Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4k tv's - anyone think they're over rated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4k tv's - anyone think they're over rated?

I finally decided to upgrade my 50" plasma TV a couple of weeks ago. I went with a Samsung 65" Ultra HD 4k TV. At first I thought it was badass. The first thing I watched was the Canelo v GGG fight. Looked really good and was happy with the TV.

Since then I've been able to catch Black Hawk Down, Furious 7, and a few other action movies. The most noticeable issue is red and blue lights in the film. If the setting is dark, like driving at night, the red tail lights look terrible compared to the rest of the screen. Same goes for blue lights. Also, it seems like the TV can't keep up with fast moving objects...almost seems choppy for a second until the scene changes. But the biggest thing I can't seem to adjust to is how clear scenes are that shouldn't normally be clear. For example, I was watching TWD reruns and the prison scene, should be a dark, musty, dimly lit scene. I could see everything clear as day in the entire prison. Another was Black Hawk Down, when they're pinned down after the chopper crash and they're in one of the buildings. The gun fire, smoke, dust, and darkness should give a certain feel but not on this TV.

It's kinda funny that I'm complaining about clarity but it just seems to make the scenes less realistic. Anyone else experience this? At this point I'm obviously stuck with the TV otherwise I'd put my 8 year old plasma back up.

Were all of those movies in 4k format to begin with, and played using a true 4k player? If not, you may have other issues going on, but it's not the 4k technology to blame.

Comment

Agreed, the Andy Griffith Show looks like hammered dog shit. Screw 4k!

Comment

You should adjust the sharpness and the motion smoothness function on the TV. I'd probably try turning the motion smoothness off completely.

Your TV is capable of playing video back at a fairly high frame rate. TV, movies and sporting events could all be broadcast at different rates so they'll look weird on a good TV.

You can hire someone to come out and professionally tune it btw but it's not cheap. I adjust mine with the THX tuning screen on Star Wars DVDs.

Comment

Its a scam for anything but PC use.
          sigpic

Comment

Put the picture in game mode. Samsung has this simulated 120hz refresh rate mode that can cause issues like that. Mine was having bad lip synch problems. Game mode turns that shit off.

Comment

movies seem so fake and terrible acting is more prominent in high def.

Wonder Woman is so shitty in HD

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                Were all of those movies in 4k format to begin with, and played using a true 4k player? If not, you may have other issues going on, but it's not the 4k technology to blame.
                Probably not, I guess. I knew there wouldn't be much actually broadcasted in 4k. I guess I just assumed the TV would adjust automatically to non 4k movies. These were on cable TV, not DVD or Blue Ray.

Originally posted by BP View Post
                You should adjust the sharpness and the motion smoothness function on the TV. I'd probably try turning the motion smoothness off completely.

Your TV is capable of playing video back at a fairly high frame rate. TV, movies and sporting events could all be broadcast at different rates so they'll look weird on a good TV.

You can hire someone to come out and professionally tune it btw but it's not cheap. I adjust mine with the THX tuning screen on Star Wars DVDs.

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                Put the picture in game mode. Samsung has this simulated 120hz refresh rate mode that can cause issues like that. Mine was having bad lip synch problems. Game mode turns that shit off.
                I'll look at the settings again, maybe I missed something the first time. I know there's a setting for different picture modes, Dynamic, Movie, Standard and something else.

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                movies seem so fake and terrible acting is more prominent in high def.

Wonder Woman is so shitty in HD
                I definitely noticed this! I've seen Black Hawk Down and The Hurt Locker numerous times. It's a pretty good flick but after watching part of it last night, I was questioning why I liked it so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                  I definitely noticed this! I've seen Black Hawk Down and The Hurt Locker numerous times. It's a pretty good flick but after watching part of it last night, I was questioning why I liked it so much.
                  I'm glad it's not just me! When i first got my tv i was like "i didn't notice that before this sucks!"

Comment

I'm going to assume the 4K upscaling is what you are referring to as not being all that impressive. If the source is 4K (Bluray disc, Netflix Streaming), 4K Bluray player, Hi-Speed HDMI Cable, and 4K TV, then the picture is amazing. 4K upscaling, not so much. Also, TVs with low motion rates make everything have the "soap opera" effect. Otherwise, regular 1080I|P HD is better in some cases. Also, if your seating arrangement puts you too close to the screen you are going to see more imperfections(aliasing, motion blur, etc.). You should be at least 9.5'-10' away when viewing a 60"-65" TV.

I kept my big 1080P Panasonic Viera Plasma. Can't beat Plasma for deep blacks. That and you can't buy them anymore.

Comment

Youtube and Netflix have lots of 4K video assuming your internet can support it.

Also make sure you check for any firmware updates on your TV, Samsung might have already fixed your problem.

Comment

Im still rocking a 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP from 2011 and will continue doing so until the FCC introduces a new standard for next gen HDTV and TV's hit the shelves that can receive it. 4K is a scam for 90% of the people buying them who will likely NEVER watch anything in 4K on them other than at the store they bought them at who play pre-made 4k video loops.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                          I'll look at the settings again, maybe I missed something the first time. I know there's a setting for different picture modes, Dynamic, Movie, Standard and something else.
                          Should be in that menu.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                            I kept my big 1080P Panasonic Viera Plasma. Can't beat Plasma for deep blacks. That and you can't buy them anymore.
                            You can beat a plasma - try OLED. True black.
                            2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                              You can beat a plasma - try OLED. True black.
                              I'm aware that OLED is good technology. However, Plasma is pretty impressive on deep blacks and vivid colors for what is now a "legacy" format.

Comment

Working...
                              X