Amp wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp wiring

I am looking to wire up a 2 amp system using 0 gauge to begin with. How does the copper clad wire rate versus the pure copper wire? I started looking at kits and saw that the copper clad was more prevalent.

You need a thicker clad wire to support the same amp load as solid copper. As long as either meets your needs it won't matter but pure copper is more flexible and is overall going to work better.

It's just a conductor, as long as it meets your needs any kind of wiring will work. Pure silver or gold would be even better!

Comment

I like using lamp cords, I think they are pure copper
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
        I use copper tubing from the plumbing section at lowes.

Comment

Do not use CCA wire. It will not flow the same current as copper and will also get hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
            Romex > lamp cord
            07 GT500
            05 SRT10
            88 turbocoupe T-bird
            93 Cobra
            86 coupe
            Ducati 848

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
              Do not use CCA wire. It will not flow the same current as copper and will also get hotter.
              EW,

Are you familiar with knukonceptz marine wiring?

I am going to make some battery, winch, stereo, and lighting harnesses in the near future and want a 1 stop shop for wiring and terminals. Do you have any preferences on brands?

This jeep will be a submarine and I haven't purchased the audio equipment but want to go ahead and run all wiring and speaker wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                EW,

Are you familiar with knukonceptz marine wiring?
                Having a pretty website and good marketing can not make up for the shortcomings in materials that your products are made from. If you want quality you have to pay the price for real quality. Seeing these guys hyping CCA cable reminds me of the fools who wear a gold plated aluminum donkey rope and think they are cool for doing so. Their regular copper stuff appears to be just fine.

For readily available decent quality cable just hit your local West Marine.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                  Having a pretty website and good marketing can not make up for the shortcomings in materials that your products are made from. If you want quality you have to pay the price for real quality. Seeing these guys hyping CCA cable reminds me of the fools who wear a gold plated aluminum donkey rope and think they are cool for doing so. Their regular copper stuff appears to be just fine.

For readily available decent quality cable just hit your local West Marine.
                  Their website is pretty basic and I am only going to buy OFC cabling. I just want to single source my order and their terminals seem configured similar to my needs unless there are better options for the money.

Comment

I have not used Knu. I do know that there are marine specs as far as the outer jacket is concerned. Metra sells marine grade OFC power wire. We usually use Stinger OFC and have no issues. I do not sell CCA wire.

From a wire website:
                    BC-5W2 is another marine specification. It is a heat rating designation on UL 1426 (105 ºC in a dry environment, 75 ºC in a wet environment). The term "boat cable" may sometimes be a specific term used in certain cases to indicate the BC-5W2 approved wire. BC-5W2 is suitable for use on boats and non-commercial marine vessels.

Comment

My main bitch with most supposedly high quality audio wiring is the battery terminals. All most 100% of the time if a battery lug is not crimped on with a tool designed just for that purpose the connection is worthless; they can also be soldered on. Stripping the wire and then clamping down on it with a bolt and seriously believing that you have a good connection is mind-numbingly stupid.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Check out welding cable.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                          Check out welding cable.
                          Welding cable has the flexibility but the insulation is not really suited for use in a car. You really need something that is not easily broken down by oil, gas, acid, or coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                            My main bitch with most supposedly high quality audio wiring is the battery terminals. All most 100% of the time if a battery lug is not crimped on with a tool designed just for that purpose the connection is worthless; they can also be soldered on. Stripping the wire and then clamping down on it with a bolt and seriously believing that you have a good connection is mind-numbingly stupid.
                            If you mean the machined terminals with a screw in them, I know what you mean. I use a hammer crimp most of the time but we also have a large bolt cutter style tool with crimper ends on it ($175ish) for times when the wire is already in the car and we can't hammer crimp it. The hammer crimp tool is $25 or so and kicks ass.

Comment

Working...
                            X