Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The age-old question: New or Used/Pre-Owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The age-old question: New or Used/Pre-Owned?

I'm needing a new vehicle, but I can't decide which direction to go. Been looking hard at a 2018 Focus ST ($26,xxx with dealer incentives fully loaded) but then I found a 2013 ($16,xxx with 68,xxx miles, fully loaded) and now I'm torn.
    Sure, a new one is gonna have the full warranty and all that, but going pre-owned does save me $10k, and honestly I plan on modding the thing to my liking anyways, which may or may not void the warranty on the a new one.
    Last new vehicle I bought was in 2004, and I only had it for a couple years.
    My biggest concern is that the 2013 is the 1st year of this model, and I've heard it's not always wise to buy a 1st year vehicle because they're prone to pita 1st year problems that I don't particularly want to deal with. That, and I have no idea what kind of reliability newer cars these days have. I'd hate to buy used and the a/c take a dump on me in 20k miles, or all hell break loose with some stupid electrical issue that eats a giant hole in the $10k I saved.

I've been a part of this board for 11 years now. Collectively, in that time you fuckers have bought more vehicles than shits I've taken in the past 2 months. Which is why I ask your advice.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

New

Comment

Following. I had a Focus ST as a rental recently, and it was quite fun.

FYI: if anyone regularly flies into Kansas City, rent from Budget if you have a Fast Break membership. You can get 6.4L Challengers/Chargers, 5.0 mustangs, SS Camaros, ST Focus, (all with stick shift transmissions) and Dodge Power Wagons without a huge up charge. The Focus ST I had was the same rate as a regular, non turbo Focus.

Comment

New.

I swear a week ago they had ST for around 24K with incentives. I know they had the RS and SHOs around 36k. Not all dealers were giving the full discounts though.

Comment

Buy New.

Comment

I bought the Mustang new, knowing that I'd be modding the hell out of it, and likely keeping it a while. That said, I'm seriously considering either a lease or used for the next family car. I bought the glorified Crosstour fully intending to keep it for the long haul, but now that it's out of warranty I have an excuse to upgrade to something newer, but have been hammered by that new vehicle depreciation.

Then again, we bought one of the the first to be delivered to Sacramento, so there wasn't a used X4 market just yet.

Comment

Certified Pre-owned. They extend the power train warranty to what, 6 years and 100K miles? Look around for a little newer used one.
              New cars loose so much value as soon as you drive it off the lot, especially "sports cars". Fuck, all Fords excluding F-150's really do horrible on trade in value/used value.

Comment

We do low mileage certified pre owned.
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I paid $37k for my 15 GT new in 2015, I bought my 16 GT used with 17k miles on it for $26k Still has warranty on it an all. I say used is the way to go, But at the same time 30 years from now I'll have a 1 owner first year S550 (if it lives that long) So pick your poison.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    We do low mileage certified pre owned.
                    Who is "we"?

"We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

It depends on the deal.

My f150 was only like 2K more expensive than the closest comparable CPO and had better options and the color choice I want.

If it was near a 10K savings...I would have gone for it but 2K for an older and less capable vehicle wasn't a good value.

I've also wondered how depreciation is calculated. Is it based on sticker price or actual sales price? Last I checked on the value of my truck...it was a minimal hit from purchase price.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
                        Who is "we"?

I'm guessing he's either referring to the mouse in his pocket, or his wife. Wives tend to appreciate being consulted when making a big purchase such as a vehicle. Though the Mercedes commercials that come out around Christmas time may have you believing otherwise.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        I've also wondered how depreciation is calculated. Is it based on sticker price or actual sales price? Last I checked on the value of my truck...it was a minimal hit from purchase price.
                        Depreciation is what what the car's worth today as compared to what you paid to purchase it, and is entirely dependent upon the market and a vehicles desirability. Leasing companies then use that data to come up with their number.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                          I'm guessing he's either referring to the mouse in his pocket, or his wife. Wives tend to appreciate being consulted when making a big purchase such as a vehicle. Though the Mercedes commercials that come out around Christmas time may have you believing otherwise.
                          Absolutely, whenever possible her name is also put on the title at the time of purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post

Depreciation is what what the car's worth today as compared to what you paid to purchase it, and is entirely dependent upon the market and a vehicles desirability. Leasing companies then use that data to come up with their number.
                            I definitely understand depreciation from my standpoint...I mean with respect to published data from companies that market the retained value vs other makes.

If you just look at MSRP it looks like my f150 took a huge hit. If you look at true sales price it looks great!

Edit: here's and example https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/h...fographic.html

This math just seems really fuzzy. If I could have found a comparably equipped truck at a 40% discount to new and only 3 years old I would have jumped on it. The discounts were only in the 10-15% range for lesser equipped.
                            Last edited by Ruffdaddy; 08-22-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I always try to go low mileage used.

Comment

Working...
                              X