2006 FedEx Monte Carlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 FedEx Monte Carlo

I have challenged myself to complete at least one model car build to take to the MCMA Showdown in March. My Denny Hamlin Monte Carlo is first on the list. I like race cars for these types of things, as there is a lot of opportunity to add detail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

A few pictures of the progress. This build was started 7 or 8 years ago. The kit chassis was cut up and a large portion of the roll cage was re-built out of styrene rod for accuracy. the only part of the kit roll bar that was kept was the firewall and from the top door bars down. The rest is all scratch built using various reference shots.

Here you can get a good idea of the work that went into the cage:

the body didn't require much work. I removed the center section of the cowl, that will be mounted to the air cleaner box to be a little more accurate. Also, in this first picture you can see that the molded in hood pins were sanded off and holes drilled for the hood pin posts to come through the hood. Notice in later pictures that the holes are closer to the edges of the hood, which is more accurate.

Here you can see a little more of the chassis detail. The supports added for the cowl

Finally some decals! I ruined the bow tie for the hood so I need to come up with a new decal for that as well as a green that matches the decals for the spoiler. Base color is dupli color black, clear is 2 part automotive urethane, sanded with 12K grit paper and polished with meguiars ultimate compound. Once the decals are complete, I will bury them in clear as well.

Last edited by black2002ls; 12-14-2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Starting to add some chassis detail. Painting molded in pieces, adding some roll bar padding, etc.

A lot of the kit pieces are just not suitable for a quality show entry, so I ditched the kit headers and made my own from solder, heat shrink tubing, and some paint.

I painted the headers with a base coat of alclad aluminum, and then added the heat staining and color with various Testors metallizers and Tamiya Clears. I also created some new shocks for the front from various sizes of aluminum tubing and music wire.

And the engine in the chassis. I used some pieces from a racing harness set, painted with Tamiya Titanium gold and clear yellow to look like the tops of the ball joints on the upper A-Arms.

I'm waiting on a shipment of photo etched goodies for details and to get a few more things done on this. I need to place an order for A/N fittings and braided line tomorrow. Once that all arrives, this thing will really start coming together.

Last edited by black2002ls; 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

cool .. I need to build some kits I am hoarding myself

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
          cool .. I need to build some kits I am hoarding myself
          All of my stuff spent almost a decade in storage. Things have been stressful at work, and I've needed something to take my mind off of things. So, I dug out some kits. Now that I am not scraping from pay check to pay check, I can buy all of the aftermarket goodies to finish up some of these projects I had high expectations for in the past.

Comment

very cool

Comment

I could never do something like that. I almost rage quit the thread it took so long.

Comment

Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                  I could never do something like that. I almost rage quit the thread it took so long.
                  Haha!
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I would so drive the shit out of that!

Comment

That's pretty awesome. I have a suggestion though. That paint scheme of the Fed Ex Ground scheme is the one he scored his first win at Pocono. Maybe do a carbon copy?

Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                      Last Game - Loss vs. San Fransisco
                      Up Next - vs. Atlanta

2017 NFC West Division Champions

Comment

Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                        Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by pHILSANITY07 View Post
                          That's pretty awesome. I have a suggestion though. That paint scheme of the Fed Ex Ground scheme is the one he scored his first win at Pocono. Maybe do a carbon copy?

He ran the same scheme at Martinsville in the spring I believe. It COULD be a Pocono car, though I'm not sure how much of the short track equipment doubles over to an intermediate track. I went with a short track car so that I could pack it full of details. Bumper bars and supports. Brake cooling ducts and plenums, etc. More stuff, more pop, more for the judges to ooh and aaah at.

Thank you for that image though! I have been concerned about finding an exact match to the decals for the spoiler. In that pic, it appears the spoiler and "Ex" are two different shades, and the tape on the front valance is a 3rd shade

Comment

I'll go through CIA stock photo and see if I can find a photo for you to work with. I'll look at the martinsville races and also the races at richmond and bristol because that's almost the same type of short track setup.
                            Los Angeles Rams 11-5
                            Up Next - vs. Atlanta

Comment

A little more work done today. I started putting in the hood pin posts, adding zip ties to roll bar padding, and got the steering shaft built. The steering shaft is aluminum tube in different sizes.

Comment

Working...
                              X