Hook up on Used Engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook up on Used Engines?

So I went and did a thing, bought another used car on CoPart to replace my aging DD (2004 Cavalier ~200K miles)

Only issue was the engine is blown in it. I bought it knowing this but am not having any luck finding local engines for a 2014-2016 Scion tC. It's a Camry engine (2.5L 2AR-FE), but I've read that they are not interchangeable, something about exhaust manifolds don't line up.

Anyone know of a local (even Austin, Houston, San Antonio) supplier of used engines for Imports? Car has 87K on it, so I'd like an engine at that mileage or lower.

I've found a few for $871 that have 76K and 71K, but looking for around $500-$600.

Will attempt to replace engine myself, even though I cannot find any documentation on how to do it.

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
    So I went and did a thing, bought another used car on CoPart to replace my aging DD (2004 Cavalier ~200K miles)

Only issue was the engine is blown in it. I bought it knowing this but am not having any luck finding local engines for a 2014-2016 Scion tC. It's a Camry engine (2.5L 2AR-FE), but I've read that they are not interchangeable, something about exhaust manifolds don't line up.

Anyone know of a local (even Austin, Houston, San Antonio) supplier of used engines for Imports? Car has 87K on it, so I'd like an engine at that mileage or lower.

I've found a few for $871 that have 76K and 71K, but looking for around $500-$600.

Will attempt to replace engine myself, even though I cannot find any documentation on how to do it.
    You're about half of what they go for.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Snyders in Holland has one for just over a grand with 58k

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
        Snyders in Holland has one for just over a grand with 58k
        i wouldnt buy one from them.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

If the exhaust manifold from the Scion doesn't line up then use the manifold from the Camry and adapt the exhaust to fit the new manifold.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            If the exhaust manifold from the Scion doesn't line up then use the manifold from the Camry and adapt the exhaust to fit the new manifold.
            cat converter is in the manifold, so you would have to buy a new one, wont come on the used engine.

Comment

Jasper
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                i wouldnt buy one from them.
                Really? I’m curious as to why, I’ve bought a 5.3 from them and a coworker uses them all the time.

Comment

You're about half of what they go for.
                  Ok, then that tells me what I needed/wanted to know. $871 for 71K engine is apparently a good deal - and that is with liftgate service to my garage door and 1 year warranty.

Also, if anyone has any type on online resource/documentation on how to remove a 2AR-FE (5th Vin F) engine - that would be helpful. I have found exactly zero sources on the correct procedure.

Thanks!
                  Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 08-22-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                    Really? I’m curious as to why, I’ve bought a 5.3 from them and a coworker uses them all the time.
                    They are one of my competitors, and I get to hear all the BS that they pull with customers. See below.

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                    Ok, then that tells me what I needed/wanted to know. $871 for 71K engine is apparently a good deal - and that is with liftgate service to my garage door and 1 year warranty.

Also, if anyone has any type on online resource/documentation on how to remove a 2AR-FE (5th Vin F) engine - that would be helpful. I have found exactly zero sources on the correct procedure.

Thanks!
                    Get the VIN from the vehicle it's coming from, run a autocheck or carfax. A very common thing for smaller recyclers to do is buy a 120K car, mark the miles lower, and you never know the difference until there's an issue down the road, and they either wont help you or send you an even higher mile to replace it. Shit in a box marked guaranteed is still a guaranteed piece of shit.

LKQ in burlesson has one on the shelf, 33k and a 6 month warranty for $1075. Im leery of someone that will spend 200 bucks to ship it to you and still be cheaper, with a longer warranty. Even with 92k, LKQ has it listed for 950.

Comment

They are one of my competitors, and I get to hear all the BS that they pull with customers. See below.

Get the VIN from the vehicle it's coming from, run a autocheck or carfax. A very common thing for smaller recyclers to do is buy a 120K car, mark the miles lower, and you never know the difference until there's an issue down the road, and they either wont help you or send you an even higher mile to replace it. Shit in a box marked guaranteed is still a guaranteed piece of shit.

LKQ in burlesson has one on the shelf, 33k and a 6 month warranty for $1075. Im leery of someone that will spend 200 bucks to ship it to you and still be cheaper, with a longer warranty. Even with 92k, LKQ has it listed for 950.
                      Can you link the 33k engine? I can't seem to find that in their inventory.

Do you work for LKQ? I like them, someone on this board hooked me up with front and rear disc brakes from a 2007 GT for my 1966 Mustang. They work great.
                      Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 08-22-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Drop an LS in it and be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                          drop an ls in it and be done.
                          fact

Comment

Someone did that to an 05 and converted it to RWD, it was awwsome

Comment

Can't tell you where to go, but I can tell you that I've made engines fit that didn't interchange. Nissan frontier engine = $1200, Infiniti engine that was the same, but didn't interchange = $300. I made that bitch interchange.

Comment

Working...
                              X