Where to buy Tomahawk steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy Tomahawk steaks?

Buddy of mine called me up yesterday afternoon asking if I knew where to get one as he wanted to grill it for the football game. I honestly had know idea having never bought one myself but have seen others post up pictures on Facebook. Other than the usual meat markets (that were closed), the only place I remember hearing that they were available at was Costco. They had already been to the one in Cedar Hill with no luck. So looking for suggestions on where to buy one for my friend. Might have to pick one up myself to give it a try grilling. Ideas?

IIRC a tomahawk steak is just a large cut ribeye with the bone still attached. When I buy a rib roast it sometimes has the bone and I have to trim it off before or after cooking (not as large as a tomahawk cut), its a pain in the ass after, so I could only imagine still having the large bone protruding as your trying to cook eat it. Also when the cut is that big you can't cook it past medium rare/medium or the outside chars up. These days when I buy a rib roast I have the bone removed and trimmed, its easier to cook (roast) or if I make steaks out if it, I cut them at right under 2 inches, trim, season and grill my own.

Though to answer your question, most butchers will cut it like that for you, but your going to have to buy more than one I believe as they have to cut it from a side of beef. I guess it would still be good, but I like to wet age my steaks for a week or so before I cook them...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Having never had one I'm not sure what all the fuss is about over a another cut of meat. But I do know that I'd rather have something well marbeled and that might not be easily found at a grocery store meat market. I'm guessing bone in is also part of the appeal of this cut (doesn't it add some flavor while cooking it?).

The Tomahawk steak is one of the most luxurious orders that a Texan can find at a Dallas steakhouse. Find out a little more about this cut!

WHAT IS A TOMAHAWK STEAK?
      The Tomahawk steak is one of the most desirable cuts of meat at a Dallas steakhouse. This unique cut is usually served in a very large portion and most couples split this steak when it is ordered for an entree.

The Tomahawk steak is a bone-in rib-eye steak that comes from between the 6th and 12th rib of a cow. The steak usually weighs between 30 and 45 ounces and is well-marbled with fat and cooked to the perfect amount of tenderness and flavor. Due to its strong, natural flavors, this steak usually requires little seasoning from your Dallas steakhouse chef.

Comment

Bone adds flavor, but not enough to pay $20, $30, $40 a pound for a damn bone.

Deep Cuts, Local Yocal should have them.

EDIT: I should add, I do enjoy a tomahawk. I’ll order it if the deal is decent. Bob’s hasn’t it on special every now and then. But, I’m fine with a plain old bone in ribeye as well.
        Last edited by bcoop; 10-22-2018, 05:00 PM.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Cool! Thanks Brent!

Comment

I'll second Brent in the fact that you're paying a lot for some bone. Buying tomahawk over bone in ribeye is an appearance thing so as long as hes cool with that...

Costco has deals on them every now and then, and local yocal will probably cut you one as well.

If you really want a great steak look for a high grade wagyu cut. Local yocal is a great vendor of wagyu...much better selection and price than the cuts sold at bbq stores.

Another option is to cook a whole tenderloin. You can get a pretty good deal on enough tenderloin to serve 4-6 people for less than $100.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

If you really want a great steak look for a high grade wagyu cut. Local yocal is a great vendor of wagyu...much better selection and price than the cuts sold at bbq stores.
              Local Yocal has the best Wagyu beef in Dallas, hands down. Deep Cuts carries Heartbrand wagyu, but I find LY's beef to be much more marbeled and have much more flavor. The owner of LY is a rancher, and I don't know if that wagyu is his, or if he's just reselling Wagyu, but I will say that LY supplies a number of DFW high end steakhouses, among them, Al Biernat's. That said, fuck me running, expect to pay for that stuff. I bought a massive, bad ass wagyu bone in ribeye from them the last time I was up there. I'll never publicly admit what I paid for that steak, but I'll say the discount I got was either $50 or $70. Higher than giraffe pussy, but it was soooooooooo fucking good.

On the flip side, their Wagyu "McKinney Cut" is probably one of the least known, best deals around. I can't remember exacts but it was under $10 a pound. They're about 1- 1 1/4" thick, and cut in thin strips. They have just beautiful marbeling for the flavor, while not being "too fatty" for the communist, America hating crowd that doesn't like a fatty steak. Great marbeling, great flavor, and cook very well.

Comment

Thanks for the insight guys! Like I've said, I've never tried a Tomahawk and I'll admit it looks awesome. But I'm guessing a lot of what you are paying for is the weight of the bone and a good rib eye (same quality of meat) would taste equally as good.

Comment

I've never had a tomahawk steak, but I have ordered a bone-in-ribeye from Al Biernat's last Christmas, one of the better steaks I've ever had. And I wasn't the only one at the table gnawing on the bone afterwards, I couldn't help it, that bitch was delicious to the very end...
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    Thanks for the insight guys! Like I've said, I've never tried a Tomahawk and I'll admit it looks awesome. But I'm guessing a lot of what you are paying for is the weight of the bone and a good rib eye (same quality of meat) would taste equally as good.
                    There are 3 different cuts in discussion

-tomahawk
                    -bone in ribeye
                    -ribeye

The different between tomahawk and bone in from the way I'm using the term is the length of the bone. So you're paying for a lot more bone on a tomahawk. Those should taste nearly identical.

Maybe it was just my imagination ..but I do think a bone in or tomahawk will have a different taste *than a boneless ribeye.
                    Last edited by Ruffdaddy; 10-23-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I mentioned that I wanted one as we walked by the butcher section of Central market, and my wife thought it would be fun to surprise me with one. It was way overpriced, but nice marbling, and really thick. I enjoyed every bite. It was thick enough that I thought it best to reverse sear it, and it worked beautifully.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Maybe it was just my imagination ..but I do think a bone in or tomahawk will have a different taste *than a boneless ribeye.
                        They definitely have more flavor. I don’t know that I’d say a different taste, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          They definitely have more flavor. I don’t know that I’d say a different taste, though.
                          I'm not educated well enough on the subject to understand the difference in flavor and taste...but I fully agree with the more flavor comment.

Comment

I'm not educated well enough on the subject to understand the difference in flavor and taste...but I fully agree with the more flavor comment.
                            There are 5 basic tastes known to man. Sweet, salty, bitter, sour and savory/umami. You could argue that you get more of the umami with a bone in steak, but it would take someone more tied in to the food science side than I am to explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              On the flip side, their Wagyu "McKinney Cut" is probably one of the least known, best deals around. I can't remember exacts but it was under $10 a pound. They're about 1- 1 1/4" thick, and cut in thin strips. They have just beautiful marbeling for the flavor, while not being "too fatty" for the communist, America hating crowd that doesn't like a fatty steak. Great marbeling, great flavor, and cook very well.
                              This sounds like what Midland Meat Company calls their Denver cut, best value in the place for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X