Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinnie Paul, Legendary Drummer for Pantera & Damageplan, Dead at 54

Originally posted by Billboard.com
    Drummer Vinnie Paul, co-founder of metal band Pantera, has died. Currently a member of Hellyeah, Paul was 54.

His representative confirmed the legendary drummer’s death to Billboard, but added that no further details are available at this time.

"Vincent Paul Abbott aka Vinnie Paul has passed away," reads a statement on the Pantera Facebook page. "Paul is best known for his work as the drummer in the bands Pantera and Hellyeah. No further details are available at this time. The family requests you please respect their privacy during this time."

Along with his brother, Dimebag Darrell, Paul (born Vincent Paul Abbott) formed Pantera in 1981. The group found mainstream success with second lead singer Phil Anselmo. Throughout its career, Pantera earned four Grammy nominations and charted nine albums on the Billboard 200, including its 1994 album Far Beyond Driven, which debuted at No. 1 on the chart.

Following Pantera’s demise, the Abbott brothers formed Damageplan in 2003. The band was performing on Dec. 8, 2004, when Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed onstage during a concert in Columbus, Ohio.

Since 2006, Paul was the drummer for Hellyeah, a heavy metal supergroup that also includes Mudvayne vocalist Chad Gray and Nothingface guitarist Tom Maxwell.

Born in Texas, Paul credited his Lone Star roots for his powerful groove. “The Texas thing is part of it, growing up on a healthy dose of ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I also was a metal-head from day one. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen, all my favorite bands had really great grooves to their music,” he told OnlineDrummer.com a few years ago.
    sigpic

Damn.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Fuck.
      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
      dont downshift!!
      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I wonder if he exploded?
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

God dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            I wonder if he exploded?
            too much Vegas buffet

Comment

Muthufucker!
              Saw Pantera for the first time, with their first singer at Joe's Garage in East Ft.Worth in 1984. Next time I saw them was with Phil Anselmo at The Basement in Dallas circa 1989.
              Last edited by Rick Modena; 06-23-2018, 10:13 AM.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

If you ever got to meet Vinnie, you would know this world was a better place with him in it.
                Seriously good dude....just like Dime, though I only talked with him a small handful of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                  If you ever got to meet Vinnie, you would know this world was a better place with him in it.
                  Seriously good dude....just like Dime, though I only talked with him a small handful of times.
                  This, exactly. I hung out/partied with both of them, and the rest of the guys, on a few occasions. Vinnie and Darrell were some of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. Hellraisers to the next level, but super nice guys. The Abbott brothers are back together, shaking hands, having drinks, and jammin out.
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                    Took many a shots with him at the clubhouse. When I was around 15 he offered me a beer at bronco bowl after a Rob zombie concert. Def a cool dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                      Muthufucker!
                      Saw Pantera for the first time, with their first singer at Joe's Garage in East Ft.Worth in 1984. Next time I saw them was with Phil Anselmo at The Basement in Dallas circa 1989.
                      I'm tired of that dude using my last name to get famous.
                      Originally posted by stevo
                      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Man I remember hanging out at their house in Pantego back in the 80s, my roomie was friends with all those guys, Jerry Warden and Warlock, the Gammacide boys, Rigormortis... good times back then.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                          Man I remember hanging out at their house in Pantego back in the 80s, my roomie was friends with all those guys, Jerry Warden and Warlock, the Gammacide boys, Rigormortis... good times back then.
                          Shit, we may have bumped into one another back in the day. lol
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                            I wonder if he exploded?
                            Massive heart attack, so maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                              Shit, we may have bumped into one another back in the day. lol
                              Could be. I can't say they were my close friends, more so my roomie Jaysen, who unfortunately drowned in '88. Then I lost touch with all those guys. I was more the tagalong. But still!

We did go to Joe's Garage, The Basement, Savvy's, Circle A Ranch, Theater Gallery..... etc for tons of metal and punk shows back then.

Comment

Working...
                              X