Selling a home without a realtor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a home without a realtor?

I know the benefits of having a realtor and would normally do it that way, but this situation is a little different and I'm apparently clueless on the process.

We own half a duplex that we've rented for 15 years. The neighbors who own the other side have been hounding me for a long time (as well as every other dipship lowballers sending me letters / text messages / spam calls wanting it for penny's on the dollar). I threw out a price to the neighbor I'd be good with, and they seem like they are going to go for it. Since the deal is already pretty much done, I'd rather not pay a realtor to jump in the middle now and get paid full rate.

My question is, what is the process? We've agreed to a price, the buyer just needs to find a title company, pay them, and I show up at closing to get my check? I'm also considering doing a 1031 exchange, but no need to get into those complications at the moment. I'm just curious of what the actual process is to hand over the property and figured some of the ballers here would know.
    DamonH

Selling a home without a realtor

I have nothing else to offer. I've only sold one home (3 weeks ago) and I used a realtor.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
      Selling a home without a realtor

I have nothing else to offer. I've only sold one home (3 weeks ago) and I used a realtor.
      Same here. If I don't understand something, then I hire someone that does, and I knew sweet fuck all about selling a house. He got me way more than I was expecting and the process was painless, so he earned his commission.

Comment

DamonH - you might be very well served to ask a realtor to run a CMA for you. You might find that you can get a whole lot more $$ for your rental by selling it on the open market, even if you have to pay realtor fees.

We nearly sold our rental 18 months ago but decided not to. We sold it a few weeks ago for roughly $60k more than we were offered 18 months ago. My realtor suggested an asking price that was $25k higher than what I was thinking and it still sold for way over her suggested asking price.
        Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 08-20-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I sold one in February without a realtor. Is there going to be a contract?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

if you already have a deal most realtors will do it for 1-2 % . well worth it .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
              if you already have a deal most realtors will do it for 1-2 % . well worth it .
              If you don't though... 6 or 7%? I forget but it's more than I can stomach. In my case it they'll take something like $20k for their cut. Pass, I'll do it myself. Ain't skeered, brother in law is a realtor. He'll tell me what to do. He said its dead easy anyway, and that realtors don't do all that much. Says the title company does more. Made his living as a realtor for around 6 years so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on knowing what he's doing. Plus they live in my town so I can just show up at his house
              WH

Comment

Agreed with 92 Notch. Most people don't understand pricing for investment properties.

Get comparable market rents on duplexes around you in similar condition, price at 150-175x rents.

If the duplexes around you get $2000 a side, then check what investors are buying them for, you'd be shocked I bet. A duplex generating $4000/mo in income would sell for $600-$700K in Austin, and more if it was in a dense urban area ripe for a tear down.
                Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Working...
                X