird in the hand afterwards. I mentioned off hand that I wouldn't mind going to Somalia to stand up their project there until the manager in Sudan was ready to go.

On Friday he contacted me and said he put in a by name requisition for me to take the Somalia project entirely. It is only a 7 month contract but there is a possibility of an extension and they are bidding more work in africa too. So there is a long game but I have to get back into the family again.

I should have a more solid answer in 2 weeks on the official details. I would have loved to have more details when he called Friday but he was sitting in the airport waiting to fly out of the country. Luckily I know where he is heading and he wants me to call him in a few days to talk more.

One thing he did say was, he would rather bring me on now and in this post vs having me do r&r fill ins. Plus, he said the money is better in Somalia vs sudan for the title.

I know from his visit last month to Somalia to check the place out that it is a real shithole but that is were the money is.

I'm excited to be back to doing what I enjoy and back to making my earnings potential doing it.

Had to share thanks for listening.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Good luck Keith. I would love to do contracting work over here but I'm afraid i would be a single man if i did.
    You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Good luck, I loved the money, but the wife said she was tired of being alone, I had to do something for us to be together. Be careful in that part of the world, like you said, it's a shithole!

Comment

Balls man, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
          Good luck, I loved the money, but the wife said she was tired of being alone, I had to do something for us to be together. Be careful in that part of the world, like you said, it's a shithole!
          This, and don't you have a really young child to leave behind as well? They grow up so fast in the beginning, you're gonna miss out on a lot. Just my $0.02, you can give me the change when you get back.

Comment

Good luck, if frac was hot right now youd probably be home about the same amount of time.

Comment

How do you get into these gigs if you're just starting out? Just say that I wanted to go work overseas to make some coin..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
              Rachel McAdams nude pics

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_marc View Post
                How do you get into these gigs if you're just starting out? Just say that I wanted to go work overseas to make some coin..

if you have to ask your not qualified

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                  if you have to ask your not qualified
                  There is a secret handshake that opens you up to opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                    If you have to ask you're not qualified.

Do tell...

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                      That's pretty awesome, bro! I've retired myself from that stuff, but if I could get a gig that would allow the family to go (and a nice environment), I'd be down.

Helloooo payday!
                      Thanks. I have been the squeaky wheel for a year now. Good luck finding a "nice environment"
                      Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                      Good luck Keith. I would love to do contracting work over here but I'm afraid i would be a single man if i did.
                      Mine is very supportive and having lived this way for so many years, she is used to it.
                      Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
                      Thanks
                      Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      Balls man, congrats!
                      Thabks
                      Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      This, and don't you have a really young child to leave behind as well? They grow up so fast in the beginning, you're gonna miss out on a lot. Just my $0.02, you can give me the change when you get back.
                      It will be the hardest part. She just turned 3 and everyday is a memory I won't get back.
                      Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      Good luck, if frac was hot right now youd probably be home about the same amount of time.
                      Even if I can stay on a contracting job all year, I will be home a few days longer than I would be in frac.
                      Originally posted by mustang_marc View Post

Nearly impossible unless you have already worked this stuff before. Easier if you have a trade AND prior military though.
                      Last edited by KBScobravert; 11-23-2015, 06:09 AM.

Comment

If you need someone clear the motor out or to dust the cobwebs off the cobra while you are gone, just let me know
                        Last edited by Matt; 11-23-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                          Nearly impossible unless you have already worked this stuff before. Easier if you have a trade AND prior military though.
                          "security professional willing to kill for food and a little coin" doesn't really go over well huh?
                          Originally posted by Sean88gt
                          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                          Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

congrats?
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                              "security professional willing to kill for food and a little coin" doesn't really go over well huh?
                              No. It would basically mean you missed the mark.

Comment

Working...
                              X