Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there much advantage in supplying my own wireless router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there much advantage in supplying my own wireless router?

Im on internet company #2 here in Stephenville and they gave me to option to rent theres for $8/month or supply my own. Whats the advantages of supplying my own other than cost savings? Longer wifi distance, faster?

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
    Im on internet company #2 here in Stephenville and they gave me to option to rent theres for $8/month or supply my own. Whats the advantages of supplying my own other than cost savings? Longer wifi distance, faster?
    All my dropped wifi signals were fixed when i got rid of my rented combo cable modem/router and I went with my current Netgear router...Not to mention, most companies won't stay on top of firmware updates which just causes more problems...and most of those rented routers will not broadcast dual signals (2.4 and 5ghz) simultaneously...you have to pick one or the other

You won't have any problems at first but in 6 months to a year you will start dropping your wifi connection daily..

Get you one of these with a cheap modem and you will be set

Comment

Saving money.

Comment

I lease the MODEM from my cable company, but provide my own routing/switching.

I went the route of the ACM3200 when I replaced my ASA5505 and wireless AP. The device listed above is great too - a lot of good consumer crap on the market now.

Generally speaking, you will get more features (wireless, parental controls, "qos" (sort of a joke), filtering, network map, phone app, monitoring, VLANs and so on) than most cable provided devices. IMHO, the ROI is not that great on providing your own when you buy a higher end device - but for those of us who get some level of enjoyment/satisfaction on tweaking nerd knobs it is really worth it.

However, if you're just wanting hassle free and want the cable company to assume liability/ownership of the devices - lease their gear.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

The legacy installer told us they rent really shitty routers, and my 10+ year old netgear was better. I ended up replacing it with a newer dual band anyway.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            I lease the MODEM from my cable company, but provide my own routing/switching.

I went the route of the ACM3200 when I replaced my ASA5505 and wireless AP. The device listed above is great too - a lot of good consumer crap on the market now.

Generally speaking, you will get more features (wireless, parental controls, "qos" (sort of a joke), filtering, network map, phone app, monitoring, VLANs and so on) than most cable provided devices. IMHO, the ROI is not that great on providing your own when you buy a higher end device - but for those of us who get some level of enjoyment/satisfaction on tweaking nerd knobs it is really worth it.

However, if you're just wanting hassle free and want the cable company to assume liability/ownership of the devices - lease their gear.
            lol @ nerd knobs

Comment

Lea bought one but we haven't actually installed it yet. We're getting ours mainly because of our security camera setup. We've changed modems / internet providers a couple times and each time each camera has to be individually reprogrammed for the new network. So by buying our own router, we won't have to change the wifi stuff no matter which provider we're using or how many times we change.

The added range should be nice. My work computer doesn't get the best signal in my home office (it's the furthest from the router) which causes me to get booted from VPN once in a while.

Comment

I kept getting dropped on my provided wi-fi and went with a cheap $25 wireless on Amazon that hasn't dropped a single time and gives me signal throughout the house along with outside. It was a cheapy for me to test but havne't had a single problem with it. Looks like price is $10 more now.

Comment

Working...
                X