No announcement yet.

Any cubscout/scout people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking news, judge Cavanaugh is now being accused of raping a priest and fingering ruffdaddy's B hole at a Boy Scout Jamboree in 1789. No witnesses are available for comment.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      The one I attended as a kid was pretty non-secular, with meetings held at a local elementary school and no real emphasis on religion (though I know they are primarily a Christian organization). The one I took my son to here was at a church, and most participants, including leaders, were members of that church and hammered us constantly to attend services. That was enough to push me away.
      The one I went to as a kid was at a church that I was a member of, but the leaders never pushed anyone to attend services there that I could tell. Of course this was long ago, like back in the 1960's, and the outdoor skills part was still being stressed even as a cub scout. I dropped out before joining the boy scouts, being too cool for such things.

Comment

I think it's worth noting, there is some actual function to the scouting uniform, particularly the shirt and kerchief, that I think some of you may not be aware of.

First, button up shirts are actually really good for working and living outdoors. I actually prefer them when we are remote camping, and wear them often. The stiffness is more an indicator of their durability, though I'm sure keeping costs low resulted in less desirable, more uncomfortable material choices. You can have stiff / thick / durable material that is also comfortable, but it won't be as affordable and parents are usually cheap.

Button up shirts tend to breath better, are more flexible in their ability to layer clothing, and provide useful / usable pockets. Long sleeve shirts are great, even in warmer weather, because you have the flexibility to roll or extend your sleeves so you can protect your forearms when needed (like when traveling through heavier brush). Modern synthetics are better for breathability (such as modern fishing shirts), but if you've ever walked through an area with a lot of undergrowth, you've probably gotten a bunch of snags, I know I have.

The Kerchief is far from just tradition.. kerchiefs / cravats / bandanas / shemaghs are very commonly used by outdoorsmen as they have a ton of very functional uses. Ask most former soldiers, and they will tell you how useful the cravat / bandage is, how they always used them in the field, and in more modern times, that goes for the shemagh too. Just some of the uses: pressure dressing, improvised tourniquet, debris filter for water, sling, headband (for sweat and / or to soak and wrap around the neck for evaporative cooling), handkerchief, towel, face mask (for dust)... And besides just for the 'look', wearing it around the neck keeps it readily available, and it doesn't take up pocket or pack space.

Like many things outdoor related, especially tried and true outdoor wear
        that people have been using for over a century, most of us modern city dwellers are just ignorant as to the function behind the design. In these cases, the clothing isn't stupid, it's actually well thought out and refined over decades of use, it's the user that is uneducated.

I also think that you guys need to google some.. The BSA uniforms have been updated over the years, and there are options available that do take advantage of modern materials and technology. It took me about 5 seconds to find an example of that:

Comment

My scout shirt is microfiber and vented. I don't particularly care for the neckerchief and don't wear it very often.

I'm surprised when I hear people balk at the costs. Our pack charges $170 for the YEAR, which the scout can actually cover themselves if they sell Pocorn with any effort at all. That includes several campouts and all sorts of other crap. I pay $70 a MONTH for my daughter's ballet class. We won't even talk about the prices some people pay for their kids to be in "select" sports.

I've never been in a pack/troop that pushed church, but there is a "scout sunday" that the scouts are encouraged (but not required) to attend and help out. For the activities that involve talking about church, I push that back on the parents and tell them to handle that activity.

Our pack is active, and we camp at least twice a year. There are several more offered at District level. You should visit several troop/packs and you can get a feel for how it's run and what they do. You aren't required to go to the pack that is at your child's school/church. Find one that fits. We go to one across town because the cubmaster is awesome and keeps the kids interested. I wish I'd found it when my son was younger.
          DamonH

Comment

I guess I was one of the lucky one's, I don't recall any chaffing from the uniform, and got to do quite a bit of camping throughout my years in scouts. A good portion of it being up in the beautiful smoky mountains, though my troop here in Texas got out in the woods quite a bit as well, and I got to learn a skill set that I would't have otherwise. I kid you knot. There were plenty of indoor activities too though, but no girls. Yuck! (kidding/not kidding)

IMO you are being judgmental Ruff, the prick/smiley was just a fun little illiterate jab. Thank god for the smiley buttons, I wouldn't be able to add 'em otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              I kid you knot.
              What you did there, I seenT it!
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I was in Scouting from a Cub Scout all the way up to an Eagle Scout.

