Getting back into overseas contracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
    One of my interns from my old shop goes to Kenya all the time to work on alternative energy projects. This kid couldn't kick his own ass so the place can't be that horrible.

One question that I would have to answer is how much money does it pay? I am sure it varies by assignment but does it pay well (say $150K annual equivalent) or is it fuck you money ($350K plus)?

The other thing you have to be doing is building your warchest when you take these jobs, instead of wasting money on useless shit (like cars lol!), build a fat ass bankroll that pays dividends or pay off your house. Or both.
    It isn't fuck you money but on this 7 month I will make more than my full year in frac. Plus if I can manage it, I can claim the overseas earned income tax break. Essentially makes it all tax free.

I got caught off guard last August when I left and my war chest was depleted paying down stuff. I still left with a good chunk of change but failed to change my lifestyle. I took for granted how long it would take to get back to work and then when I did start the oilfield went to shit. Live and learn.

Goal number 1 is get debt back down to where it was last year before I left. Second goal is to pay down mortgage I'd not pay it off but that will take a couple years.

Kenya is much nicer than Somalia and Sudan but there is always a threat to westeners. But I will be confined to a space under guard more than likely behind several layers of armed security deep. Traveling will pose the greatest challenge.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

NOPE! after that report, gl though.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
        NOPE! after that report, gl though.
        Just got of the phone with them. This deal may go down pretty quick. I need to renew my passport and he said make it fast.

We talked about getting in and out of country and where the location is. I can't say much but I feel much better compared to initial report.

Plus it was good to hear him say that "it will be good to have you back with us". Implications that more work to come and that as long as I don't dick this up, I will be taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post

We talked about getting in and out of country and where the location is. I can't say much but I feel much better compared to initial report.
          Of course they want to make you feel much better. You are about to go into a shit hole of a world with little defense.

I dunno what your job is, or what alternative positions are out there, but I would strongly consider taking less to stay alive.

Comment

Just do us a solid if you come across "clock boy" while you are there

You got this man, not your first rodeo but not something to take for granted so good to see a little apprehension.
            Originally posted by Sean88gt
            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
            Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              Of course they want to make you feel much better. You are about to go into a shit hole of a world with little defense.

I dunno what your job is, or what alternative positions are out there, but I would strongly consider taking less to stay alive.
              My contact isn't like a recruiter or office guy. I've worked for him for a long time. He wouldn't send anyone unless the odds were in my favor. He flipped shit when I got hit with a IED (coinsidently enough 7 years ago yesterday) and was way more concerned with it than I was. He was my boss when we had a close call in kabul and the convoy behind us got hit by a VBIED that we just passed. It was genuine concern. Never got lip service from him and I trust his judgement.

I can't speak about what security we will have in place or who is doing it but we will be fine based on what I know from our conversation. That is what I used to do (and am trying to get back into) is evaluate base defense before putting employees in those sites.

Comment

Good luck Keith, we all do what we have to do to make ends meet. Nothing wrong with taking care of your family and you seem to have a good family structure while your away. Stay safe broskie
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  Good luck Keith, we all do what we have to do to make ends meet. Nothing wrong with taking care of your family and you seem to have a good family structure while your away. Stay safe broskie
                  It isn't like it will be a foreign experience for us. Just a little harder with my 4 yr old so attached to me now.

And I'm not going anywhere away from here. As long as out Internet package is good, I am sure I will be logged in everday.
                  Last edited by KBScobravert; 11-25-2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Do what you gotta do, homie. Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                      Do what you gotta do, homie. Be safe!
                      Thanks bud. It's only 7 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                        Ice some skinnies for us!!!
                        He'd rather be whacking Tangos...

Comment

I came back in Sept from a year and a half in Kuwait. The week we decided I was going to do another year a suicide bomber hit a mosque there. I had promised the wife if anything happened in country I would bail. She didn't even know about it when I messaged her with dates to find an airline ticket for me. I loved the money and the job was easy other than working outside in the heat. But a promise is a promise.

Is 7 months enough to get you tax free? I thought it was 330 days out of a tax year for that? I know I had to do an extension and vacationed in Europe for two weeks not to bust through the 330 (left April 15th so had to do an extension till then) When I came here on vacation my tax lady freaked thinking I was coming home for good. She was tracking it to the day to ensure I had a "good" tax year. They specialize on oversea stuff.

Good luck over there and don't forget to set up a good VPN before you go.

Comment

Yes, it is shorter than the 330 I need but I am counting on moving into another job at the end of this one. Worst case I pay taxes each month and don't get to claim the exemption.

School me on why a vpn? We will have a satellite communication setup just for our people (<20).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                              Yes, it is shorter than the 330 I need but I am counting on moving into another job at the end of this one. Worst case I pay taxes each month and don't get to claim the exemption.

School me on why a vpn? We will have a satellite communication setup just for our people (<20).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                              Virtual Private Network? I run Gom on Google Chrome and Betternet on the phone. But i'm on Hadjinet and they block a lot of shit.
                              Last edited by DieselSmoke; 11-26-2015, 04:41 AM.
                              You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                                Virtual Private Network? I run Gom on Google Chrome and Betternet on the phone. But i'm on Hadjinet and they block a lot of shit.
                                STAN is the shit but they do block the good sites. I have a 1t hard drive full of pron though. As long as our network lets us on torrent sites I will be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X