Power of Attorney Needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power of Attorney Needed?

Sending my almost-5-year-old off to Florida with his grandmother for a 4-day vacation.

While he is healthy and has no conditions, I am curious how POA works if he is injured out there and needs to receive medical treatment.

Can my wife and I consent over the phone if something happens, or do I need to prepare a POA that is notarized and send it with grandma?

Any of you sent your youngin's off and done this?

Hmmm....although I have not sent my kids off alone for more than a day or two - as part of the sports teams other parents do that with their kids sometimes.

Never really thought about your question in detail. Assumption for those kids and mine is if injured they'd get treatment and I'd be on the way PDQ. Same with the other kids.

Let say worse case scenario - a kid tagging along with us takes a rope to the head and has head trauma. Call ambulance, ambulance does their thing and heads to hospital...etc. Any/all services you'd think would be provided by default until a legal guardian arrives.

However, now you're inquiry has me paranoid. In case of looking after someone else's kid - who pays for the ambulance...hospital...etc? I'll stop here to not derail your thread too much.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Well hell. I've been screwing up and frankly so do a lot of parents. Seems like you need to if you trust the person on-site to make the call. Learn something new everyday.

But you want the adult traveling with your child to be able to get him emergency care in case of an accident or medical issue. Otherwise, the staff of an emergency room or urgent care facility will have to wait until they contact you to treat your child, and this could waste precious time.

You should write up a medical consent form, granting permission to the adult traveling with your child to authorize emergency medical treatment. It's a little bit like a medical power of attorney, but instead of giving someone permission to make your personal medical decisions, it gives someone the power to act for your child.

Comment

I don't have kids, but when my sister and her husband go out of town she does one for both myself and my mom. My mom is the one actually taking care of her, but just in case something happens to both of them she does one for me so I can make the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          Well hell. I've been screwing up and frankly so do a lot of parents. Seems like you need to if you trust the person on-site to make the call. Learn something new everyday.

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/pape...on-103484.html
          See! This is why I ask questions, thank you for that link.

Seems I need to whip something up. You think a non-notarized paper with me and my wife's signatures would hold up at a hospital?

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/pape...on-103484.html
            We've done this a few times when the kids have gone with the inlaws.
            G'Day Mate

Comment

Done it and just typed something up basically saying we, his parents, consent for medical treatment.
              Printed this and then made a copy of our insurance card both front and back on the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                Done it and just typed something up basically saying we, his parents, consent for medical treatment.
                Printed this and then made a copy of our insurance card both front and back on the bottom.
                Insurance card is a nice touch. May consider a copy of DL too.

Comment

Consent is implied when it comes to minors. They aren't going to withhold treatment.

Comment

You should probably have a Medical POA drafted up.

Comment

Originally posted by D. Lil View Post
                      Consent is implied when it comes to minors. They aren't going to withhold treatment.
                      Is this a Texas thing, or a US thing? They are traveling through Georgia, Alabama and Florida.

Originally posted by GE View Post
                      You should probably have a Medical POA drafted up.
                      I used a free trial of law depot to draft up a travel consent and medical consent form and sent it with the grandma.

...off to cancel my 1 week trial...

Comment

Working...
                      X