Having a good leader is paramount. My two cents is to make sure you are in a well organized active troop.

We had camping trips every month except for August and December. Many many good childhood memories are from Boy Scouts. I enjoyed every minute. Went on canoe trips down the Colorado River, Philmont several times, trips to Vicksburg to learn about Civil War. Was a great time. Again having a great Scoutmaster is everything. I was lucky.

The uniforms are a non-issue if you really want to be in Scouts.
                Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

I also don’t agree that they let girls in the Boy Scouts. What is this world coming to? It is ok to keep genders separate.

CN

Comment

Yall are all like Dave from "Tag"

Also...is this how you embed youtube on this forum?

Comment

No, it's not.

Comment

I think it's worth noting, there is some actual function to the scouting uniform, particularly the shirt and kerchief, that I think some of you may not be aware of.

First, button up shirts are actually really good for working and living outdoors. I actually prefer them when we are remote camping, and wear them often. The stiffness is more an indicator of their durability, though I'm sure keeping costs low resulted in less desirable, more uncomfortable material choices. You can have stiff / thick / durable material that is also comfortable, but it won't be as affordable and parents are usually cheap.

Button up shirts tend to breath better, are more flexible in their ability to layer clothing, and provide useful / usable pockets. Long sleeve shirts are great, even in warmer weather, because you have the flexibility to roll or extend your sleeves so you can protect your forearms when needed (like when traveling through heavier brush). Modern synthetics are better for breathability (such as modern fishing shirts), but if you've ever walked through an area with a lot of undergrowth, you've probably gotten a bunch of snags, I know I have.

The Kerchief is far from just tradition.. kerchiefs / cravats / bandanas / shemaghs are very commonly used by outdoorsmen as they have a ton of very functional uses. Ask most former soldiers, and they will tell you how useful the cravat / bandage is, how they always used them in the field, and in more modern times, that goes for the shemagh too. Just some of the uses: pressure dressing, improvised tourniquet, debris filter for water, sling, headband (for sweat and / or to soak and wrap around the neck for evaporative cooling), handkerchief, towel, face mask (for dust)... And besides just for the 'look', wearing it around the neck keeps it readily available, and it doesn't take up pocket or pack space.

Like many things outdoor related, especially tried and true outdoor wear
                        that people have been using for over a century, most of us modern city dwellers are just ignorant as to the function behind the design. In these cases, the clothing isn't stupid, it's actually well thought out and refined over decades of use, it's the user that is uneducated.

I also think that you guys need to google some.. The BSA uniforms have been updated over the years, and there are options available that do take advantage of modern materials and technology. It took me about 5 seconds to find an example of that:

https://scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0809/a-design.html
                        You used a lot of words here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          You used a lot of words here.
                          And I'm sure nobody is surprised..

Comment

And I'm sure nobody is surprised..
                            I don’t think I’ve ever finished one of your entire posts, lol!

“Man I haven’t been here much the last two years but Craig still hasn’t run out of words”

Comment

I had no idea a subject on cubscouts would cause so much hostility.

I just want my kids to learn skillsets i never was taught and help them learn to be a leader while having fun with friends. Sure, the smaller kids have some artsy activities but there is no substitute for getting them out in nature and letting them be boys.

Its not about style, politics or my preferences.

Comment

meh, fluffdaddy is simply a miserable prick that needs to CNC a sense of humor.

Comment

Working...
                                X