Birddog0347 rescues a Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickass progress.

I'd french in that antenna on the fender, if you haven't thought about that already. Also, I want that Fox, thurbo Coyote!
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
      Kickass progress.

I'd french in that antenna on the fender, if you haven't thought about that already. Also, I want that Fox, thurbo Coyote!
      He asked me, but I still listen to normal radio and it belongs on the car... it's staying. My man has a collection that would make any of us bust a nut. It's likely on par with or more than Grape.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

• Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
        He asked me, but I still listen to normal radio and it belongs on the car... it's staying. My man has a collection that would make any of us bust a nut. It's likely on par with or more than Grape.
        I have a buddy in Tyler that we worked for me and now owns his own shop. He does great work and I can go and shoot anything I want for a song or free, but he doesn't like doing resto's anymore. Hes spoiled on insurance work and I don't blame him. Though if I ever buy something that needs that kind of work, I'm sending it to that guy, hes a true professional in a dying art...
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Well, Kevin got the quarter panel cut out today and it's the worst "repair job" ever... going to have to replace more of the inner structure too, good thing we have all that stuff from the donor car. Also it looks like we will be replacing the driver's door frame up front as it's got some terrible "repairs" as well and the lower rocker piece too.

This is how thick the bondo was on the top of the quarter near the trunk.

And where they "patched" the quarter.

also the driver's A Pillar/door mount and rocker had some rust issues they tried to "hide" with bondo, that whole structure will be cut out and replaced with the ones from the donor as well.

Stevo

Comment

• Those hacks need to be shot!

Comment

Those hacks need to be shot!
              Maybe they already have been? I mean, I've had this car for 10 years now. Kevin said he's going to have his buddy try to pull the history from the VIN, maybe there will be a clue as to what clown did all that.

Stevo

Comment

• Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                Maybe they already have been? I mean, I've had this car for 10 years now. Kevin said he's going to have his buddy try to pull the history from the VIN, maybe there will be a clue as to what clown did all that.
                I've seen some pretty bad body work, but I mainly just did newer cars that were insured, but every now and then a 30 or 40 year old car would show up and we would see shit like that, but very rarely.
                In the late 80's and early 90's we started seeing Armenian gypsies, middle eastern, etc. Start showing up with and opening shops and really doing hack jobs, some of those guys were still using brass and acetylene torches to do welds on panels and buying bondo by the cases.
                Insurance companies started cracking down and them and making them use Mig welders like they were supposed use very little plastic filler.
                Most listened and alot of them didn't give a fuck. My son has bought a couple of cars in Hack Job Row in South Ft.Worth on old 287 in Kennedale. He said shops for miles. I can only imagine the bullshit that's going on over there.

Comment

• Over the last few months Kevin (the devil on my shoulder) has been trying to convince me that I need to Terminator swap the car as well. Unfortunately, that's an expensive proposition that basically means I'd be in Coyote swap territory money wise with very little available to recoup the costs.

So ummm, I kinda did a thing today....

This past Sunday I found this 97 Cobra Vert for sale from Whiteboy, already has a built T56, upgraded clutch, COP conversion, Vortech V1 with Aftercooler, supposedly dyno'd at 475 to the wheels (feels right). The price was right, so I made my move and picked it up this afternoon. I drove it across town in traffic with no plates so I didn't get on it much at all, but whatever.

This engine, trans, supercharger is going in my fox and we will sell off the vert roller as well as my engine/trans setup so that my cost overall for the power train upgrade is pretty low, especially compared to a Terminator setup.

Stevo

Comment

• nice!!!

Comment

• This was last week when I shipped the Cobra to Kevin, nice healthy 4.6, just needs a good cleaning, detailing, and a few new gaskets to make sure it stays nice. The car had previously been tuned at Gear Heads and showed 447/403 to the wheels, but the dumbass previous owner also wanted to "pop flames".

Anyway, car arrived safely, and I've already got my old 302/T5 setup sold and have an offer on the Cobra roller so I should make out pretty good on this drive train deal.

I am planning to buy the Holley system and a fuel system from Glenn's that should support up to 1k HP even though I never intend to go that far... it'll never be a fuel issue. Plus with the Holley it will get a full tune and not "pop flames" so I'm guessing as is about 500ish to the wheels is the plan.

Also it's nice to see under the Cobra and notice that there's no nuts holding the exhaust together, ANYWHERE.

Stevo

Comment

• If you decide to part it out, i'm in for several parts.

Comment

If you decide to part it out, i'm in for several parts.
                          The Cobra? After we get the engine and trans and parts needed I'm selling the roller as a whole not a part out. That said, if you want it, it's available but it's 12.5 hours away now and we have a potential buyer for the roller coming to look at it this afternoon.

In other news, Kevin was sanding the back passenger fender down and found tons of bondo hiding some decent dents near the wheel well... currently trying to decide if we want to replace that one from the donor as well or get all to metal and pull the dents. Kevin is working on the driver's fender and rear inner structure this week though hoping to have it all welded back on and get it in primer, after that is done we will decide on the passenger rear.

Stevo

Comment

• Oh, well then glws.

I'd probably cut that quarter panel out if you have a clean replacement.

Comment

Oh, well then glws.

I'd probably cut that quarter panel out if you have a clean replacement.
                              We do, on the donor the quarter is very straight except for a 6" crease behind the wheel under the trim (where all the burnout shit sticks) so it could be cut under the trim and welded to my good lower portion there with all the filler under the trim when finished. It's really about the hours and which will be easier, but I told Kevin to handle it how he would if it was his car.

Stevo

Comment

• So this was a big week for my three cars I have at Kevin's... First off the 97 Cobra has a buyer, and he's not in a huge hurry so we don't have to be on a time crunch to pull the engine and he will give us a deposit. Between the prices for my 5.0 drive train and the sale price for the Cobra roller, it means I have the 4.6 DOCH, aftercooled Vortech supercharger, built T56 and accessories to put in my coupe for about $3,000 out of pocket, but I will still need to buy the Holley EFI as well as the fuel system (I don't know about or trust the fuel system in the Cobra so it will start fresh), so likely another $3500-4k for all that but that isn't bad AT ALL.

Kevin gave the Cobra one final shakedown on the Dragon to make sure we don't have to worry about anything mechanically.

This week's plan was to get the driver's rear fender and inner structure fully installed and welded in, and have it in epoxy. As Kevin said in his text to me this morning, the best things in life need no explanation.

And here's how it compares to his reef coupe that has not been repaired. Some fantastic work here and a huge milestone for the car.

Unfortunately, the passenger side rear fender which we *thought* was good and straight... well, ummm, let's just say it belongs on this car and isn't surprising. It too will be getting replaced, luckily we have the other from the donor car, but we don't expect anything more than a reskin as the inner structure seems to be ok, at least we think so at the moment.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                                X