Joined the cult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    Love it! The lower temperature up front gives time for the collagen, fat, and muscle fibers to break down more than it does when just going on a hot fire and staying there until it's done.
    Makes sense since that's exactly why a smoked brisket is so delicious. I'm going to be in dire need of a good meal when this trip is over.

Comment

Just picked up one of the Akorn grills from Lowes. I've been looking at BGEs and the clones but this thing was $269. Have a brisket on it right now, we'll see!

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        Just picked up one of the Akorn grills from Lowes. I've been looking at BGEs and the clones but this thing was $269. Have a brisket on it right now, we'll see!
        Let me know what you think of it once you've had it a while. I hear you have to keep them seasoned and that they won't get as hot as an egg, but it'll get the job done for the price.

Weber came out with one like the Akorn. Double wall steel, etc. Theirs costs more than an egg!
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I am very happy with it so far. It's very fuel efficient when smoking, I've cooked on it 3 times now and still haven't added any more charcoal. I do seem to have trouble keeping it at or under 250 degrees but that could be lack of experience.

I have a big gas grill and a vertical smoker as well and they both have more capacity but the Acorn can do either's job just as well but not as much at the same time. It's way better than any charcoal grill I've used but if I needed to cook more than a brisket and maybe a couple of chickens it's not a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            I am very happy with it so far. It's very fuel efficient when smoking, I've cooked on it 3 times now and still haven't added any more charcoal. I do seem to have trouble keeping it at or under 250 degrees but that could be lack of experience.

I have a big gas grill and a vertical smoker as well and they both have more capacity but the Acorn can do either's job just as well but not as much at the same time. It's way better than any charcoal grill I've used but if I needed to cook more than a brisket and maybe a couple of chickens it's not a good option.
            Make a run to the hardware store and get stuff for a second tier rack, you'll enjoy the added space. I've found that larger lump works better for low temp cooks as well. Smaller lump typically means more airflow. I pretty much only use Fogo now, and it's damn expensive, but it seems to last longer than the equivalent amount of Royal Oak. I also learned it's easier to control temp when I leave the bottom vent wide open all the time, and only adjust the top vent.

Comment

Mine came with a "warming rack" but I see what you mean. I think something else I'll try is the ring of fire method. You put a large rock in the center of the coal grate and stack wood/coal around it in a circle. Then light one end and it'll burn around instead of across.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting this for my BGE... plus they are local (denton).

XL Woo Adjustable Rig Combo, the most versatile rack system for XL Big Green EGG. Go big on 3 levels; grill with tiered full and half grid capability; have unencumbered lump access smoking barbeque; set XL Big Green EGG grid at felt line; enjoy easy in and out with the Big Green EGG convEGGtor; bake pizza high in dome.
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                  I've been thinking about getting this for my BGE... plus they are local (denton).

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collec...-rig-combo-bge
                  I have it and it's awesome. Just so damn expensive.

Comment

I have it and it's awesome. Just so damn expensive.
                    Well I think today will help me decide. I bought a 15# prime brisket yesterday at costco and since we want to eat it tonight and I didn't wake up early enough to put it on the old stick burner to feel comfortable that it will be done in time I threw it on the egg with a few big logs of wood in there. Now that it's on, there's not a good option to add chunks or anything like that so I have to hope for the best.

I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna get it, despite the cost, but did you add the extra rack and slide out stuff too or just the plain setup that's linked?

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                      Well I think today will help me decide. I bought a 15# prime brisket yesterday at costco and since we want to eat it tonight and I didn't wake up early enough to put it on the old stick burner to feel comfortable that it will be done in time I threw it on the egg with a few big logs of wood in there. Now that it's on, there's not a good option to add chunks or anything like that so I have to hope for the best.

I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna get it, despite the cost, but did you add the extra rack and slide out stuff too or just the plain setup that's linked?
                      I got the slide out shelves, woo ring, and adjustable rack.

As for adding chunks - You shouldn't need to. Load it up from the start, because there still isn't an easy way to do it with the AR.

Comment

This weekend I cooked a 2.5 lb tritip at 300 to an internal temp of 140. Wife said it was best steak she ever had. It was very tender and juicy throughout. I did dry rub it first and used some smoked salt. Ceramic cooker was filled with 75% lump and 25% wood.

Comment

I sold my 4 wheeler Monday so I'm currently RICH! I decided to splurge a little and bought a Party Q.

I wish I would have bought one sooner. My Akorn stays in the 240-250 range now without me having to constantly mess with the vents. The "ring of fire" method didn't really work for long burns as it'd creep up to 300 degrees and I've actually had to relight the fire a couple of times. I don't see that happening with the Party Q now.

Comment

Very nice, let me know how you like it. I haven't gotten one for mine as it's been "set it and forget it" reliable since I got it.

It's been a while since I posted though so I guess I could update on how I like it. As I suspected it has not and never will replace my offset cooker, and while I find myself less inclined to simply throw something on the grill vs. when I had a gas grill, I am always happier with the results. I do still use it for some smoking, in fact the same is true for the smoker as is with the egg... I am less inclined to go through all the trouble of using the offset to do say a smoked chicken or some ribs when I can do that on the egg in 50% of the time with 20% of the effort and 80% of the results. I can say I'm truly happy to have the egg, but also that someday I will add a GOOD gas grill to the mix so I have all three options. But that's a very low priority and I'll want to have it plumbed so I don't have to screw with tanks.

Stevo

Comment

Wally World has the Akorn Jr for $35 if you can find one near you.

Comment

Wally World has the Akorn Jr for $35 if you can find one near you.
                                in store only I assume?
                                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X