DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #101
Big A
Lifer
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 43,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
yes everybody has so much choo choo cowskins that they can buy a tow rig just to pull their new bronco, base camp (or boat), and orvs out to the camp grounds. Or even emergency towing 4300 lbs back to civilization, which seems risky on 3500lb cap and turbos
This is the crux of my problem, I'm a cowskin rig or two behind the curve, and would like to be able to tow a 6k pound boat without needed the expense of a fourth vehicle. Maybe in time there will be an airbag setup available that would make short trips to the lake feasible. Especially if the Bronco Raptor and/or v8 version becomes a reality.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #102
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex ģ
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Still not luvin da police...
Posts: 33,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
yes everybody has so much choo choo cowskins that they can buy a tow rig just to pull their new bronco, base camp (or boat), and orvs out to the camp grounds. Or even emergency towing 4300 lbs back to civilization, which seems risky on 3500lb cap and turbos
Wha?

Dude, I didn't build the damn thing. Its not made to tow a boat or for someone to tow a car to the track. I'm sure it has enough to get you to the camp ground with all the basic shit you need. How much stuff does someone need to go camping, mudding or rock climbing?
You want the new Bronco to tow or enough to bring an orv, what kind of ORV, like a 4-wheeler or ATV? Most people that want do those things will have a truck or big SUV. This new Bronco is for going out and having Jeep type of fun, you want it to tow shit, get you a tow rig, son...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #103
Big A
Lifer
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 43,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
Wha?

Dude, I didn't build the damn thing. Its not made to tow a boat or for someone to tow a car to the track. I'm sure it has enough to get you to the camp ground with all the basic shit you need. How much stuff does someone need to go camping, mudding or rock climbing?
You want the new Bronco to tow or enough to bring an orv, what kind of ORV, like a 4-wheeler or ATV? Most people that want do those things will have a truck or big SUV. This new Bronco is for going out and having Jeep type of fun, you want it to tow shit, get you a tow rig, son...
As posted above Henry, there is a segment of the population that would like to be able to do some towing without investing yet another $60k for a tow rig. No, the Bronco is not an F150, but conversely and F150 isn't as of road capable as the Bronco due to it's size, and doesn't offer the doors off experience that the Bronco does. I would argue that the 4-door Bronco is a good in between size, and IMHO the 3,500 tow rating doesn't make sense.

I've got the same issue with the X4 in terms of towing, and am hoping that with a tow package the Bronco will bridge that gap, so that I can get better towing capability along with the upgraded off road capability.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #104
Ruffdaddy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,457
Default

Im with Henry on this.

I dont understand why it's hard to comprehend that different vehicles are designed for different things. 3500lb tow rating is the exact same as a wrangler and was likely higher than the wrangler when they started the design process.

Edit: To get a higher tow rating you have no choice but to sacrifice offroad performance. I will bet way more people care about theoretical offroad performance than Theoretical towing performance.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #105
Big A
Lifer
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 43,601
Default

I'm totally fine with that, and can only hope that either the aftermarket comes through, or a big bonus does. The world has too many toys, and I want them all.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #106
Ruffdaddy
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
I'm totally fine with that, and can only hope that either the aftermarket comes through, or a big bonus does. The world has too many toys, and I want them all.
I'm sure they will release a towing package at some point for a price premium and with a weight/ride sacrifice. The fact that the first editions sold out twice should give an indicator of customer's willingness to go for the premium options.

I can also see a situation where an exec doesn't want the bronco to compete with a raptor while also sacrificing performance. I really hope that isn't the case here, but I cant say I haven't been in meetings were a project was killed because it would compete with an existing high margin product.
Ruffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #107
dblack1
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,330
Default

Where's the gvwr at?
dblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #108
John -- '02 HAWK
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 2,638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Modena View Post
Dude, I didn't build the damn thing.
you sure are acting like a market segment manager when you say that what the jeep does is what the segment does and the market cant do anything different just because.

For the record I agree that this isn't the vehicle for towing regularly. But damn if wouldn't it be nice to pull a trailer to an unimproved base camp and then offload the kids toys and then take off to do some trail driving in the fancy 4x4



John -- '02 HAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #109
lincolnboy
By da people fo da people
 
lincolnboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Making Caking, Wyoming
Posts: 3,895
Default

In the future there will be electric motor powered trailers. This will assist low powered vehicles to haul trailers......
lincolnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #110
Big A
Lifer
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 43,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnboy View Post
In the future there will be electric motor powered trailers. This will assist low powered vehicles to haul trailers......
Horsepower isn't an issue for a vehicle like the Bronco, the suspension, wheelbase, overall weight, and in some cases the brakes are the limiting factors more often than pulling power, especially in a flat state like Texas.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #111
Strychnine
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 20,951
Default

Sorry, gents


Quote:
Ford Bronco Won't Ever Get Factory V8 Option

Even before the Ford Bronco was born this year, talks about a V8 engine residing under its hood have circulated as early as last year. But those speculations were more of wishful thinking rather than an educated guess, and several reports have come out that it's unlikely to happen despite the apparent demand from the enthusiasts.

However, an interview from Muscle Cars & Trucks could potentially be the final nail in the Bronco V8 coffin. According to Ford Global Program Manager Jeff Seaman and Bronco Chief Engineer Eric Loefller, a V8-powered Bronco will not come to fruition – and there are good reasons for that.

