Garage addition, anyone built one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage addition, anyone built one?

We have a detached garage. It is about 24x24. I am in full cleaning mode. Have taken 3 loads of stuff to the trash and just want to get really organized again. I have decided to build a small addition to the side of the garage. It will be 8x12 and store mostly the seasonal things. Christmas lights, camping gear, misc remodel supplies, etc. This was can store a car and either our pop up or trailer out of the weather when not in use.

Has anyone ever built one of these on and have pictures of the final product?

It will be a lean to off the side, but will be sheet rocked and finished out on the inside.
    Last edited by zachary; 08-01-2018, 08:58 AM.

First question - Are you in the city limits ?. Not getting permits can cause you some real head aches..

Comment

is the detached garage brick or siding? If it is brick, and you don't have enough to brick it, I would just build an 8x12 storage shed.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Just buy a tuff shed, or how about the attic for storing stuff like Xmas decorations and tree, etc.?

Comment

I am not even in your state much less the city limits!

it is just wood siding, easy to match up.

Cleared the spot out yesterday purchasing lumber tomorrow to start.

Comment

If anyone knows how to direct link from amazon let me know

...and here we begin! Just frame, set the posts tonight, then deck tomorrow.
            Last edited by zachary; 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Why the raised wood floor? Half your concrete floor is already there...

Comment

a lot of reasons

that slab is actually why this whole thing is being done, if it was done right it could be usable to frame off of

it has slightly sunk over the years and at a strong slope, the outside of it has turned fairly crumbly would not trust it to support for long because of that if you nailed frame work to it then you would have to worry about it eventually being pulled further down

It is made with rebar mixed into it, so demoing it would be a nightmare

it was not done right originally and if you enclosed an area flush with that water would probably find a way to creep into the addition

The plan was always to deck it and have a solid foundation.

Comment

It shouldnt be hard but just remember the addition probably wont shift at the same rate as the slab. If you dont have drywall on the inside, it probably doesnt matter.

Comment

I actually drove 2 12' teeposts down into the cement holes ahead of setting the posts just for some added depth support. If it does ever shift can easily just add a block to readjust.

Comment

more pics up. I was hoping to be all done with it, but 2 kids can change your plans sometimes and we ended up at a waterpark instead on Sunday!

Have most of the siding on, soon the cut out from the inside!

Comment

How do you change image size while embed on this site and I will post pictures...

Comment

Working...
                        X