Trailer wiring / lighting /charging /winching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer wiring / lighting /charging /winching

I have a 19 Sierra AT4 and a 12 Haulmark 24' enclosed car trailer. I am about to add LED interior lighting in place of the original incandescent lights. I am also about to add a winch and a battery to power it. The winch battery will have a battery maintainer/charger attached when connected to shore power.

For the lighting, I planned on using the existing wiring that gets power from the trailer 7-pin harness. But I would also like to have it connected to the winch battery for power when the truck is disconnected or turned off.

Can the battery be put in line with the trailer power? Is it as simple as wiring the trailer 12V power to the battery and the lighting/accessories off the battery?

Thanks in advance

I'm no help when it comes to adding it to the 7 pin, but does your truck have the 110 outlet in the bed you could use for "shore power" when needed? I've got a 2020 Sierra that has that and I'm not sure what year they started putting that in there.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
      I'm no help when it comes to adding it to the 7 pin, but does your truck have the 110 outlet in the bed you could use for "shore power" when needed? I've got a 2020 Sierra that has that and I'm not sure what year they started putting that in there.
      My 19 has the outlet in the bed as well. I don't think my 15 did. I'm sure I can use it when the truck is close. I guess I'm more or less trying to make sure that putting a battery(and extra accessories) in-line with the existing trailer harness I don't screw something up on either truck or trailer.

Comment

This looks like a decent write up on the subject -

WRX

Comment

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

Comment

I used the B++ pin on my 7-pin to charge my winch battery and I haven't had any issues with it tripping a breaker or blowing a fuse. I suppose if you let the winch battery get low it could pull a lot of current through that circuit, though.

Comment

Working...
            X