Potential Cheap Build P 944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Cheap Build P 944

Yes I've always since I was a kid wanted a P car. Anyway my son is interested in learning to autoX or have a car he can take to the track. I don't want to turn him loose in a classic Corvette, so I've been considering a P 944. It'd be a father son, maintenance, repair, modify and beat on type project.

I put in an offer on one with engine issues but cosmetically pretty. If I can get it cheap enough, we might even try the $2017 GRM challenge. No, I won't ever be crazy enough to Lemons it. It's still a pretty nice car overall. I could see taking it to some PCA events and things like that. It's really nice to have a play car that you don't really care too much about.

If I really like the cheap N/A version with my son, I could always hunt down a P 951 (944 turbo) for me or a 944 S or S2.

Any one here ever play with one of these?

Parts cost a fortune. Better to find a good example rather than a beater you think you can fix on the cheap.
    1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
    TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
    Work In Progress

Comment

Buy a Miata.

Comment

BMW or a miata

Comment

There's nothing cheap about them.

If you really want cheap, get a miata. They handle better anyway.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Really though, the 944 still is one of my favorite cars as far as looks. Porsche really had a nice design and even by todays standards the turbos were no slouch. I think the OP needs to do a LS conversion!
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
              Really though, the 944 still is one of my favorite cars as far as looks. Porsche really had a nice design and even by todays standards the turbos were no slouch. I think the OP needs to do a LS conversion!
              That could become a thing. The first thing would be to get it running solid and teach Jr. how to autocross and road race with a 150hp car. It's a lot more fun and less dangerous to learn in a good handling low hp car. Then make it into an LS powered beast... that's actually a really good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                That could become a thing. The first thing would be to get it running solid and teach Jr. how to autocross and road race with a 150hp car. It's a lot more fun and less dangerous to learn in a good handling low hp car. Then make it into an LS powered beast... that's actually a really good idea.
                Funny you say that. It has "been a thing" for quite some time. Pretty sure there are conversion kits to do it.
                Last edited by lowfast; 01-13-2017, 06:07 AM.
                1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
                TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
                Work In Progress

Comment

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
                  Funny you say that. It has "been a thing" for quite some time. Pretty sure their are conversion kits to do it.
                  Yep and they are pretty bad ass. I think they start with the turbo cars since they have a better transaxle. There was one that was started for sale over in Cedar Hill off 67 for a while but I am not sure if it is still there.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Yes, but it isn't a thing for my son and I currently.... seems about as simple as a Miata LS swap overall and budgets for both are around the same too. I think we get one first and drive it as a four banger for a few years. Then we can look into the swap.

Comment

I have had 2 944's, one a turbo that turned into an all out track car, then back to a street car and an 85.5 N/A model. They are one of my favorite cars but I would recommend staying away from them if you are trying to do a project on the cheap.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to acquire an 86 turbo in two weeks. It's out of state and it could be sold before I get there although I'm thinking I will show up cash in hand first.

Comment

95% sure I pick up the Porsche in less than 36 hours.

Comment

Nearly 30 year old fuel lines that run inside the car....Need I say more?

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                              Nearly 30 year old fuel lines that run inside the car....Need I say more?
                              Already addressed on this car already no with new brakes etc, but she ain't purdy.

Comment

Working...
                              X