TRT. Who's on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big A View Post
    Hey Dr. Dave, are there any markers to look at other than free test, LH, and TSH? Those are all "good" for me according to the doc, so I guess I haven't hit the big decline yet at 38?
    I prefer treating the patient and not the number. Those normal ranges aren't age specific. I keep my level around 1100 and my E2 in the 20s. That's where I feel the best. Any higher on the test and I have to give blood more often to keep my hematocrit down.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      This a big part of it. When I started the journey a few years ago I saw an endocrinologist (female). The lab that they used at the time said the reference range was something like 200-750. I had some labs that showed 150-160, then one that was like 210 and she said that I was "within the good range." Then I got the, "Well, you look muscular... are you sure you've never taken any drugs or anything that could affect your levels?" blah blah blah blah. She did rule out other things (thyroid, etc), but in the end she just didn't care how I felt, because I was "in the acceptable range."

I changed docs and started seeing a urologist (male) at USMD Cancer Center and before we did any labs we had long talks about how I felt now vs the past, etc. At one point I saw levels as low as 86 or so, but mostly hovering in the mid to upper 100s. After trying the gels and everything else we finally got it pretty dialed in (along with managing E2) with weekly injections and I stay steady right around 1000 right now and feel fucking great. It's a bit higher than the goal that he would set for a patient, but he has no beef with letting me keep it there. Whenever I see him, before he looks at my numbers on the lab report he asks, "how are you feeling?" Basically, as long as my hemoglobin (red blood cell) level stays below 18 I'm set.

But we are also not having kids, so that's one less thing to worry about. Like Dave and CWO mentioned, you need to talk to your Dr if kids are still in your future.
      Sounds like you found a good doctor...

What are you using for E2 suppression?

Comment

I want to get on it. Mine was around 250 last time I checked, and my doc was willing to get me started, but he warned me about the kid thing. I do plan on having kids in the next 2-5 years, so I guess I'll have to wait. I'll be 39 this month.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          I want to get on it. Mine was around 250 last time I checked, and my doc was willing to get me started, but he warned me about the kid thing. I do plan on having kids in the next 2-5 years, so I guess I'll have to wait. I'll be 39 this month.
          I was in a very similar situation and my doc put me on HCG injections along with a small daily dose of Anastrozle(sp?). I have recently come to the realization that children are just not in my wife's and I future. I went back on test last week.

You may want to check into something like that. It helped me feel a little more energy and also helped with libido. I turned 43 last March.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
            Sounds like you found a good doctor...

What are you using for E2 suppression?
            At the moment nothing. Did the Anastrozole (Arimidex) for quite a while, but apparently I'm quite sensitive to it and it worked a bit too well (E2 down below 5). I've been off completely since February waiting to see how slowly the E2 level will come back up. If I remember correctly, you're not a fan of that one, right?
            Last edited by Strychnine; 05-05-2015, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
              I was in a very similar situation and my doc put me on HCG injections along with a small daily dose of Anastrozle(sp?). I have recently come to the realization that children are just not in my wife's and I future. I went back on test last week.

You may want to check into something like that. It helped me feel a little more energy and also helped with libido. I turned 43 last March.
              What dose HCG were you using? Was this for HPTA issues or test modulation?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                At the moment nothing. Did the Anastrozole (Arimidex) for quite a while, but apparently I'm quite sensitive to it and it worked a bit too well (E2 down below 5). I've been off completely since February waiting to see how slowly the E2 level will come back up. If I remember correctly, you're not a fan of that one, right?
                Not for male hormone replacement...

You need to be on an AI. Ask for Aromasin (Exemestane). Just dose it 12.5mg e3-4days and go from there. Also, Clomid 50mg eod/e3d will help with intratesticular testosterone and libido. I like 3wks on 3wks off.

Comment

What dose HCG were you using? Was this for HPTA issues or test modulation?
                  It was a compromise for TRT because my wife and I were hanging on to any chance to have a child. My situation was further complicated by having my vasectomy reversed after 4 years. I was injecting 1ml of HCG 3 times a week.

Comment

It was a compromise for TRT because my wife and I were hanging on to any chance to have a child. My situation was further complicated by having my vasectomy reversed after 4 years. I was injecting 1ml of HCG 3 times a week.
                    I'm not a fan of HCG for TRT...1ml of what concentration?

Were you on TRT before this attempt to have children?

Comment

I'm not a fan of HCG for TRT...1ml of what concentration?

Were you on TRT before this attempt to have children?
                      1000ui

Yes sir. My previous doctor had me on test injections and didn't bother telling me anything about the drawbacks of test injections and having a child.

I'm currently injecting .3ml of test once a week now.
                      Last edited by CWO; 05-05-2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

0.3ml? Too little. I use 1cc.

And if you want to have a child, you need big doses of HCG plus HMG.

Comment

0.3ml? Too little. I use 1cc.

And if you want to have a child, you need big doses of HCG plus HMG.
                          he started me on 0.3ml so not to cause mah ballz to atrophy.?.

HMG was never mentioned

Comment

he started me on 0.3ml so not to cause mah ballz to atrophy.?.

HMG was never mentioned
                            HCG does not cause atrophy. In fact some use it while on TRT to maintain size and function and possibly fertility.
                            1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
                            TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
                            Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                              HCG does not cause atrophy. In fact some use it while on TRT to maintain size and function and possibly fertility.
                              I think you misunderstood what I said.

I used to be on HCG for the reasons you pointed out.

Comment

Who cares if they atrophy? HCG 1000iu eod for a week every 6wks will keep that in check.

Comment

Working...
                                X