Talk me INTO a Land Rover Defender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me INTO a Land Rover Defender

Currently looking around for my next ride. I'm looking at a pretty wide range of vehicles. These include:

F150 Lightning
    Gen 3 F150 Raptor (but unlikely)
    Porsche Cayenne
    Cybertruck (but unlikely)
    GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
    Next Gen Ranger Raptor
    Ram 1500 TRX
    Next Gen Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Land Rover Defender P300

Keep in mind I'm not going to pull the trigger until next summer so I'm in no rush. The Defender just got on my list. Yea, I know, I know that legendary Land Rover quality. Basically I saw one at a dealer a few days ago. It was blue with a white top and white STEELIES! It was gorgeous. I test drove a demo and I have to admit it was pretty damn sweet. I good amount of off road capability with a TON of luxury. It was seriously impressive.

I followed the TFL debacle with their THREE Land Rovers. Those guys are right down the road from me and we've talked a few times. Basically they aren't having any more problems and feel pretty confident with it. Other folks told me that the early issues were mostly software related and those seem to be resolved... But, of course, I'm kinda hesitant.

So, just for the sake of conversation. instead of talking me out of a Defender, talk me INTO getting one.

Feel free to drop any thoughts on the other vehicles I'm considering.

Nice list, my S.I.L. just got rid of his Grand Cherokee SRT, it was very nice, very fast and sounded amazing, but was a little cramped in the back and offered a smaller space in the cargo area than my '18 Sport I was replacing.
    The Porsche Cayenne THurbo was next on my list but it was about the same size as the JGC SRT, but man that thing was super nice and fast too.
    The Range Rover Sport was on my list, but just like the Porsche it was expensive, but IMO looked the best out of the three.

In the end I wound up with the Lincoln Aviator in Pristine White tri-coat, Roast w/Ebony (Black) seats, aluminum inserts instead of wood its a very nice interior, HUD to boot, and the Monochromatic pkg. that includes glossy black 22in. wheels. That thing gets looks everywhere we go and it is nice and big, you lower the third and even the rear seats and its like having a truck bed. I love the panoramic roof, the infotainment system is nice and not overbearing. The new 3.0 twin turbo hauls ass on 93 octane and being as I ordered it Reserve, added Reserve I pkg. in 2WD, no need for the AWD since we hardly have ice and snow and it was heavier and affected the MPG's quite a bit. You could probably offset the performance for AWD since you need it up in CO, but its not a big time difference, but I would certainly get the active ride for AWD.
    Those options make it start creeping up towards the upper 70's.
    I'm a cheap ass so I order mine in Reserve and added what I wanted needed and my MSRP was $68k, out the door lease was right at $60k with my D-Plan.
    Good luck, I have an older paid off truck so I never considered a truck, but that GMC ATX4 has every truck beat in looks imo...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

There is a few running around here with some factory add ons that do look pretty cool, Doug Demuro seems to love his and has driven it cross country.
      Depreciation is always my concern on stuff like that. We went with a 23k mile 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo back in march for less than half original MSRP and so far couldn't be happier.

Next month we are renting a trackhawk up in denver off Turo and I'm kind of afraid I'm going to get addicted to that hellcat motor and have to get one.

Comment

I owned a 99 Range Rover, a 96 Discovery, and an LR3 that the year model escapes my memory. Every one of them was an absolute piece of crap. If you want something durable that does the same thing just get a 4Runner.

If you absolutely have to feel like a trophy wife from Highland Park then by all means get the Range Rover.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post

If you absolutely have to feel like a trophy wife from Highland Park then by all means get the Range Rover.
          Ha!
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post

Gotta admit, that was funny.

Comment

I have known quite a few people over the years who have purchased Range Rovers...one common trait across the board is they all got rid of them because they kept breaking down. They might look cool but they are not well engineered.

Comment

Just get the AT4, there is no reason to waste a bunch of money on that other useless shit.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

You lease a Range Rover, you don't ever buy a Range Rover.
                  Not a chance in hell I would own one outside of warranty, that said they are good looking.

I have had a few Discovery LR2, all were pieces of shit. Off road capable pieces of shit, but pieces of shit none the less.

My vote would be TRX for the truck, Wagoneer for SUV.

Comment

Range Rovers are such maintenance pigs with such expensive parts that when I quit working at Rotary performance I contemplated opening a shop that specialized in Range Rovers.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

They look good.

And that's about as far as it goes. The rest is all downside.
                      WH

Comment

Cayenne & rover= RUN!! Don’t look back!

Unless you already have cow skin rugs in every room of your house
                        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Part of me believes that the only reason Range Rover exists is as a long term plan by the queen to destroy foreign economies. They almost bankrupted Ford in 2008 and now Tata motors is hemorrhaging cash.

Comment

The older Range Rovers kept breaking wheel studs off.
                            The centers of the studs were made of chocolate.

Comment

The Defender is on my short list, though towing capacity may steer me in a different direction. Your list represents a wide range indeed, to me it boils down to how much off-roading you really think you'll be doing, and what kind. If you'll be piddling up on the mountains the most, than I'd scratch the trucks off the list, even the Raptor.

The new Bronco options out pretty well if this will primarily be a toy, with Ford repair costs, though with an admittedly Ford interior as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X