Any Tractor owners here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Tractor owners here

What's a good compact tractor? There are so many out there, Kubota, Kioti, Deere, New Holland, etc... Looking for a general purpose, mowing, with a front bucket. Too many options!

Any Tractor owners here

Are you looking to buy new or used? How much land are you maintaining? Do you mean compact or sub-compact like a Kubota BX series? If you're looking for a sub-compact, my neighbor has a sub-compact John Deere with a front end loader and a belly mower plus 3 point in the back that he would probably sell. He bought it new in 2015 and has hardly used it. They're selling the land to downsize so he may very well sell the tractor. He also has a set of forks for the front end. I can't make any promises, but will ask if you're interested.

We're on 8 acres in Rowlett. I bought a new Kubota L3901 with a backhoe (chassis mount but easily removable) in 2015. It has a front end loader (they pretty much all do now).

In addition to the hoe, I have a 3 point stump grinder that I've easily used on 75 stumps so far. A box blade that I've never used (neighbor gave it to me), a 3 point auger that I love (same neighbor also gave that to me in exchange for grinding stumps on his property, which paid me back 75% of the the stump grinder price), a cheapo but usable 5' brush hog and a set of forks for the front end loader. I also snagged a gin pole from a friend but I haven't set it up yet.

Those FEL forks are super handy - just be sure your tractor has a quick release front bucket. My dad has an 11 or 12 year old Kubota and his doesn't have the quick release FEL. He can't remove the bucket and swap on forks, a grapple, etc.

If you're buying new, Kubota offers 7 year financing at ZERO percent. Free money. I don't know about the other manufacturers, loan-wise.

As fas as choosing between the brands, I'd say start with dealership availability. If you have to drive 2 hours to a dealership, that will get old.

www.tractorbynet.com is a great resource.

Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 09-23-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
      Are you looking to buy new or used? How much land are you maintaining? Do you mean compact or sub-compact like a Kubota BX series? If you're looking for a sub-compact, my neighbor has a sub-compact John Deere with a front end loader and a belly mower plus 3 point in the back that he would probably sell. He bought it new in 2015 and has hardly used it. They're selling the land to downsize so he may very well sell the tractor. He also has a set of forks for the front end. I can't make any promises, but will ask if you're interested.

We're on 8 acres in Rowlett. I bought a new Kubota L3901 with a backhoe (chassis mount but easily removable) in 2015. It has a front end loader (they pretty much all do now).

In addition to the hoe, I have a 3 point stump grinder that I've easily used on 75 stumps so far. A box blade that I've never used (neighbor gave it to me), a 3 point auger that I love (same neighbor also gave that to me in exchange for grinding stumps on his property, which paid me back 75% of the the stump grinder price), a cheapo but usable 5' brush hog and a set of forks for the front end loader. I also snagged a gin pole from a friend but I haven't set it up yet.

Those FEL forks are super handy - just be sure your tractor has a quick release front bucket. My dad has an 11 or 12 year old Kubota and his doesn't have the quick release FEL. He can't remove the bucket and swap on forks, a grapple, etc.

If you're buying new, Kubota offers 7 year financing at ZERO percent. Free money. I don't know about the other manufacturers, loan-wise.

As fas as choosing between the brands, I'd say start with dealership availability. If you have to drive 2 hours to a dealership, that will get old.

www.tractorbynet.com is a great resource.

I am not opposed to used, but either new or used. I just bought a house on 13 acres. I just started looking, but I am looking at a Kubota BX or Deere 3 series.

Comment

What color do you like? Kubota's are good. I used to own a Kioti, 55hp cab tractor. Loved it. The only issue was parts weren't the most easily accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          What color do you like? Kubota's are good. I used to own a Kioti, 55hp cab tractor. Loved it. The only issue was parts weren't the most easily accessible.
          ha color isn't important to me. I just want a reliable machine that can do what I need it to. Hell I thought about buying an old school 60s Ford Tractor or something, but I figured I don't need the headaches of fixing and replacing something I have no clue about. This is more for productivity and not cool factor for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
            I am not opposed to used, but either new or used. I just bought a house on 13 acres. I just started looking, but I am looking at a Kubota BX or Deere 3 series.
            I text my neighbor last night and he already sold the tractor. I guess he snuck it out of the garage when I wasn't looking.

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
            ha color isn't important to me. I just want a reliable machine that can do what I need it to. Hell I thought about buying an old school 60s Ford Tractor or something, but I figured I don't need the headaches of fixing and replacing something I have no clue about. This is more for productivity and not cool factor for me.
            I'm sure you're doing your research, but are you certain that the sub compacts will do everything you need to do? If you've considered an old tractor, I suggest buying a slightly used larger tractor instead of a new sub compact. Spend the same money and get more tractor for the money. You'll rarely wish your tractor was smaller or less capable.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              I text my neighbor last night and he already sold the tractor. I guess he snuck it out of the garage when I wasn't looking.

I'm sure you're doing your research, but are you certain that the sub compacts will do everything you need to do? If you've considered an old tractor, I suggest buying a slightly used larger tractor instead of a new sub compact. Spend the same money and get more tractor for the money. You'll rarely wish your tractor was smaller or less capable.
              I don't think I have enough acreage to justify a large tractor, I also don't have a barn to store it. A compact seems to fit my needs just fine and I have an extra garage it can fit into. With rotary cutter, front bucket, and garden tiller I think that should be everything i need. I also have some woods and a creek so I am not mowing it all.

Comment

My cousin has made a small fortune selling Kubota's. He was one of the first Dealers in Pa.
                Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Yeah, go with the one that has a dealership closest to your house. They’re all priced about the same when I was shopping. I’d go Kubota, Deere, or New Holland. Get the most expensive implement that you’ll use thrown in with it. Craigslist for the other implements.

Comment

Working...
                  X