What's your favorite crock pot recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paul_376 View Post
    Anyone got a good chili recipe for a crock pot?
    Dragon's Breath Chili. It is a Guy Feiri recipe. You can google it or go to Food Network to find it. When I make it I alter the recipe slightly, but even making it per the recipe it is really good, IMO. I even had some people asking about it when I brought it to a pot luck last year. They were asking everyone if they knew who brought the chili and they finally found me and wanted to know if they could have the recipe. I told them that it was based on Guy's recipe with a few changes to it for my personal taste. They were floored, it was a big hit.

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
      i did a venison chili with red beans a month or so ago. turned out pretty good, so i wrote it down with a few changes for next time. i'll post it up when i get home.
      this was a recipe i combined from alton browns pressure cooker chili along with a basic crock pot chili then adapted for deer and beans.

ingredients:
      1.5 pounds meat (i used ground venison)
      1/2 pounds red beans (i always use dried whole beans from bag instead of the canned stuff)
      3 Tbl olive oil
      *3-4 Tbl butter/fat (if needed for leaner meats like venison)

16 oz of a good basic salsa. (tomato, onion, garlic, bell pepper & jalapeno. medium to hot) OR you can chop up all your own vegetation to your liking but this is a crock pot meal which means simplicity so i say salsa.

2 Tbl tomato paste.

2-3 chipotle peppers from the chipotle peppers in adobe sauce can found in the mexican section of the grocery store.
      1 Tbl of chipotle sauce from said can

1 bottle of beer (medium ale) i used a shiner bock last time and i feel like it caused some bitterness. i would go with something like old speckled hen next time.

1 Tbl of GOOD chili powder or 2-3 Tbl of bad chili powder. (good = fresh, ie blending your own from dried chilis, paprika, oregano, and cumin. it's cheap and you use 1/3rd of the amount).
      1 tsp kosher salt (assuming your chili powder doesn't have salt as a filler)

2 Tbl masa harina (optional for thickening if desired)

____

directions

rinse red beans, soak at least overnight in fridge. dump water. bring red beans to boil for 10 mins with fresh water. dump water again, drain beans and throw in crock pot on low.

add salsa or vegetation, tomato sauce, spices, salt, and 1/2 of beer.

brown meat with the oil (in batches if necessary). deglaze pan with other half of beer. add all to crock pot along with the butter.

cook 8-10 hours covered on low. you can finish the final 2 hours or so uncovered if you need to reduce further. you can also add the masa harina in the final few hours if you want.

serve with corn bread and top with cheddar.
      www.hppmotorsports.com
      ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

I think you'd have to half Guy's recipe to fit in a big crock pot, just FYI.
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I think there are more chefs on here than guys with mustangs. I'm gonna try that Carne Guisada recipe and a few others. How long does it usually take for it to be ready?

Comment

Chicken and veggies

Cut up some taters, carrots, celery, butternut squash, (mushrooms if you like them), to bite size pieces. Add the veggies to the crock pot.
            Wash a whole chicken, place in crock pot. Cut a lemon in half, squeeze half over the chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Toss the lemon halves into the chicken, add 3 sprigs of rosemary and peel 5-7 cloves of garlic and add them inside the chicken also.

Cook on low until the chicken is done. Do NOT add any water or anything, the veggies and chicken will create all the juice it needs.

Tastes great. Seems like it would be plain, but it aint!!!

Comment

Working...
            X