Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, Back to the the 94 Vert... (Paint Options)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Back to the the 94 Vert... (Paint Options)

With the purchase of the new Ecoboost I have been given stewardship of the 94 Vert garage queen per the Overlord of the house.

That being said, work to make it road worthy again will start soon (transmission... ugh)

Anyway, once it is moving again I need some suggestions on an inexpensive plan for a paint job.

It's highly sun damaged and the clear coat is coming off in large chunks at this point.

I have no desire to invest a large chunk of money in a proper paint job on this vehicle so what are the lower cost solutions?

Maaco? Plasti-Dip? Etc...
    Last edited by Gargamel; 04-26-2018, 08:31 AM.

Do it your self, watch youtube and learn. Buy the tools at harbor freight...stay away from Maaco and the such.

Comment

You can do it yourself if you have the patience and you're willing to put in the proper prep work. Actually painting the car won't take that long, it's all the tear down, sanding, taping, cleaning, degreasing that takes the longest. If you're not in a hurry and have basic tools I'd suggest this route.

Buy a cheap hood and learn on that... sand and repaint as many times as necessary to get it looking like you want it.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

For an alternate opinion, pay someone else to do it. Its dusty, nasty work that you don't want at your house. imo
        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          For an alternate opinion, pay someone else to do it. Its dusty, nasty work that you don't want at your house. imo
          lol... why do you think it costs so much? Paint and body is THE perfect example of getting what you pay for.
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Considering that this will probably be the last step for the vehicle's recovery, I have some time.

However, after much research I think what I'll do is prep it and primer it here, and then pay someone to spray it.

That should keep the cost down while I hear 90% of a good paint job is prep anyway.

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                lol... why do you think it costs so much? Paint and body is THE perfect example of getting what you pay for.
                Exactly.

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
                Considering that this will probably be the last step for the vehicle's recovery, I have some time.

However, after much research I think what I'll do is prep it and primer it here, and then pay someone to spray it.

That should keep the cost down while I hear 90% of a good paint job is prep anyway.
                I myself wouldn't warranty a paint job that someone else prepped...just saying.

Comment

Well,

I've decided to go ahead and try to do a tracking thread as much for my reference than anything else, but any advice you folks can give as I proceed would be helpful as I am FAR from a mechanic.

So, without further ado...

The Subject:
                  1994 Mustang Vert
                  3.8 L OHV V6
                  AODE 4-speed transmission

The Bad:
                  Door Panels - Sun damaged\cracked
                  Carpet - Stained
                  Vert Top - Torn\cracked to hell
                  Rear quarter windows - motors\regulators shot
                  Trim - Faded
                  Paint - peeling\clear coat peeling or gone
                  Engine - Has vibration from 2000-3500 RPM
                  Auto Transmission - Shot (Needs Rebuild)
                  Radiator Fan Motor - Noisy

The Good:
                  The engine runs and idles
                  No major leaks
                  I have plenty of time

Goals:
                  Phase 1 - Interior and Top
                  Phase 2 - Engine
                  Phase 3 - Transmission
                  Phase 4 - Paint

(I know this order is ass backwards)
                  Last edited by Gargamel; 04-26-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

PHASE 1 BEGINS:

Purchased from Craigslist-

Usable door panels\switches
                    Rear side windows, motors, regulators
                    Usable Vert Top, Hydraulic Motor, lines, frame, headliner

First, I did a light cleaning\trash pick up in the interior so I could at least work on the inside of the car.

Tested fitment and operation of the "newer" door panels\switches.
                    These will be pulled back off and painted\refurbished.

Here are the newer top components:

Comment

Is there sentimental value or some other reason to fix up a v6/auto/vert?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                        Yeah, jut reread and saw its a v6 and was like whaaaaat?!

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post

Yea,

It's a wife thing that's been a parking lot\garage queen for years.

She couldn't stand to let it go even with the new car.

So if it's taking up space I might as well make it streetable with as bottom dollar as possible.

(Plus I need something to do and keep me out of trouble)

This weekend is booked but the following weekend is either going to be replacing the top (if I can get some help in moving it) or ripping out and refurbishing the interior.

Total Cost so far: $275
                          Last edited by Gargamel; 04-26-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post

Total Cost so far: $275
                            Sell it now before you add another '0' to the end of this and still have a huge slow pile with no further resale value.
                            WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                              Sell it now before you add another '0' to the end of this and still have a huge slow pile with no further resale value.
                              I'm certainly not doing this for speed or the resale value.

It's more for the wife who can't let it go and 2 teen age girls that will soon be driving.

Trust me, there's a cash investment limit here.... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X