Bathroom and Shower Remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom and Shower Remodel

I am currently in the middle of planning out my remodel on an older 60’s/70’s style bathroom. This is a smaller sized bathroom as you can see and I do not want to break the bank on the remodel, but on the other hand, I do not want to cheap out on purchasing nice equipment where it is needed(such as the valves and so forth).

I have tried my best to learn what I can and put some thought into this and here is what I THINK I have decided on and wanted to run my plans by some of you with more experience and get your opinions…

I plan on demoing out pretty much everything currently in the bathroom(removing the tile on the walls, removing the window and frame(no longer can see out of due to an added room) and sheet rocking over it, removing the vanity, light fixture, mirror, and medicine cabinet).
    Basically gutting the bathroom and also the shower area.

Here are pictures in the current condition…

Here is what I have purchased…

Vanity: The current vanity is 55” and I am replacing it with the one below. The new vanity is only 49” and will free up some space by the commode, which I will probably place a trashcan or TP holder in. The vanity is dark brown in color and has brushed nickel hardware.

Faucet: I wanted a waterfall faucet but I notice the pressure is regulated, but I will be shaving in the shower so not a deal breaker for me. Hopefully it is regulated inline so I can get my plumber to “modify” it for me, but I have no clue if the ceramic cartridge is what regulates it or not.

Vanity Mirror:

Rear Mirror:

Light Fixture:

Toilet: Not being replaced

Flooring: I am undecided here, but most likely it will be some sort of travertine laid in a diagonal pattern. But I have also seen the Travertine Vinyl tile flooring as well and that is a thought currently as well. I feel this might minimize the chance of it cracking but question the durability.

Shower: Since this is an older shower, it will be raised by about 10-12” to the ceiling. The old shower pan will be removed and new shower pan poured out of mortar, sloped, and lined correctly. Everything will be sealed with rediguard afterwards. I plan on using real travertine in the shower area with minimal grout lines. I am not sure about the tile size or the pattern lay in this area, but I do know that I want a breaker about eye level. I also plan on doing a frameless glass door. I want a handheld shower head as well as a rainfall overhead shower head in the shower. I also am going to install one overhead shower LED light to light the area a bit.

I found a place online for the shower door that seems to be a manufacturer and is dirt cheap and even has a price calculator.
    Mine was only $365 with all hardware and $65 for delivery.
    If anyone wants to know the site, it is here…

Walls: The tile will not be put back on the walls(hopefully this is a good decision), but there will be tile on the floor, shower, and a 3” tile footer. The walls will be painted tan in color to match the other areas. The door will be painted white.

If there is anything that can be improved or any advice given in any way, I sure would appreciate it.
    The project is due to start in a week or two, but just trying to plan ahead and make sure that I do everything right.

This is the 2nd bathroom correct?

Comment

I'd want to open the shower more if possible, not knowing what's on the other side of the wall of where the towel rack is obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
        This is the 2nd bathroom correct?
        Yes sir

Originally posted by CWO View Post
        I'd want to open the shower more if possible, not knowing what's on the other side of the wall of where the towel rack is obviously.
        My thought at first as well and there is a closet on the rear side of the shower, but only issue is...it would leave the master bedroom with no closet.

Comment

Yeah, that's no good.

Comment

Got the bathroom gutted to the studs...

1800lbs worth of concrete surrounding the shower...

Had to relocate the shower drain and remove old shower pan...

Opened up the doorway to the shower and raised the height...

Electrical ran...

Comment

I think we must live in the same neighborhood and have the same (original) floorplan in our homes. Our master bath is laid out exactly the same, the master closet is in the same place as you describe, and I even had the same blocked off window due to additions. Is your water heater closet behind the towel rack in this pic?:

We did do some updating in ours a few years back but not to the studs like it really needs. I built a cabinet into the "window". We replaced everything else, re-textured the walls, etc. The one thing we didn't touch was the shower. Someone had redone it at some point, so it doesn't have the low ceiling but at this point it really needs to be redone.

