Any architects in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any architects in here?

Question is, what's your recommendations on schools, know of any online schools possibly..
    I'm all the way out in Greenville, roughly 30 minutes east of rockwall with a kid on the way it's hard to break away hours from my 7-5 job and still pay the bills

I built a shed once.

Comment

From everything I know, architect as a profession is about as dead as it gets.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Well that royally sucks to hear...

Comment

Yep...if not dead...greatly degraded. Much like law during this time period.

What is it you want to do?

Comment

Architecture aint no joke. My cousin is one. He spent hundreds of hours (sleeping many nights in the design room) doing his degree. He did UTA for his bachelors and masters. You wont do shit without a masters in architecture and even when you come out of your masters, you wont make but $40k or so. You better be in for the long haul. My other cousin is just starting his masters in architecture at the University of Cincinnati. He also spent hundreds of hours at school working on models and plans. I highly doubt you will be able to do this online.

Comment

Thanks guys. That's a bit depressing honestly. I've always wanted to design houses, city layouts, bridges and buildings. Or am I looking more at civil engineering with this aspect?

Comment

Originally posted by Jmd View Post
                Thanks guys. That's a bit depressing honestly. I've always wanted to design houses, city layouts, bridges and buildings. Or am I looking more at civil engineering with this aspect?
                Go civil engineering if you want to get into the city layouts, bridges etc. Also probably won't be online (at least I hope not).

There are actually jobs in that field however

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Yep...if not dead...greatly degraded. Much like law during this time period.

What is it you want to do?
                  Law isn't as dead as people think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    Law isn't as dead as people think.
                    Lol only if you've been doing it for a long time. If you're Going into it now, don't expect it to be nearly what it used to be. Pay is pretty damn low, jobs are mostly bitch work, while competition is still high.

I was actually speaking with a lawyer at a career fair yesterday that is getting into engineering because the money isn't there in law and he hates the work, he wanted to either change jobs or go into patent law.

Now if you can specialize in something like patent law that's different, but also requires a technical degree in addition to a JD, and often times technical experience.

Comment

LowFast or whatever is one, maybe email him
                      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Seems anecdotal, at best, but likely applicable to a fresh grad with no life experience. Where did you get your JD?

Specialization is key, and those with a BS can get a certificate in patent law. That doesn't mean that you still can't specialize in patent/IP law with a BA.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            Seems anecdotal, at best, but likely applicable to a fresh grad with no life experience. Where did you get your JD?

Specialization is key, and those with a BS can get a certificate in patent law. That doesn't mean that you still can't specialize in patent/IP law with a BA.
                            He had been working about 2 years, so yes pretty fresh.

I don't have a JD (or want one), I wasn't actually looking for law positions either but just ran across him since he was waiting to speak with us. I do work with patent attorneys quite a bit however, and they all seem to do quite well with a lot of them being in their mid 30s.

And you're correct, you only need the technical degree to sit for the uspto exam. You actually don't need a law degree to if you're ok with just being a patent agent. I've considered taking it just for shits and gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              If you're Going into it now, don't expect it to be nearly what it used to be. Pay is pretty damn low,
                              I have no vested interest here as I am staying far away from law, but what time frame is "used to be" ?

How Much Do Law Firms Pay New Associates? A 16-Year Retrospective

Table 1 provides a 16-year overview of law firm starting salaries based on NALP's annual Associate Salary Survey. The figures in these tables thus reflect salary figures reported by law firms, rather than salaries reported by law school graduates obtaining jobs in private practice

Salary medians in the largest firms in the four largest employment markets are shown in Table 2.

For reference the US inflation rate over that same period was 43.4%
                              Last edited by Strychnine; 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X