Is a Bushmaster .308 a good rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Bushmaster .308 a good rifle?

For some reason, I've always wanted a .308 AR. When CJ did the group buy last year or so, I was hoping it would be for the .308 but it wasn't and I ended up with my first AR15...still haven't fired it.

A friend of mine found someone in OK selling a Bushmaster .308 for $800, which seems like a steal. Do you think I'm missing something here? My main concern is why is it so cheap? Is it stolen? Broken? what?

Another question I have is where does a .223 fall short that .308 picks up the slack? Or are their capabilities similar with the exception of a bigger caliber?

I can't say I have a specific reason why I've wanted a .308 over .223 though.

Any input is greatly appreciated. And if I get it, I'll be selling my PSA AR15.

I honestly think you should keep both, if you can.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

308 is a bigger bullet and a bigger case than 223.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I have a .308 bushmaster and its good to go. No problems in 1k rounds.
        sigpic

Comment

$800 huh? Unless this guy is living under a rock...

I would probably try to meet him at the range to make sure the gun function correctly. Though, even if there was something wrong with it..you could probably still come out on top for $800
          Originally posted by Sean88gt
          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
          Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

We're trying to buy a house soon so I need to keep my expenses down. Plus. the possibility of doing this without being out any additional money was pleasing to the wife.

Dee, I know it's a bigger caliber and a little more expensive to plink but that's about it.
            FFC, thanks for the feedback
            GTracer, good idea.

I hope to contact him this evening. The website is blocked at work

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
              We're trying to buy a house soon so I need to keep my expenses down. Plus. the possibility of doing this without being out any additional money was pleasing to the wife.

Dee, I know it's a bigger caliber and a little more expensive to plink but that's about it.
              FFC, thanks for the feedback
              GTracer, good idea.

I hope to contact him this evening. The website is blocked at work
              Mainly the 308 is used for longer distance shooting and taking out larger targets. That's about it.

Comment

I don't see any reason why he could not get double of what he is asking. The 308 is a superior caliber especially if you plan on doing any hunting.
                03 cobra

Comment

It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Comment

That's a hell of a deal. I would do that. .308 delivers much more energy than .223, and is more effective at any range. Runs out of gas around 700 yards, but with hot loads stays supersonic to about 900.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

thanks for the info guys. I'm meeting him at 11am this morning. He'll only communicate through text and even then there's been a time or two it seems like he's jerking me around, hopefully I don't drive to Tulsa for nothing.

If I don't report back later this evening... y'all come looking for me.

Comment

well, this turned out to be a TOTAL waste of my day/gas/time, you name it. His text messages alone should have convinced me to pass on this deal (and I almost did) but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I got to Tulsa and this POS quit returning my texts/emails. He never would answer his phone. 12 hour round trip including wait times....for nothing! Oh well...lesson learned.

Comment

well, this turned out to be a TOTAL waste of my day/gas/time, you name it. His text messages alone should have convinced me to pass on this deal (and I almost did) but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I got to Tulsa and this POS quit returning my texts/emails. He never would answer his phone. 12 hour round trip including wait times....for nothing! Oh well...lesson learned.
                          Damn I would be pissed!
                          "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                          http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                          Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                          Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                          http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                          www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                          sigpic

Comment

thanks for the info guys. I'm meeting him at 11am this morning. He'll only communicate through text and even then there's been a time or two it seems like he's jerking me around, hopefully I don't drive to Tulsa for nothing.

If I don't report back later this evening... y'all come looking for me.
                            I wish I could have replied earlier after I read this post. My internet connection failed and I had to leave the house. Your gut feeling was telling you something. I smelled a long drive to nothing when you did.
                            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

where's chuck?

Comment

Working...
                              X