Emission regulations are the major issue here, according to Loefller. "We have to manage the CO2 implications of the product. The way the federal requirements are now it’s all shadow area (footprint) based. If you look at the shadow area of a small off-road vehicle, it has a pretty high target from a government perspective in terms of CO2," said Loefller in his interview with Muscle Cars & Trucks.

He also added that refutes the claim of the demand for a Coyote V8 inside a Bronco. According to him, the primary considerations of customers are horsepower, torque, capability, and fuel economy – all of which can be achieved with the Bronco’s 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6. If those primary considerations, as Loefller pointed out, are already covered with the V6, then there's no sense in offering a V8 and pay emission fines in the process. Seaman, on the other hand, is pretty confident with how the EcoBoost V6 would satisfy its future owners, so much so that they won't be wishing for a bigger engine.

A Bronco V8 could still happen, thanks to the abundance of aftermarket companies in the U.S., but that in itself could pose a challenge because of the Bronco's over-the-air updates.

https://www.motor1.com/news/443697/f...not-happening/
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #112
jw33
These go to eleven...
 
jw33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
Posts: 12,016
Default

jw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:36 PM   #113
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,571
Default

Towing toys and campers is why there will always be a 4 runner, Tacoma and Colorado type vehicle. My Z71 isnít technically as capable as a Bronco buy Iíve had it offroad in some pretty crazy areas. I donít need more capable, but I do need towing. If you need to tow you can also look at the Gladiator and Ranger. If you need more offroad and towing there are TRD Pro choices and the ZR2 Bison.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #114
juiceweezl
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
The sad part here to me is that you can't get the 2.7 eco without getting the automatic transmission. I have one reserved, but I want manual and that engine vs. the 4 cyl.
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:17 AM   #115
Big A
Lifer
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 43,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Towing toys and campers is why there will always be a 4 runner, Tacoma and Colorado type vehicle. My Z71 isnít technically as capable as a Bronco buy Iíve had it offroad in some pretty crazy areas. I donít need more capable, but I do need towing. If you need to tow you can also look at the Gladiator and Ranger. If you need more offroad and towing there are TRD Pro choices and the ZR2 Bison.
The point is that a sacrifice is to be made, one way or the other. In that same vein, I also came across the new Defender, which can pull 8,500lbs, and has the airbags from the factory, which to me seems to be the closest one can get to the best of both worlds. It also gives me hope that the Bronco tow rating is being underrated initially, and that with the tow package they'll bump up those rookie numbers.

Bronco numbers aside, the new Defender is definitely on my short list too. I personally don't need buggy capability (even though the Rubicon Trail is now in my backyard), would probably prefer the nicer interior, and want the shorter-than-a-truck wheelbase.

https://www.landroverusa.com/vehicle...der/index.html
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #116
John -- '02 HAWK
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 2,638
Default

Ford just copyrighted the name warthog and released this pic of a bronco warthog/raptor doing testing.



circles are stuff that is different than from the bronco. Any bets as if there is a bigger v6 in that package(s)?
John -- '02 HAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #117
Sgt Beavis
I am the Great Cornholio.
VIP Member
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 15,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
Ford just copyrighted the name warthog and released this pic of a bronco warthog/raptor doing testing.



circles are stuff that is different than from the bronco. Any bets as if there is a bigger v6 in that package(s)?
I think a bigger V6 is all but guaranteed. Perhaps even the HO EB3.5 from the current F150 Raptor. The question for me is will it be a Baja runner or a capable crawler.

That said, i'm not sure I'm going to get one. I have a Raptor pickup and a Bronco will strictly be a crawler for me. So the Badlands with the Sasquatch package should fit my needs. The only extra thing I want for it is 37 or 38" tires.
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #118
quikag
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,886
Default

Yeah, Ford Warthog sounds awesome. Bronco Raptor. Sgt. Beavis, I hope it's both a Baja runner and capable crawler. The Raptor can crawl decent considering it's approach departure angles and it being super wide relative to a Jeep, so I don't see any reason why Ford can't do both reasonably well with a Warthog.

All that said, I'm unlikely to trade my Raptor in on a Warthog as I do tow occasionally (car trailer) and throw crap in the bed, so a truck works better for me currently.
__________________
Ford
GM
Toyota
VAG
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #119
Sgt Beavis
I am the Great Cornholio.
VIP Member
 
Sgt Beavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 15,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikag View Post
Yeah, Ford Warthog sounds awesome. Bronco Raptor. Sgt. Beavis, I hope it's both a Baja runner and capable crawler. The Raptor can crawl decent considering it's approach departure angles and it being super wide relative to a Jeep, so I don't see any reason why Ford can't do both reasonably well with a Warthog.

All that said, I'm unlikely to trade my Raptor in on a Warthog as I do tow occasionally (car trailer) and throw crap in the bed, so a truck works better for me currently.

Yea, Iím kinda in love with my Raptor. Itís the breakover angle that gets in the way of crawling for me but itís been outstanding. Iím Ďtechnicallyí getting the new Bronco for my wife to replace my old Jeep that she currently drives.
Sgt Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #120
John -- '02 HAWK
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 2,638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I think a bigger V6 is all but guaranteed. Perhaps even the HO EB3.5 from the current F150 Raptor. The question for me is will it be a Baja runner or a capable crawler.
I'm thinking they release both a Warthog for crawling and the Raptor as a runner and they will have lots of the mall cruiser accessories already
John -- '02 HAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nay og oj, nice fj land rover, ovrprcdshit, ruff not bronco engineer, samsquash, speclplaceforoj

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.