We really just need to go down to the studs like you.

Comment

Just a heads up....there's a suitcase in your shower.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  I think we must live in the same neighborhood and have the same (original) floorplan in our homes. Our master bath is laid out exactly the same, the master closet is in the same place as you describe, and I even had the same blocked off window due to additions. Is your water heater closet behind the towel rack in this pic?:

We did do some updating in ours a few years back but not to the studs like it really needs. I built a cabinet into the "window". We replaced everything else, re-textured the walls, etc. The one thing we didn't touch was the shower. Someone had redone it at some point, so it doesn't have the low ceiling but at this point it really needs to be redone.

We really just need to go down to the studs like you.

I live in NRH(by North Hills Hospital area).
                  The home was built by a home builder name JR Whitbeck and was his primary residence.
                  All the wood looked to be cedar and that shower was a nightmare to demo.

I didn't plan on going down to the studs but once I start something I make sure and try to do it right. We saw a bit of black mold so down came all the sheetrock. We are replacing it with green board in the bathroom area and hardiebacker board in the shower area. Once we opened up the ceiling and doorway of the shower to 32"(was only 24") it really made that shower seem a ton bigger. Only issue is that the shower door most likely won't open fully because of the commode sticking out. I think the only way we have found to combat that is to use a two way hinge so that the shower door swings both ways going in and out of the shower but I am always open to suggestions.

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                  Just a heads up....there's a suitcase in your shower.
                  Used to be another closet, lol
                  Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 10-02-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Went with all travertine...
                    8x8 going on the shower, brick laid, sealed without enhancer
                    12 x 12 going on the floor, diagonally laid, sealed with enhancer
                    large smooth travertine pebbles on the shower floor

Shower will have a rear inset shelf, 2 front shelfs, travertine breaker about chin level, moen overhead pressurized rainfall showerhead, speakman luxury hotel adjustable showerhead with cutoff, dimmable cree led light, and frameless glass door.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                      Went with all travertine...
                      8x8 going on the shower, brick laid, sealed without enhancer
                      12 x 12 going on the floor, diagonally laid, sealed with enhancer
                      large smooth travertine pebbles on the shower floor

Shower will have a rear inset shelf, 2 front shelfs, travertine breaker about chin level, moen overhead pressurized rainfall showerhead, speakman luxury hotel adjustable showerhead with cutoff, dimmable cree led light, and frameless glass door.

Depending on joint size, you may want undsanded ground.
                      VERY Nice choice BTW

Comment

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                          Depending on joint size, you may want undsanded ground.
                          VERY Nice choice BTW
                          Appreciate it.
                          Unsanded grout will be used in the shower laid with 1/8" spacing.
                          Sanded grout will only be used on the floor. Probably will do a 1/4" spacing on the floor.

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                          Can't wait to see the finished product!
                          Me too!
                          It will be a while though because I am going to finish the bathroom completely before ordering a custom frameless door and I was told that process alone is 2-3 weeks. Bathroom(minus door) will be done by end of next week hopefully. We are doing the plumbing and drywall this weekend.

Comment

6MM plastic covering all studs...

Relocated drain towards center, poured 4 bags of quickcrete and put up hardieboard on top half and all seams were siliconed...

Shower Liner going in(5ft roll so that's as high up as we could go)...

We used a pretty cool method to pour the pan.

Pouring the pan...

We used 2 bags and poured the pan pretty thick.
                            The pan turned out nice and seems to be very even and perfectly sloped(the psi strength of the product we used is 4200).
                            Shower pan and all seams will be coated with RedGuard Membrane and then tile laid.
                            We opened the shower door up from 24" to 37" and shower walls were opened up by a couple inches each(from all the concrete we took out).
                            Getting quotes on a shower door currently.
                            Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 10-08-2014, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Looking good !! Looking forward to the pics of the end result.

Comment

Working...
                              X