DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Home Improvement and Media

Home Improvement and Media Post up any home improvement, home audio, gardening, anything related to your house in here.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Big A
Lifer

Default Subwoofer recommendations

The amp in my Polk sub is acting up, so I'll need to replace it sooner rather than later. I'm looking to stay under $1,000, what are the best bang-for-buck options? There are quite a few options in the $500-$1000 range, is the $750 SVS $250 better than the $500 SVS or comparable models?

It's a relatively large room, from what I typically see in residential home theaters, it's basically a carpeted 2-car garage (directly above it actually).
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
jluv
Lifer

I picked up a Bic Acoustech PL200 (12") a little over 3 years ago for my master bedroom, and I never get to stretch its legs. I'd done a little research on best bang for the buck, and it got great reviews at the time. I paid $328, but it looks like you can get them for around $299 now. I wish I could tell you how it does in a large room or at decent volumes, but I've never tried it in that environment.

I have four Polk PSW505 (12"), and for $200/each, I am extremely pleased with them. I had all four hooked up for a while in my living room, which is pretty big and open (600-ish sq ft), and it was just way overkill, so I kept two in there and put two down in the basement/man cave.

Some of the more expensive subs are certainly sexy, but I can't justify blowing that kind of money on them when the cheap ones sound fine to me, and I'd much rather spend my money on practical shit like truck parts, fishing tackle, and whiskey.
jluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
lincolnboy
By da people fo da people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
The amp in my Polk sub is acting up, so I'll need to replace it sooner rather than later. I'm looking to stay under $1,000, what are the best bang-for-buck options? There are quite a few options in the $500-$1000 range, is the $750 SVS $250 better than the $500 SVS or comparable models?

It's a relatively large room, from what I typically see in residential home theaters, it's basically a carpeted 2-car garage (directly above it actually).

SVS website has an outlet section. Great deals during holidays. Wait until black Friday and see what they have on the outlet section. I have the SP-2000 and wish I would have just gotten the 4000 or even better the 16. I
lincolnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
Chili
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
I have four Polk PSW505 (12"), and for $200/each, I am extremely pleased with them. I had all four hooked up for a while in my living room, which is pretty big and open (600-ish sq ft), and it was just way overkill, so I kept two in there and put two down in the basement/man cave.
We have one of these (PSW505) and it's probably much more than we even need. I just checked and right now it's set at under 1/3 on it's 'volume' knob, and for regular watching that's more than enough. When I want to get into a movie I may turn the sub up to about half, but I think that's the max I have really needed. More than that and the walls start to rattle.

Plus I think they look good. Simple and clean.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:38 AM   #5
DieselSmoke
One fool on a stool...

I have a 1000w Sunfire 12" and a Martin Logan 10" on my 7.2 Yamaha in the media room. Both hit very hard. The rest of my surround is PSB. And I've been buying factory refurbs with warranties from https://www.accessories4less.com for years and never had a problem.
You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.
DieselSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
lincolnboy

What does you guys like sealed or ported subs? I've got a sealed sub but curious on ported.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
fordracing19
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnboy View Post
What does you guys like sealed or ported subs? I've got a sealed sub but curious on ported.
I have a ported SVS. Nothing else to compare.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
lincolnboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
I have a ported SVS. Nothing else to compare.

Which model?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
fordracing19
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnboy View Post
Which model?
Pb2-plus Bought in 2003 and still shakes the house.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #10
8mpg
Lifer

SVS is a good way to go. Like lincolnboy said, check out their outlet section. They are very detailed on any damage. Mind had a scratch according to them but I couldnt see it when I got it. I got a PB12 which is the old version of the PB2000. If you have a large room, go ported.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #11
Gasser64
Lifer

Get one of them flat ones so it don't take up too much space