Any cubscout/scout people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
    I had no idea a subject on cubscouts would cause so much hostility.

I just want my kids to learn skillsets i never was taught and help them learn to be a leader while having fun with friends. Sure, the smaller kids have some artsy activities but there is no substitute for getting them out in nature and letting them be boys.

Its not about style, politics or my preferences.
    Your sons will learn a bunch in scouts and props to you for being involved. They’ll learn how to tie knots, fold a flag, camping, swimming, rowing, canoes, first aid, all sorts of outdoors stuff, and probably a bunch of stuff you don’t want them to learn. Keep them in it as long as you can.

My son is 2 months old and I look forward to doing it with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      I don’t think I’ve ever finished one of your entire posts, lol!

“Man I haven’t been here much the last two years but Craig still hasn’t run out of words”
      And I never will my friend, I never will...

Comment

Comment

Scouting is great when the leaders are great and share the load. I never had an issue with the scout uniform and never wore a neckerchief. A lot of kids go bolo tie instead. I never starched my shirt either. I did scouts with my son and I did civil air patrol as a kid. I loved flying and camping. Scouting is a great way to be exposed to and learn lots of life skills.

The fact that one person is overly obsessed with a khaki shirt tells me all I need to know. After being den leader and assistant scout master for 5 years I was a bit burned out. Its a khaki shirt and jeans or khaki shirt and cargo shorts. You also get a pack or den t shirt you wear a lot too. I’m sad sometimes my son never finished and got eagle scout. The program really prepares kids to be successful if you have them do it. I also saw parents do it all for their kids too and that lessens the achievement to me.

But the shirt, the shirt.....

Comment

Man am I glad you jumped in! You're the perfect example of what I expect a scout to be at this point.

I am certainly not cut from the same cloth as you...for one I dont actually hate my life.

I also dont brag about how poorly my 401K Is at the age of 50+ or however old you are.

When I talk to technical matters I'm not just faking my way through it. Do they teach all scouts how to be so full of nonsense...or did you go through special training?

Lastly...I'm not jealous of anyone on this forum. You're so jealous that you literally try to chase me around any thread I'm in. Like a chihuahua barking at my heals...brains too small to know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              When I talk to technical matters I'm not just faking my way through it.

Why again was it you ran away from this site for several months?

Comment

Who said anything about jealousy (in this thread)?

If the uniform matters that much to you, then find another outlet for your son, it's that simple. Those of us that have enjoyed scouting and it's benefits have chimed in to say that it's not only not uncomfortable, but a part of the experience.

Shame that he'll miss out on potentially on wonderful growth experience because dad is more concerned about what he looks like than what he's doing and learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  Who said anything about jealousy (in this thread)?

If the uniform matters that much to you, then find another outlet for your son, it's that simple. Those of us that have enjoyed scouting and it's benefits have chimed in to say that it's not only not uncomfortable, but a part of the experience.

Shame that he'll miss out on potentially on wonderful growth experience because dad is more concerned about what he looks like than what he's doing and learning.
                  I'm talking (wrt jealousy) specifically and only to anthonys.

On a side note you guys really have helped give insight into the scout thought process and mentality so thank you. If my son is dead set on it...of course I will let him. It's just not something I will push him to do or try to encourage. The alternatives look worse because they all seem to have an agenda so those are in the same boat. We will just do the outdoors stuff in a less structured manner if nothing is available.

Edit: to be clear, the uniform reflects a mentality (which you all have confirmed). It's not appearance in isolation im concerned with as I've said time and time again. Boyscouts arent the only way to get these experiences either...but its interesting you think so. Another glimpse into the thought process.

Comment

Man am I glad you jumped in! You're the perfect example of what I expect a scout to be at this point.

I am certainly not cut from the same cloth as you...for one I dont actually hate my life.

I also dont brag about how poorly my 401K Is at the age of 50+ or however old you are.

When I talk to technical matters I'm not just faking my way through it. Do they teach all scouts how to be so full of nonsense...or did you go through special training?

Lastly...I'm not jealous of anyone on this forum. You're so jealous that you literally try to chase me around any thread I'm in. Like a chihuahua barking at my heals...brains too small to know any better.
                    Yep we aren’t the same. I’m not worried about your 401k, what you know, your age or your life at all. Your too busy worried about khaki shirts to have anything to offer.

Comment

I've been to a few non-scout summer camps (in the wilderness), spent time at the YMCA a few summers, and been on many scout outings. All fun and character building, though I would credit scouting with the most structured set of learning activities, and it also gives the opportunity to settle in with a good troop, and grow in fellowship and friendship with the other boys in the troop. It can and should be a long-term commitment, and the good troops are the ones with leaders and boys that see it as just that.

There are camps and groups of all kinds, BSA doesn't have a monopoly on youth activities, nor does it claim to, and they welcome outside experience that will help expand the experience of everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                        Yep we aren’t the same. I’m not worried about your 401k, what you know, your age or your life at all. Your too busy worried about khaki shirts to have anything to offer.
                        I'm sure you'll show me just how worried you're not by following me into the next thread huh? As naynay would say...living rent free!

Comment

I'm sure you'll show me just how worried you're not by following me into the next thread huh? As naynay would say...living rent free!
                          He is working on his stalking badge

Comment

The bad part of this whole thread is that you came in with the first reply and turned the whole thing into a shit show, fucking up the OP's thread with your nonsense, with the seeming sole intent of bashing scouts.. If all you really wanted was to find an alternative, you should have just created your own thread from the beginning.

Comment

Did you miss the part where he called me a judgemental prick? Or is this just selective bias?
                              Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              I don’t think I’ve ever finished one of your entire posts, lol!

“Man I haven’t been here much the last two years but Craig still hasn’t run out of words”
                              And neither have I you punk. I say you don't use enough words. Cause you can't. Cause you don't know very many.

I didn't know boy scouts still existed. There was some vague thing about them not wanting any gays in there or something.
                              WH

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                                He is working on his stalking badge
                                Lmao this puts you in a close second behind BVC for cutdown of the thread.

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                                The bad part of this whole thread is that you came in with the first reply and turned the whole thing into a shit show, fucking up the OP's thread with your nonsense, with the seeming sole intent of bashing scouts.. If all you really wanted was to find an alternative, you should have just created your own thread from the beginning.
                                Yeah you're probably right, while I genuinely was looking for a scout alternative, it should been a separate thread. That thread undoubtedly would have been the same shit show...but at least it didnt wreck someone else's.

Comment

Working...
                                X