Rolling blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    I could rehash a bunch of shit from the thread back in Jan/Feb, but they knew they had a risk. They knew they had a winter risk every ~10 yrs and they chose to not "harden" the systems against cold snaps, and they took the monetary gamble of something happening once a decade (a la Fight Club). Then when "something" happened a decade later, they're crying about it saying they need help to stay solvent. It's a big mess that we can derail the thread into if anyone wants, but again, fuck ERCOT.

And this time things are down for maintenance, sure... and it's a bit hotter in earlier June than normal, sure... but if their uptime scheduling can't account for 1.2% more load than the past peak that was just three years ago, then WTF are they planning for over there?

Fucking clown world.
    I fucking concur. Yeah I remember the other thread and some specifics.

God Da@##%

ac·cli·ma·tize
    /əˈklīməˌtīz/

TECHNICAL
    respond physiologically or behaviorally to a change in conditions in the natural environment.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Personally I think the situation is a bit more dire than most assume, and moreso than they let on.
      We have had very rapid expansion in the state with home and commercial construction while the electrical infrastructure had had little improvements. I've moved on from it now, but I frequented Texas generation sites in my last 2 jobs and there's quite a factors that instill long term fear in me.

If you have the means, a back up generator should be on your list of things to buy.
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        I learned in Albuquerque that swamp coolers suck balls when it's humid and above about 90.
        when air temps + humidity = 130ish, swamp coolers stop working. we had one in my house in utah and it was spectacular.

Comment

I learned in Albuquerque that swamp coolers suck balls when it's humid and above about 90.
          I bought a HUGE swamp cooler when we first moved here, because our humidity is often in single digits. That thing sucked. It was huge, loud, constantly needed to be filled, and didn’t make a big difference in temps. We now run two window units, and may add a third.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            I bought a HUGE swamp cooler when we first moved here, because our humidity is often in single digits. That thing sucked. It was huge, loud, constantly needed to be filled, and didn’t make a big difference in temps. We now run two window units, and may add a third.
            Get a mini split, they will blow your mind..........
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
              Get a mini split, they will blow your mind..........
              Just watched a video on installing one of those. Some of it would require a professional, and we just flat out don’t have those here. I’d have to pay someone to come from hours away, and it would cost me a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                Tin foil hat: it’s a planned year-long fuck up to make it look great when they re-regulate Texas electricity.
                Don sees the strings that control the system
                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  Just watched a video on installing one of those. Some of it would require a professional, and we just flat out don’t have those here. I’d have to pay someone to come from hours away, and it would cost me a fortune.
                  The Mr. COOL units are pre charged DIY setups

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    I operate on the premise that the government will drop the ball, and let these fucks continue to suck. So I guess I gotta drop 4600 damn dollars on a Kohler this year. Was going to anyway cause there's always some outage ever since I moved away from TXU and into Oncor's area. TXU = not one outage in 8 years. Oncor - At least 2 every year, sometimes 3.

Eat a dick oncor. Everyone hates you for a reason
                    Make that $10k. I started to plan on an inline generator after the 6/9/19 water bomb that knocked out our power for almost 3 full days here near WRL. $5k for the generator, $5k for the install

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
                      Make that $10k. I started to plan on an inline generator after the 6/9/19 water bomb that knocked out our power for almost 3 full days here near WRL. $5k for the generator, $5k for the install
                      If someone knows a guy I say we do a group buy and install. I swore they use to be 5k to 6k. I have natural gas so mine would be sweet.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I don't understand the install of the generator costing as much as the generator does. Running a gas line is easy, pouring a pad for the generator to rest on is easy, adding the auxiliary load Center isn't particularly difficult either.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Seems like I paid about 2400.00 to get my system installed about 8 years ago... and I thought that was way too much at the time.

Two guys spent probably 10-12 hours (basically two days) doing the install, no concrete but transfer switch location was about 25 feet from generator unit.

It works good when we need it.

mardyn

Comment

damn i dodged the Bullitt on that . mine is all just manual . i trip the main , hook up the pto , plug it in and i'm good . runs the place with no problems .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
                              damn i dodged the Bullitt on that . mine is all just manual . i trip the main , hook up the pto , plug it in and i'm good . runs the place with no problems .
                              I made up a 25ft cable to plug in where my 240v air compressor plug is, turn off the main breaker and run my panel thru the 50 amp compressor breaker with the generator in the driveway in front of my truck. Used it during the icemageddon we had back in February..not continuously but intermittently to cook, keep the food in the fridge cold and to run the heat while I was there. It's a 13'500kw surge/8kw running gas generator...it will run the whole house, but I wouldn't do it long term cuz that thing is thirsty. I was the only person on my street with lights on the first 2 nights. I'd love a larger natural gas/propane setup but dang a true backup generator with a transfer switch is a lot of coin..my portable unit was $500 bucks and the cable I made cost about 40.

Comment

I made up a 25ft cable to plug in where my 240v air compressor plug is, turn off the main breaker and run my panel thru the 50 amp compressor breaker with the generator in the driveway in front of my truck. Used it during the icemageddon we had back in February..not continuously but intermittently to cook, keep the food in the fridge cold and to run the heat while I was there. It's a 13'500kw surge/8kw running gas generator...it will run the whole house, but I wouldn't do it long term cuz that thing is thirsty. I was the only person on my street with lights on the first 2 nights. I'd love a larger natural gas/propane setup but dang a true backup generator with a transfer switch is a lot of coin..my portable unit was $500 bucks and the cable I made cost about 40.
                                much like mine . i have a heavy plug 18 inches from the panel in my shop . my pto is 12k and my little kubota uses very little fuel running it . have a 4ft cord with rv plugs on it . i have 200 gals of fuel reserve for it so i'm good for a while . less than 3k in the whole setup .
                                Last edited by bubbaearl; 06-18-2021, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X