No announcement yet.

My Remodel Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are finally starting on the last major remodel project in this house. We have been here just over 4 years, have a 2 year old son now, and are getting ready to sell to move to the area we want him to attend school. What better time to do that one last thing that probably would have ensured we stayed in our home long term!

The master bathroom. Last year I replaced the master vanity and top with a custom built unit with ball bearing drawer glides and a cultured marble top. When I did that, I removed the soffit above the sink and re-routed the vent pipe. This time around, the brown tile we installed when we moved in is coming out and we are installing the same light colored tile that is in the guest bathroom. I'm also in the middle of removing the fiberglass shower unit, ripping out the drywall, and installing a new shower pan and tiling the walls.

Before demo began

Here is where I ended last night, my saw blade was shot at this point and I need to pick up some more today.

I hope to have the shower unit out this evening and be able to assess what work will need to be done to put in the shower pan. The shower pan is a drop in unit from American Acrylic in Farmersville. It should be a direct replacement unit for the fiberglass surround. Side entry with a left drain.
    Last edited by black2002ls; 07-12-2018, 10:37 AM.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Shower unit is out. Hopefully I can get the drain converted, shoer pan set, and water tested tomorrow after work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Made a bit of progress this evening. Tub is gone, debris cleaned up, and the drain is replumbed. I ended up cutting the ptrap out and replacing it. The next issue to sort out is the hump in the concrete around the drain. I'm hoping I have a local friend with an angle grinder if it comes down to it.

Comment

• Shower pan is in. Drain is water tested and didn't leak. I have the back wall hung. I am using USG Durock fiber mat tileboard. This is what we use in the homes I build, I trust product and have had to work zero warranty calls on leaks due to the backer board. I'm not sure if my installers caulk nail heads and joints like the install guidelines recommend, however, I am doing so. All joints will get silicone, screw heads siliconed, as well as the gap between the backer board and the pan.

Tomorrow, I hope to get the shower niches framed in. I may not get more than the header set, as I want to make sure they flow with the subway tile and don't end up misaligned. They are going in the wall opposite the shower head stacked vertically. 2 niches measuring 16"x16" with a soap dish in the corner. I am having to cut out a stud to accomodate them. I will frame in a 2x6 header to support any load above and then frame the niches below. They will get water proofed once installed.

Comment

• Coat your walls under the shower head in redguard

Comment

• Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              Coat your walls under the shower head in redguard
              any particular reasoning? Merely for extra insurance? This board is designed as a water resistant product and not needing any waterproofing membrane over top of it, unless it is in a horizontal orientation.

Comment

• Niches are framed in. I opted for a horizontal layout ILO the vertical stack I was originally planning. I decided not to mess with framing in a header, cutting out a stud, and most likely having to repair drywall on the bedroom side. I still need to piece in the tile board in and around the niches, though the upper and lower boards are set for the correct lap. Hopefully I can finish the niches tomorrow and get that area red guarded. Since you can't buy less than a gallon, I will most liky do as recommended just for the added insurance and redguard the corners and as much of the vertical walls below the water spray line as it will cover.

I still need to sort out the shower valve. My plumber said he would bring me one set up with a shower riser and some pex lines attached so that I could just mount it and conned the pex to my copper supply lines. Hopefully he brings it to me tomorrow so i can finish up the tile board.

Comment

• No photo updates, just trying to stay motivated as this thing is dragging on and on. My plumber was kind enough to give me a shower valve, already set up so all I have to to is install it and connect the supply lines. I'm going to try and get that done tonight so that I can hang the durock on the valve wall. The rear wall and end wall with the niches has 2 coats of red guard to about 7'. It was still drying overnight, I will check the thickness tonight and see if it needs a 3rd coat. It should be about the thickness of a credit card. my primary concern is the Niche area as it has the greatest potential for a leak, again, we use durock fiber mat for all of the showers in our new homes and I have dealt with zero leaks pertaining to this product, and we don't fully red guard the walls, only vertical areas. My goal is to have it fully tiled by the end of this weekend.

Comment

• So close, yet oh so far. In addition to these walls, I have the shower valve wall tiled up to the valve, only to discover my lines walked about 1/4" on me, so I pulled it down. I didn't draw a plumb line on that wall. I marked the tiles at 1/2 and tried to line them up. I'm not as good as I tjought I was...

Comment

• Glad to see you put up some redgard. For the price, its very cheap insurance for showers that are very prone to leak.

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                        So close, yet oh so far. In addition to these walls, I have the shower valve wall tiled up to the valve, only to discover my lines walked about 1/4" on me, so I pulled it down. I didn't draw a plumb line on that wall. I marked the tiles at 1/2 and tried to line them up. I'm not as good as I tjought I was
                        That's the reason why I bailed out on my bathroom remodel, I didn't want to screw it up, and have to redo it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                          That's the reason why I bailed out on my bathroom remodel, I didn't want to screw it up, and have to redo it.
                          Thankfully the thinset was still soft enough to pop them off!

Comment

• The cut outs in the back are gonna be bad ass dude.. looks great!!
                            "PSH!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                              The cut outs in the back are gonna be bad ass dude.. looks great!!
                              Thanks, I was quite pleased when the subway tiles landed exactly where they needed to! We have a mosaic tile that will go in the back of both of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                                Thanks, I was quite pleased when the subway tiles landed exactly where they needed to! We have a mosaic tile that will go in the back of both of them.

Have you done mosaic before? God they piss me the fuck off!
                                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X