? for the residential HVAC guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for the residential HVAC guys

The outside unit has a fan, which I believe is called a condenser fan and motor. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Where could I get a replacement locally? Mine is on its way out. I say this because it makes a humming sound as it works. When it doesn't work I can give it a slight spin and it will work again until it's time for it to cycle off.

TIA

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    --carlos

sigpic

They all make a humming sound you just don't notice it as much when everything is functioning properly. Same exact thing just happened to mine Saturday. Outside fan needed the slightest push to get started. Started with the cheapest option first, the capacitor and now it's back to normal.

What brand is your unit? Insert brand plus parts house into Google and there you go?

What part of town are you in?

Comment

Carrier. Oak Cliff

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

same as mine. your nearest supply house is 5535 Red Bird Center Dr #170, Dallas, TX 75237 although you need a license to shop there. In my neighborhood there is a U-fix-it where anybody can buy parts but they charge extra

Comment

Well can't shop there. SMH

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

I keep a spare capacitor on hand just for that purpose, have had two of them fail over the thus far 14-year life span of the unit. The failed ones have resembled a can that looked about ready to burst.

Comment

U-Fix-It is an appliance parts store in Dallas, Arlington, and Tyler, TX helping customers by offering FREE diagnosis advice. In-store pickup available!
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                I keep a spare capacitor on hand just for that purpose, have had two of them fail over the thus far 14-year life span of the unit. The failed ones have resembled a can that looked about ready to burst.
                I usually do but needed a fan two years ago as mine was completely locked up. Well my spare capacitor was factory sizing and not the right middle number. Fan stopped and hummed this year, sure enough new capacitor. So I ordered 3 from a parts liquidator for 24.00. Amro and Mars2 are decent (IIRC). Luckily I got a guy that usually comes out in hours, but 10.00 vs 200.00. He said they quit putting the cancer causing oil in them so they blow up almost every year to two years. Things use to last 10 freaking years.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I replaced the capacitor this morning in my unit. $25 and all better.

Comment

If you're certain it's the condenser fan motor look up the part number on Amazon. Mine was $150 which I thought was fairly reasonable considering 2-day delivery to my doorstep

Comment

You need a capacitor. Grainger or almost any ac/appliance parts house will sell to the public now. Match the reading on the capacitor ie. 35/5 mfd and get a 440vac. Can go up on voltage not down. If you need more help i can walk you through it if you own a meter.
                      2006 Civic SI
                      2009 Pilot
                      1988 GT
                      CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Well after doing some reading I'm NOT certain it's the fan motor anymore. Sounds like its possible the capacitor could be at fault. Damn, seems like a/c issues always come up at the most inopportune time.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                          You need a capacitor. Grainger or almost any ac/appliance parts house will sell to the public now. Match the reading on the capacitor ie. 35/5 mfd and get a 440vac. Can go up on voltage not down. If you need more help i can walk you through it if you own a meter.
                          Thanks beefed, I do have a meter, what I DON'T have is time. If I can find the time I'll let u know.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

You can run the fan by hand starting but you shouldnt. Its easy job like $10 and 5 mins.
                            2006 Civic SI
                            2009 Pilot
                            1988 GT
                            CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

I understand. Let me see what I can do.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Working...